CAD question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

StarJar

Couldn't find any ongoing CAD help thread so I started this one.

OK here's my problem. I have TurboCad and I'm trying to put an ultralight's complete structure into a 3D rendering.
I have accurate wing rib and fuselage formers for my design, from Profili/Devfus programs.
The problem is the wing ribs and fuselage formers should be on two different axises.
I can copy either set onto the xy plane, and then change each ones height on the z axis to make a fuselage OR wing but not both, because they would end up on the same axis.
Am I going about this wrong? Is there some way to do this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with turbocad, but it sounds like you first need to rotate the section to be perpendicular to the appropriate axis before moving it along that axis.

Dana

StarJar

I'm not familiar with turbocad, but it sounds like you first need to rotate the section to be perpendicular to the appropriate axis before moving it along that axis.

Dana
Yes that's right. That would work. I did think of that, but TurboCad doesn't seem to have that feature. At least it is not on the 3D tool bar.
Have you rotated a 3D object on another program (or even better on TurboCad)?

FritzW

Log Member
I've also never used TurboCad. Can't you just copy and paste a sketch to different drawing planes?

I'll bet there's a tutorial on youtube that covers your problem (youtube is where I learned SolidWorks ;) )

StarJar

I've also never used TurboCad. Can't you just copy and paste a sketch to different drawing planes?

I'll bet there's a tutorial on youtube that covers your problem (youtube is where I learned SolidWorks ;) )
Thanks Fritz.
I tried that, since it would be the easiest, and it didn't work right.
The Platinum and Proffesional version have more features than my Deluxe version, yet the 600pg. users guide doesn't show such an operation, and it covers all versions.
When tried COPY, switched views, then PASTE, they would be flat lines on the perpendicular plane.
I take it yours works for you? Or is this an unusual operation?
Thanks for your help.
PS I took your recommendation about YouTube, but I couldn't find one that covers this.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you rotated a 3D object on another program (or even better on TurboCad)?
Every CAD program I've ever used allows an object to be rotated about any axis, but as I said I've never used Turboca. Perhaps you have a crippled version of Turbocad with missing 3D tools?

Dana

StarJar

Every CAD program I've ever used allows an object to be rotated about any axis, but as I said I've never used Turboca. Perhaps you have a crippled version of Turbocad with missing 3D tools?

Dana
Ah, very good Dana, it was here all along! Under Transform Tools. Thanks Dana, and Fritz too.

Group Builder