California Bans Small Off-Road Gas Engines, Including Lawnmowers and Chainsaws

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

No one said fully charge a lipo with nickel metal setting. Just boost the low cell over the threshold voltage so it can be then charged on the lipo setting. We use to get bad batteries at the RC field and them burn them up on the field charger. Better that trying to take them home and set off in the car or house. Poof and a little fire. All done. I’m still a glow flyer. I want my little engine.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm with you, pops. The last car or mortgage payment I made was in 1980. I sold my house and built my present one with the profits. When I want a car I buy a total from the insurance company at Copart Auto Auctions and fix it (If you can build an airplane you can UNtotal a car). Presently a nice Mercedes for my wife, a Corvette for me plus a Prius and a Dodge 4X4 pickup, all reconstructed totals. Second best thing to being rich is looking rich - LOL.
I usually take 4/6 months looking for the right car that I want. I decide what I want, and how much I want to spend and try to find the best car for what I want to spend. At this time I'm looking for a 4X4 small truck with the extended cab to drive out my daughter's private road to her off grid farm. Looked at 2 this last week.
I built our first new house as I had the money and lived in it for 27 years with no mortgage payments. And like you built the present house and hanger on the airpark with the profits from the first house. Thinking of selling again and had it appraised a while back. At 81 years old we are going to down size.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I just deleted 11 posts that were not just drifting, but drifting into both politics and personal attacks. Enough! No one got points, but KNOCK IT OFF!

Little airplanes we make ourselves. Technical discussions. Practical issues. Talk politics elsewhere... Got it?

Terrh

So, did anyone figure out how to build a battery powered generator yet?

What about a water pump that can run 24/7 for a week when we get bad rain?

Sure am glad I don't live in california... Well, I'd just make sure I had a good one now and a good spare and not worry about it, but still... seems dumb to ban things that are obviously not possible in battery powered formats, and are 100% necessary in emergency situations.

I'm still totally on board with gas powered lownmowers, chainsaws, etc going away. If I have to fix my riding mower one more time I'll lose my mind.

Terrh

You might want to rethink that, current technology builds popular rechargeable off-road vehicles capable of wide-open throttle for more than a hour at a time.
I'm gonna need to ask who, and what?

As best I can tell, there's nothing remotely close to an electric ATV, side by side, or dirt bike, that has remotely close to the power of a gas one, or the runtime of a gas one. I'd gladly buy one if there was (a dirt bike that is).

Daleandee

There are several companies that build rechargeable zero turn lawnmowers capable of mowing up 5 acres
But you gotta charge these things and power to do that has to come from somewhere. Nearby we have one of these:

1634446970078.png

Besides the cost of buying the thing I would have to look the other way when I drive by the power generating station burning all that nasty coal in order to charge my zero emissions, zero turn mower. TANSTAAFL

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I still have dreams of all the measurements in installing all of that "Stuff".

Reactions: BJC

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
But you gotta charge these things and power to do that has to come from somewhere. Nearby we have one of these:

View attachment 117037

Besides the cost of buying the thing I would have to look the other way when I drive by the power generating station burning all that nasty coal in order to charge my zero emissions, zero turn mower. TANSTAAFL
Not my fault that’s your choice. I merely stated that there are electric zero turn mowers available

BJC

HBA Supporter
I still have dreams of all the measurements in installing all of that "Stuff".
Yup, spent lots of time and effort getting them started up, tested, and incorporated into standard operating procedures.

Pops, I enjoyed all of my time working in all areas of small and large power plants - design, construction, start-up, operations, maintenance, overhauls, and modifications. Been over, under, around, and through every part of a plant. It is a 24/7 job that owns your life. Averaged well over 3,000 hours a year in the plants.

Sounds like you might have enjoyed it too.

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yup, spent lots of time and effort getting them started up, tested, and incorporated into standard operating procedures.

Pops, I enjoyed all of my time working in all areas of small and large power plants - design, construction, start-up, operations, maintenance, overhauls, and modifications. Been over, under, around, and through every part of a plant. It is a 24/7 job that owns your life. Averaged well over 3,000 hours a year in the plants.

Sounds like you might have enjoyed it too.

BJC
Yes, I enjoyed it. You never stop learning. I have worked in so many power plants that I would have to dig out my work career notes trying to remember them all. Lots of good memories of working with a lot very nice people. The traveling got old quick.
My family was part of starting Union Boiler Corp. All the other partners in starting the company were all old family friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
California banned cheaper non-carb (California Air Resources Board) compliant engines many ago years. Honda complied. This is nothing new except the total ban (instead of compliant emissions) and is regressive and hurts the poorest that will subsidize the rich that buy these expensive products.

Daleandee

That is water vapor being discharged from a sulfur removal scrubber, with a catalytic converter upstream that has dramatically reduced the NOx content.
So this is clean energy? I know we have clean coal technology just not sure where it is being used.

Daleandee

Not my fault that’s your choice. I merely stated that there are electric zero turn mowers available
There is not a "fault" here. I was after the point (you either missed or ignored it) that the energy has to come from somewhere. Which is the "cleaner" way to do it? Clean coal technology is available and even what we have now is arguably cleaner than the mining, manufacturing, & disposal, of the current battery technology used in these devices. Look at the electricity required to charge an electric vehicle. When a city of a few hundred thousand people start connecting to the power grid the power plants will need to be highly upgraded (burning more coal) or limit output.

I'm not saying we won't get there but parading the righteousness of electric power while ignoring the not so pretty truth that there is a substantial downside biases the argument.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have said it on this site before, takes about 10 years to get a new coal or nuke power plant on line from beginning to on line. They are way behind in getting what will be needed, started and it looks like electric will be rationed until it is, maybe that is the plan. Electric autos and airplanes may not be able to be used as much as people would like or think they will. The inter structure could have been built in time, but that time is very, very short or past.
We really have no shortage of energy on this earth, just don't have the technology to harness enough for unlimited use.
We really are not as smart and some believe.
Nikola Tesla ?

Last edited: