Quantcast

Camp on Airport in IA?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
So after driving the F-350/Lance Truck Camper from CA to CT to get my son and then back again (for sightseeing, mostly to places I'd never been before), I now need to bring him back to CT to his fiance' and job, keeping Amazon Web Services from going under, along with the universe as we know it (You THINK you're not dependent on AWS - little do you know...).

The return trip will be by COZY MKIV. I've got a place for us to stay the first night in Co. Springs in a camper at a friend's place at KFLY, but I need to find a place to camp next to the plane in (I think) eastern IA. We'll be heading up to Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore after KFLY, and then turning east for a few hours - hence the need for a place in IA. Finding airports that allow camping is (apparently) non-trivial. I've got a few leads, but if anyone can point me to paved, >4k ft. runway airports in eastern IA that allow camping, I'd be eternally (well, a week, anyway) grateful.

Thanks.

Deuelly

Log Member
If you want to stop through KGDB in south western Minnesota I could take you through our WWII museum Marc. It's probably not a long enough leg from Rushmore for camping but you could if you'd like.

Brandon

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I don't think many allow camping but might not care. Depends on what you call camping. Overnight only or set up for a few days?
I have overnighted at unattended fields. Just set up a tent at dusk and pack up at dawn without asking permission is what I do in Alaska and Canada.
At the Terrace BC airline security airport we slept overnight in the plane with the seats reclined, I think. It was cold at night.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Overnight only or set up for a few days?
One night - next day to KDXR in two legs.

I have overnighted at unattended fields. Just set up a tent at dusk and pack up at dawn ...
Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I don't know enough to know which those might be or where it's safe to do so...

Just looking for some local experience.

TFF

You might check the Marion Iowa airport. It’s surrounded by corn. Only ghost ball players out there. The city owns it now, but the old owner would probably be game and she is still around daily if she is not quarantining.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking, "no problem" until I looked back at the OP and noticed ">4k runway", those kinds of airports are less friendly to camping than the ones I hang out at.

DXR is interesting, surrounded by hills. I've only been there once, to pick up a Quicksilver ultralight that I'd never even seen and fly it back to SNC.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I believe Marion paved their runway awhile ago. Iowa used to have a number of airports but with the economy and the windstorm I would call first.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Marc,

Not able to recommend an airport in IA, but "Camping Allowed?" used to (and might still) be on the AFD info questionnaire.

Many airports that I have stopped at skip that question, but then tell you where to park and camp when I have called and asked...

As an alternative, I have called EAA chapter presidents and found myself with offers of a ride and place to camp. You are semi-famous in the EAA, you might get a warmer welcome than you think.

Bill

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Enjoy the Midwestern hospitality and prepare for all types of weather.

Pilot-34

Are used to call ahead and ask how late fuel services were And asking if it was all right if I camped on the field if I got in after that
Usually I got one of two answers “don’t worry about it just give me a call I’ll come fuel yup”

OR

Don’t worry about it just give me a call and Ethel will come pick you up.

t46craft@yahoo.com

We traveled a lot in the summers by pickup and medium size 5th wheel. Would stop at small grass and paved airports around 4:00 PM and ask if it was OK to spend the night and we were self contained. NEVER had a turn down and most offered kitchen, lounge and shower. It is a different world than here in California. Fly careful, watch the afternoon weather and have a good trip. Jerry

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
So just a followup - Clinton IA (KCWI) was a nice place to camp (if nowhere near walking distance to anywhere). Friendly FBO worker, easy parking, camping 15 ft. from the plane - what's not to like. The 24 hr. lounge was warm with a clean bathroom, reading material, games, and wifi.

TXFlyGuy

I grew up in Fort Dodge, about 90 miles north of Des Moines. Still have lots of family there. Iowa is a good state. I see Clinton is a "border town". Glad it worked out for you.

Bitter cold winters, though.

Last edited: