• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calculating foil Cm for a given tail volume, incidence and coupling distance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michealvalentinsmith

I'd like to make a plank style wing with a close coupled V tail set right on the TE.

I can find lots of data on calculating the foil Cm for a given degree of sweep, twist and washout, and other data on calculating tail volume and coupling distance for traditional tails - but nothing on calculating foil Cm for a given tail size and coupling distance.

The plank wing I'm using as a basis for the idea uses an MH78 foil section. I'm still looking for precise data but I know the section is quite heavily reflexed and the Cm positive.

I'm looking for weight shift pitch so I don't need excessive static margins or sufficient tail volume for aerodynamic pitch control - so I can cut down quite a bit on traditional formula.

My impression is that I can use a close coupled tail, set at maybe 3 degrees negative incidence and with a reasonable volume, reduce the foil CM to neutral with a more symmetrical section - and still get a satisfactory static margin.

But I can't determine what volume would be required - or vice versa - how positive the foil section needs to be for a given tail volume and coupling distance.

Since I plan on using a fixed V tail for directional stability as well, I expect
projecting the horizontal area will give the effective volume for any calculation?

Also is there any way to determine if a close coupled tail set at 3 degrees negative incidence - with neutral Cm foil, is any more efficient than simply adding the same tail volume to the root chord width of a positive CM foil and using a single vertical fin? Ie is the effective "tail" better behind the wing on such a short boom, or built into the wing TE - when it's so closely coupled?

I'd appreciate any input and all opinions.

Back