• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cable Brace geometry on a Sub-70kg ultralight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackburn Mark

On the off-chance that there are still some builders with cable-brace experience:

I'm looking to depart slightly from what seems to be convectional rigging geometry in order to place the load and bearing members closer together....
The build is already started so will require some re-work to implement the change.

Bracing B2.jpg
Position (A) was my original flying wire termination position and is a copy from a similar design.
Position (B) looks to my eyes to offer some load path advantages, the bulk of the mass (pilot) would not be as reliant on paths needing to be in amplified tension.

Bracing B3.jpg
Drag / Anti drag geometry seems to be a little more balanced than the original.

Despite the forward flying wires looking oddly vertical I am reasonably confident in the change and may make the swap (despite having to re-work some of the fabrication already completed) UNLESS someone on here spots an error that I am missing and can talk me out of it.

Does anyone actually build cable braced aircraft anymore?
I am assuming its an almost dead art.

Back