C-85-12 Mod on a Champ

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
The Chief is worse. The big fin on the Champ helps. Have to wake up your feet and keep the nose pointed in the right direction. Why I like the Cubs better. You would like my SSSC, took a lot of work, but with a bank up to 20 degrees the ball stays centered by itself. Everyone that has flown it says its one of the best flying airplane they have flown. I started to get everything dialed in at about 32 hrs of test flying.
Most older airplanes out there are very much out of rig. Even most C-150-172-182's.
I would love a thread on rigging.

Doran Jaffas

If there's a rattlesnake involved, it is probably quite doable.

Since you guys drifted onto this topic I took a serious look at a former project that I had and started pondering on this. Take a look at a Piper Tripacer sometime. The front seats have a dedicated door on the aircraft RH side and the rear occupants have their own door on the left. Probably sacrilege or blasphemous to suggest a two seat, tandem variation of this design.....of course it's gottabe a taildragger.

Doran Jaffas

If there's a rattlesnake involved, it is probably quite doable.

Since you guys drifted onto this topic I took a serious look at a former project that I had and started pondering on this. Take a look at a Piper Tripacer sometime. The front seats have a dedicated door on the aircraft RH side and the rear occupants have their own door on the left. Probably sacrilege or blasphemous to suggest a two seat, tandem variation of this design.....of course it's gottabe a taildragger.
That would look alot like a cub.
I have 250 hrs in a PA 22-150 and I hope to have another sometime. Vortex generators and Madras tips, it was a performer. 8 gph at 120 mph cruise.
Blasphemous,,no but again...take a look at a cub, enclose the engine and put the Tri Pacer markings on it...

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My daughter and her husband used to have a Piper Colt with a Lyc -320 and converted to a tailwheel. Fun little airplane but easy to get to VNE.

I put a lot of time on it.

Dan

Mark Z

I’m back in the hunt on the C-85-12 Stroker.
My scored up accessory case is not magnesium but aluminum per the number on the casting. DivCo told me to send it in and they’ll fix it. I’ll also need a new case which they have on the shelf. Here we go.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My scored up accessory case is not magnesium but aluminum per the number on the casting. DivCo told me to send it in and they’ll fix it. I’ll also need a new case which they have on the shelf. Here we go.
Never seen one that bad.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
I’m curious. How do they fix that? If you don’t know, can you ask? I’m curious.