California Company Reinvents the Rotary Engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
[FONT=PT Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "[/FONT][FONT=PT Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dream of it also with 76% less moving parts than your normal piston engine so there is less to wear out resulting in great reliability![/FONT][FONT=PT Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"[/FONT]

[FONT=PT Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amazing how modern 4 stroke engines keep adding complexity and keep getting more powerful, better fuel economy, much cleaner emissions and incredibly reliable with huge mileage but everyone of these "new world saving engines" claims differently.

Go to Google patents and search "rotary engine" .....
[/FONT]

cheapracer

Log Member
Just remember that the only reason Mazda even survived their trials and tribulations with their rotary that eventually sent them broke was because, unlike this one, it is the most viable of all the rotary designs that have ever been proffered and that also NSU had already done a lot of the development for 10 years prior and in an era when emissions and fuel economy weren't an issue.

nerobro

Log Member
The side corners and apex seals on the mazda were the big problem there. How do they expect to seal the corners on that thing... with many more corners to seal.

oy.

Mazda never really solved the apex seal problem. Just made them big enough to last a couple hundred thousand miles under light use.

Aviator168

The side corners and apex seals on the mazda were the big problem there. How do they expect to seal the corners on that thing... with many more corners to seal.
Of all the rotary designs I have seen on the internet. All of them have corners to seal; but the corners are not mazda's only problem. The ever moving combustion chamber is a show stopper.

nerobro

Log Member
Well, there's also a big issue with combustion chamber area. The more surface area, the more heat load you need to deal with.

Mazda addressed the moving combustion chamber by using multiple spark plugs. That's really not a huge issue.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Are prizes being handed out for negative thinking?
Not negative thinking. Long and bitter experience. If I had $5 for every new "miracle engine that's going to revolutionize the industry" that I've seen flung across the pages of magazines and across the Intertubes, only to later vanish into the weeds from whence it came, I wouldn't need to save up to build my airplane.

I'm curious to see this thing operating, how about you?
Of course. And I'd love to see a hundred of them happily buzzing away on the noses of small sportplanes. But I'm not going to hold my breath. The odds of this turning out to work the way they claim, and then be developed for production, and then a viable company be built up around it, are somewhere between "slim" and "snowball in the hot place." Again, not negative thinking - just clearly definable odds based upon past experience.

Dan Thomas

Not negative thinking. Long and bitter experience. If I had $5 for every new "miracle engine that's going to revolutionize the industry" that I've seen flung across the pages of magazines and across the Intertubes, only to later vanish into the weeds from whence it came, I wouldn't need to save up to build my airplane.
How true. When I was young, me and my peers would get all excited about such new stuff. The old guys would dismiss it. To us, they were old fuddy-duddies. But they had seen an awful lot of "revolutionary" ideas in their time, too, that came to nothing. The whole Industrial Revolution has been nothing but new ideas, a very few of which have succeeded, with the rest vanishing and sometimes being resurrected as "new."

It can be really informative to go to a flea market and buy a boxful of Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated or Popular Science magazines from the '50s and '60s and '70s and go through them. Full of exciting, completely useless or unworkable revolutionary ideas and inventions that make one suspect that their primary reason for being dreamed up was to sell magazines.

There were really good projects in those mags, though, but they weren't on the front cover.

Dan

nerobro

Log Member
Man, that's going to come to haunt me. I was getting at that I've never heard of a RX7 making it past 150k on the factory seals. I fully expect the rings on my mazda to make it 300k..

cheapracer

Log Member
Are prizes being handed out for negative thinking?

I'm curious to see this thing operating, how about you?

LuPi
Seriously, for an eyeopener go to Google Patents and search for rotary engines - and spare a couple of weeks to go through them all.

The above engine has been patented before many times in it's basic form and I am surprised how much they get away with in minor detail in order to get a completely new patent again.

Group Builder