Can a Hobbs meter be reset to zero?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fly_boy_bc

I am purchasing some used instruments. They come with an electric Hobbs. I know the answer is probably "NO WAY" :dis: but perhaps it's not as securely set as an auto odometer.

Anybody know how to zero a Hobbs?

Gary in BC

TFF

No. They are sealed. When put in, usually one logs the number on the new meter in the maint logs and total time at that point. I opened one up with a hammer once.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
They are actually fairly easy to reset. The trick is to get the case apart without destroying it. For $25 it generally isn't worth the time. I though I had one setting out in the truck to take a pic of but this internet find will have to do.

The basic idea is to slide the wheels apart, re-index, and reassemble. Electronic ones are a whole different animal.

Attachments

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
I estimate 10 minutes work.
Estimates are nice, but how much would you - bid - for the job as a subcontractor? :gig:

I'd plan on a full hour for the first one. Takes me about 20 minutes if I don't drop something behind the work bench :emb: and I have all the tools handy. Seems like I'm always out of somethig, be it Dremel saws or glue.

batesjoe

Not a directly related observation here, but this thread brought back an old memory. As a young mechanic, many years ago, I recall a flight school down the ramp that would accomplish their 100-hour inspections by changing the Hobbs meter. The guy that ran the place had a desk drawer full of them. The FAA was notified and the school was shut down very quickly.