California Bans Small Off-Road Gas Engines, Including Lawnmowers and Chainsaws

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I thought battery chainsaws would be a joke for at least a few more years. However, I had a neighbor have two trees taken down by professional crews at the end of last week. I was curious why it was much quieter than normal when tree crews are there. So I wondered over, and they were using battery powered chainsaws.
Each worker had a couple spare batteries, they had charging packs hooked up in the truck.
I asked why? The answer was less maintenance, less hassle, and easier to keep charged than fueled.
The batteries are also swappable with all the other equipment they have.

Tim
My daughter (farmer) bought a battery powered chainsaw. I have a large Stihl chain saw and doesn't take long for my arms the get tired with all the weight. Tried the electric, light weight , easy to handle and did a good job on cutting trees for a cabin. When the battery is going down, so am I. Going to have to buy one.
Just in the local news. Of all the electric generating coal fired power plants in this state, it was decided 3 can stay running. Maybe you can be able to drive your new electric auto around the block. Looks like the prices of horses will be going up.

Last edited:

tspear

So they are switching from small gas engines to idleing their work truck all day to charge batteries. Im guessing on a net fuel burn basis, more will be burnt by the idleing trucks?

Its pretty easy math.
It depends. Pipistrel sells a standard electric charging station. The battery tech company behind Diamond's proposed offering sells both a truck solution and standard charging station.
I think the truck solution is a great interim solution.

Tim

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
MODERATOR MODE ON:

I had to delete a post advocating violence and several others complaining about this thread without pointing out the offending posts nor violations of the CoC. Folks, if you spot a post that seems to violate the Code of Conduct, hit the Report button on the post, write something useful, and send the Report.

There are three moderators, all are unpaid, have lives outside of HBA.com and read only the threads that interest us unless someone brings a post to our attention. Asking us to do something in a post is like taking pictures at a wreck instead of calling the emergency authorities. We do not know, so we can not respond.

Next is that we may lock a thread, but we only rarely ever delete one. This thread is trying my patience...

See something, tell us by hitting the report button. Let's try to stay on stuff related to our little airplanes.

MODERATOR MODE OFF:

Bill

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
I suggest everyone watch the movie (Soylent green) . Charlton Heston (1973) . It's about the year 2022 . Interesting .

TFF

My wife cooked the battery on my brand new electric weed eater. Probably used 10 times. She tried to get every last volt out of it. That is the issue of all the battery things. Either you have to have a smart voltage cut off or be careful. She would let it rest and recover until the resting voltage is lower than safety cutoff. She just needed 5 more minutes. I’m going to see if I can cheat the charge. It will prevent you from charging, but it doesn’t cut off until too late. RC learned 25-50% of charge has to be the no go area or battery is junk. That depends on quality how deep you can go. I know Tesla will leave you stranded for these thresholds. Very hard to have a battery shut down if you need a go around or two more miles to the runway in an airplane because of headwinds. I would hate to trash a battery that could fly a Cessna 150. It would be a $10-20k mistake.

Battery planes are here but they have not arrived.

As for the battery being part of the airframe, that is an international specification that world records are issued by. FAA doesn’t have to follow, but it is considered convention by the FAI so no reason in rule land to not follow along with the rest of the world.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
You can bypass the RC charger by selecting NIMH to get the charge back up so it reads it as a good Lithium.
Doesn't usually work if the battery is too far gone.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
...all you have to do not to break the law is not sell the engines. Hardly seems onerous...
If I were planning a Micromaster or similar project and lived in Tehachapi, I might be a little irked to have to drive to Las Vegas to secure a simple lawn mower engine. Good thing for Igor Spacek that perhaps the EU is now a larger free-trade zone than California, at least in this narrow respect.

You mods do good work; I would support doubling your pay.
2*e^(pi*i) = ?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Cahching...
(Without comment on the rest of the quoted post) Sadly, most folks alive today don't even know the actual sound of a cash register, reminding you of the pain of parting with your dollars. It's almost comical to pay with cash nowadays and watch someone struggle to count out change. Even the relatively painless sound of a credit slip being carbon-copied (schick-chick) is lost on today's populace. All of the "transactional friction" has been removed.

daveklingler

Where doe's everyone think this (all electric) krap will come from ? Cahching , China .🛩
Yep. We Americans have lost the ability to look ahead to see where the market's going and get there first, like the good capitalists from Chi...wait...what?

So far as I can tell, California is banning emissions, not ICEs. The justfication they're putting out is that operating a gasoline-powered leaf blower for one hour produces as much volatile organic compounds and NOx as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from New York City to Orlando, Florida.

With the Rotax ETEC engines as my reference, I've come to the conclusion that electronic ignition direct-injection two-strokes pretty much make four-strokes obsolete. So far as I know, there isn't any inherent reason a small electronically-controlled two-stroke couldn't pass the new California emissions standards; mass-produced, they should be as cheap or nearly as cheap as the carbureted variety, but far more reliable. I'd love to see small ICEs make the long-awaited leap forward.

If that happens, loggers will be pretty happy, and small airplane builders will jump for joy. And you won't have to rebuild the carbs once or twice a season.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
“It's almost comical to pay with cash nowadays and watch someone struggle to count out change.”
Went to the local Qdoba last week and paid with cash. The girl working the register had to call the manager over because she didn’t know what to do with the money! When the drawer popped open I saw that the change partitions were empty. Fortunately I had correct change so the manager told her to put the change in the little partitions. They weren’t busy so I started talking to the manager. She said it’s not uncommon for her to work 2 shifts and never get cash.
Times they are a-changing…

Last edited:

Kiwi303

“It's almost comical to pay with cash nowadays and watch someone struggle to count out change.”
Went to the local Qdoba last week and paid with cash. The girl working the register had to call the manager over because she didn’t know what to do with the money! When the drawer popped open I saw that the change partitions were empty. Fortunately I had correct change so the manager told her to put the change in the little partitions. They weren’t busy so I started talking to the manager. She said it’s not uncommon for her to work 2 shifts and never gat cash.
Times they are a-changing…
Feel like getting a subdermal RFID chip in your hand? no need to carry a card, can't loose your paywave unless you lose your hand, in which case you have bigger issues than paying for that mocha-hazelnut-frappe-latte-frozen-bubble-almondmilk-java-pumpkinspice-caramel-matcha grande.[/QUOTE]

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
From the famous Hertz commercial, "Not Exactly"

We sometimes get ice storms in the winter, hurricanes in the summer, and power outages now and again in the hood. So my little generator needs to be always in "ready to go at a moments notice mode." Well if it sits in the shed and never gets any run time it will be difficult to use when required. But if I get it out every few weeks and let it chomp up a some hydrocarbons then it works well.

In fact there's something quite satisfying about setting the choke just right and getting that little B&S engine to fire off and run smoothly on the first pull. The sound of it under a light labor while listening to the whine of the electric chainsaw hogging up a 12" tree trunk is exhilarating.

I would suggest that you don't know what you are missing! ;)
Good lord what kind of Hades do you live in? When I first moved to Illinois from Alaska(August 20 1977 20° 12 inches of snow) to Illinois I literally thought I had died and gone to Hades. As I tried to step off the plane onto the freshly paved asphalt in front of the terminal in Decatur Illinois I will never forget that first breath of 99° and 99% humidity.

Your place sounds worse!

Pilot-34

I remember during flight school just east of St. Louis Missouri I would takeoff on a beautiful sunshiny day with blue skies not a cloud to be seen absolutely glorious.
And on climb out at 1500 or 2000 etc. You would cross a line and realized below you you had climbed out of the yellow -orange scum.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
So far as I know, there isn't any inherent reason a small electronically-controlled two-stroke couldn't pass the new California emissions standards;
This is one of the attributes of our regulators that I really would like to see change. They too often take the easy way out and just shotgun the problem. Setting performance standards rather than dictating the engineering path would free up a lot of options.............some of which migh just be better than the?

Feel like getting a subdermal RFID chip in your hand?
I seriously considered this for myself 20 years ago. I hate keys. The idea of simply walking up to my car/house door and having the locks respond automatically is still attractive. Could be dangerous for some in some situations.

Pilot-34

This is one of the attributes of our regulators that I really would like to see change. They too often take the easy way out and just shotgun the problem. Setting performance standards rather than dictating the engineering path would free up a lot of options.............some of which migh just be better than the?

I seriously considered this for myself 20 years ago. I hate keys. The idea of simply walking up to my car/house door and having the locks respond automatically is still attractive. Could be dangerous for some in some situations.
Don’t go there.
That would lead to much logical advancement and unemployment among politicians writing stupid laws to correct other stupid laws which lead to more stupid laws.

If we had a general discussion forum I could write all day long on effects of prohibiting thingsInstead of requiring performance

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yep. We Americans have lost the ability to look ahead to see where the market's going and get there first, like the good capitalists from Chi...wait...what?

So far as I can tell, California is banning emissions, not ICEs. The justfication they're putting out is that operating a gasoline-powered leaf blower for one hour produces as much volatile organic compounds and NOx as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from New York City to Orlando, Florida.

With the Rotax ETEC engines as my reference, I've come to the conclusion that electronic ignition direct-injection two-strokes pretty much make four-strokes obsolete. So far as I know, there isn't any inherent reason a small electronically-controlled two-stroke couldn't pass the new California emissions standards; mass-produced, they should be as cheap or nearly as cheap as the carbureted variety, but far more reliable. I'd love to see small ICEs make the long-awaited leap forward.

If that happens, loggers will be pretty happy, and small airplane builders will jump for joy. And you won't have to rebuild the carbs once or twice a season.
Bad fuel.