Cable Guards

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

GESchwarz

As I always do at aviation museums you'll find me standing or kneeling with my head inside wheel wells and any other access hole, studying the way the big boys design and build things.

I noticed that without exception, every pulley has two cable guards making it impossible for the cable to jump the pulley.

I've found that in homebuilts you don't see cable guards installed so religiously.

Why do homebuilders feel that cable guards are not that important?

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
As I always do at aviation museums you'll find me standing or kneeling with my head inside wheel wells and any other access hole, studying the way the big boys design and build things.

I noticed that without exception, every pulley has two cable guards making it impossible for the cable to jump the pulley.

I've found that in homebuilts you don't see cable guards installed so religiously.

Why do homebuilders feel that cable guards are not that important?
Probably because they don't know they should.

BTW, I thought I was the only one with a sketch pad and camera at airshows standing up inside wheel wells reverse engineering old designs. I always thought that was normal. Are you saying I am a weirdo?

etterre

What does a double cable guard look like?

I ask because I cannot think of a way to do it that might not cause the cable to jam...

The smart, easy way for me to figure it out is to go look inside a wheelwell, but there aren't any in the office ;)

dviglierchio

Probably because they don't know they should.
Quite right. I went from a bellhorns to pulleys on my rudder cables and almost omitted these. Took a good look at other pulley installations and got real careful about doing it tight.
The guy that built my plane had a good comment: "picture it upside down and getting a good shake" then that should drive you to make for a safe installation!

GESchwarz

Probably because they don't know they should. BTW, I thought I was the only one with a sketch pad and camera at airshows standing up inside wheel wells reverse engineering old designs. I always thought that was normal. Are you saying I am a weirdo?
My kids tell me I'm weird, so I guess we are weird. I agree with you, these old designs are a treasure trove of great ideas. I've also found that as I progress on my design and build work I become interested in things that never had my attention before, and so I will return to the same wheel well a year later and see some great idea I'd never seen before and take a photo or two of it.

Here's a picture of a pulley with a pair of cable guards. This particular cable has plenty of slack, yet it remains in its proper position on the pulley.

093.jpg

Last edited:

clanon

I have an ultralight design using 2 sheets of aluminum (~2mm) and 2 bolts holding the pulley and the cable is captive there in tension...TLAR and light...

PS:is the Sky Ranger plane tubing and fabric all arround