• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calculation question: for a wide cockpit is it correct to consider the wingspan only the sum of the wings lenght?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnaldojrbr

My question raised after many spreadsheet calculations considering both. I'm drawing a WIG craft with capabilites of flying up to 150 metres high. The cockpit will be built around a fletcher 12ft speedboat hull wich is 1.55 meters wide (beam). I'm calculating the wing load with just the wing lenght solely. For a 8 meters wingspan (without cockpit and 1.8m chord) I'm achieving 50.59 Kg/M² which is my limit for wing loading, but if I include the cockpit in the wingspan this value falls to 42 kg/m², but does nt seems correct to include 1.55m of non lifting surface in the calculations. What I'm trying to do is to make the wingspan as short as possible but keeping the load under 50kg/m² to permit the takeoff from the water. Any consideration in the above will be appreciated.

Back