Bye Aerospace Electric Updates

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Even fewer seem to remember where the government gets the money.
Using the term "government investment" may be a bit specious too, but I won't say anything further and possibly invite another rebuke for getting political.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Every power to weight electric vehicle project is waiting for the next generation of battery technology. Tesla is not a good car company at all. Nothing innovative. Steel unibody, tires at 4 corners, brakes, electronic dash, seats, steering wheel. What Tesla is good at is battery management. Battery management is more important than battery chemistry right now. Battery chemistry is maxed out.

The Bye 2 seat trainer has a very specific mission. Deliver a CFI and a student to the flight training mission leading to PPL. For that it is pretty well designed as that is its mission. Extrapolating from that is just extrapolating. If they pull that mission off the rest don't matter because the fleet of available options is aging out. If they can do it with electric motors and batteries even better and safer in the end.

Someone is going to do it. It has to have more endurance than 30 minutes which is the current standard.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...Tesla is not a good car company at all. Nothing innovative. Steel unibody, tires at 4 corners, brakes, electronic dash, seats, steering wheel...

The Bye 2 seat trainer...
Bye is not a good aircraft company at all. Nothing innovative. Ordinary carbon fiber body, wings on both sides, brakes, electronic panel, seats, yokes.

You're basically calling Tesla a bad car company because they designed a car. Yeah, right.

John.Roo

John,

Every commercial endeavor is subsidized. They all depend on government investment to one degree or another. Everything from education (for the labor force), to roads, water, military providing safe zone....

Also, very few people realize how much foundational science is paid for by government investment. Such as the internet, email, forums, most vaccines (e.g. the spike protein used in all COVID vaccines was developed by NIH), X-Rays, Chemo and radiation therapy.... The list goes on.

Tim
You are right Tim, I should be more exact.
By the term "subsidy" I meant a system of subsidy projects in the EU which supports for example the private construction of a golf course etc. But again - this is politics.
My point was that every project should be done together with technical experts, not only based on "wish". Movement to "green transportation" should not include only restrictions to ICE systems but should offer complex way how to use electric propulsion systems and where to get enough energy (ideally from "clean" sources). Step by step together with actual stage of technology.
And again - I personally support idea to use electric propulsion systems in areas where makes sense. Look to electric bicycles - they are affordable, easy to use... ideal sample of competitive use of electric propulsion ;)

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Bye is not a good aircraft company at all. Nothing innovative. Ordinary carbon fiber body, wings on both sides, brakes, electronic panel, seats, yokes.

You're basically calling Tesla a bad car company because they designed a car. Yeah, right.
Well you misconstrued and misinterpreted. It is not being a car company that Tesla is good at is a different statement than Tesla is a bad car company. Tesla lost a lot of money coming up with a limited production $100+k 4 door sedan that happened to be electric to start and for a lot of its history. But what it did well was come up with a way to optimize current battery technology (a metal can Lithium metal can off the shelf cell) into a mostly safe, useable package with reasonable endurance to start with and they built a great brand around it. Eventually they found enough money to start building a more affordable version and eventually they got the world to move towards some infrastructure so that one could charge while on a trip beyond their endurance/range. Tesla has achieved cult status at this point. People react emotionally to the brand, the designs, the story whether accurate or not.

Bye is building an airplane for the training mission. They seem to me on track to get that airplane through FAA certification and in production. I think they have that part right. How you interpreted that as Bye is not a good aircraft company either cynically or not has nothing to do with what I wrote. Takes a lot of innovation to build an airplane around a large amount of batteries and do weight management to get real endurance and then get an FAA certification for a new category of airplane.

I'm guessing you're a Tesla owner. Most are pretty sensitive.

Dan Thomas

Among the concerns Consumer Reports had for the Tesla Model S, X and Y lines, according to CNBC, were issues with “heat pumps, air conditioning” and notoriously, misaligned panels. It’s also worth noting that Tesla’s Model X ranked dead-last among all cars for reliability, scoring a 5 out of 100.

From Tesla ranks almost dead-last on Consumer Reports reliability list

Who would buy an airplane that was ranked dead-last in its field for reliability?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Well you misconstrued and misinterpreted...
No, I fully realized you may have meant something else. I was just responding to how you wrote it, and the meaning it conveyed. I wasn't making any judgments on Tesla or Bye. And no, I don't own a Tesla, nor would I want to. As far as I'm concerned they're dramatically overhyped status symbols owned mostly by people who are far more concerned with appearance than with a quality product. Symbolism over substance. But some people are like that with airplanes too. That's not envy either. I could easily afford one if I wanted it. I just prefer vehicles that are useful for things other than stoking the owner's ego. But I don't want to start voicing my opinion here. :)