Cable-braced airframe design resources?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

Does anyone have any suggestions for books (probably going back to the 1930s) that cover detail design of cable-braced airframes? Pros and cons of different cable bracing configurations, attachment fittings, carry-throughs, etc.? There must be documents out there but I can't recall seeing much in anything I have currently. And yes, for those of you keeping track, this is still with an eye to creating a modern incarnation of the Farman F.451 Moustique or F.455 Super Moustique or likely a hybrid of the two with the wire trailing edges and rakish fin of the single-seater but set up as a two-seater. Cheers, Matthew

farman f451 4.jpg Farman F455 factory brochure - p3.jpg

WonderousMountain

Log Member
Stubby Bipe will be getting Wooden Flex Gear.
So looking at it from that perspective rigging a
Wing off the Axle is maybe not so grand overall.
No obstructions along the lower fuselage frame.

fly2kads

I haven't seen anything quite like what you're describing. The books I have describe how to analyze a given configuration, but don't discuss pros and cons of different configurations. I think that would be more of a matter of engineering imagination, figuring out the tradeoffs between Plan A and Plan B. Free body diagrams would probably help with that comparison. Once you have the configuration sorted out, you'd be left with the grunt work of designing the fittings.

cluttonfred

I found another interesting example, the André Starck A.S. 90 "New Look" from 1970, clearly trying to channel early pre-WWII designs. The prototype even flew with an 18 hp Aubier et Dunne two-stroke just like the original Mignet HM.14 Pou-du-Ciel. Check out those ailerons!

Attachments

Tiger Tim

Does anyone have any suggestions for books (probably going back to the 1930s) that cover detail design of cable-braced airframes? Pros and cons of different cable bracing configurations, attachment fittings, carry-throughs, etc.?
It ought to mostly be a matter of solving free body diagrams to get the forces involved, no? One thing I’m kind of curious about is how to determine how much pre-load should be in the wires.

BJC

It ought to mostly be a matter of solving free body diagrams to get the forces involved, no? One thing I’m kind of curious about is how to determine how much pre-load should be in the wires.
And once you know the pre-load, how do you tension the wires without expensive fittings or turnbuckles? My guess is that the old wooden / wire braced fuselages benefitted from slight racking to load the wires.

BJC

Tiger Tim

I’d think you just suck it up and get the turnbuckles. I should probably download the Fly Baby drawings and see how Bowers handled it.

BJC

I’d think you just suck it up and get the turnbuckles. I should probably download the Fly Baby drawings and see how Bowers handled it.
Your comment made me re-read the OP, and discover that Matthew probably was asking about flying and landing sires for wings. My comment was about wire braced fuselage structures.

BJC