• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Buying my first E-LSA aircraft. What do I need to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALL911

So I am a few weeks out from purchasing my first E-LSA aircraft (Falcon XP).

The aircraft was homebuilt, has never been flown, has a good N#, been registered with the FAA, and does not expire until December of 2012.

I know earlier I thought there might be a snag because it was registered in 2007, and I was concerned that if the airworthiness certificate had said it could be used for training, that because it had not been re-registered prior to Jan 2010, then it would never be legal. However, I just found out yesterday that in fact the airworthiness certificate does not say anything about it being used for training purposes, so I believe things are fine there.

My question is; what all will I need to do from where I am now, to flying the Falcon?

Since the aircraft has not flown, I still need to do the initial flight period in it alone, and need to have a PPL (which I have and is current), and it will need to be registered to do the training at an approved airport. What will I need specifically for this? Will I need to have this airport annotated somewhere in the paperwork?

Also, I will need insurance on the plane to fly at the airport I have decided on, and I am in the process of getting a few quotes.

Will I need a title exchange of some sort similar to buying a car? What will I need to change as far as the FAA is concerned?

Are there any other considerations I need to take into account?

Back