• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CAD advice please - Mitchell wing B10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientAviation

Greetings all....
I am wanting to get some metal work drawn up in CAD - and never having done anything like this before thought I would ask for a few tips :)

#1)
I have 19 different pieces using 3 different materials/thicknesses that I am looking to get drawn up in the first instance. Most are pretty simple rectangular pieces, a couple tricker pieces like bellcranks and all are 2D.

Some holes I was going to not want included on the CAD as they will be drilled in situ.
In some places it states drill a 3/16" hole and ream to 1/4" on assembly. I'm tempted to do this or 1/8" and ream to 1/4" on assmebly. These are the wing spar brackets

#2) Then looking to get them laid out for minimal wastage given the sizes that Aircraft Spruce (EU) supplies them in.
I started old school cutting them out and laying them out trying to figure out the optimal layout and thought I'm wasting my time here a bit... (or a lot!) Once #1 above is done this should be quicker and easier than my art class attempts.

#3) I appreciate that there are no doubt a lot of skilled people on here but for those like me, without the software or skill, is there a go to place for getting this work done at a reasonable cost? Fivver? peopleperhour? etc... Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated...

#4) From the limited bit I know, I assume once I have the above figuring out the best cutting path is best left to the machine shop and the CAD file as laid out is all they should need?

As you can see - pretty clueless to thanks for the input.

Back