• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Buying bulk fiberglass cloth and epoxy ? Any tips on cheapest suppliers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
So I'm located in Michigan. We don't seem to have any serious composite suppliers in the state that I am aware of or perhaps they don't advertise....

I would like to buy a roll of 7781 (satin weave bid) and a roll of UNI, something in the 50-125 yard per roll range. I would also like to get about 5 gal of structural epoxy, probably with slow hardener, given our typical hot midwestern summers.

The supplier I am most familiar with is http://www.fiberglasssupply.com
They are located in Burlington, WA so a very long way away and freight can be considerable and problematic with hazmat fees on epoxy.

They list 7781 satin weave bid 50" wide x 125 yard roll for $7.58/yard Fedex ground shipping $90/roll
The have a UNI listed as "10.35 oz x 50” E-glass, 0 degree unidirectional,Roll" for $3.28/yd 100 yard roll
Thy have knitted biaxial "10 oz. x 50", 0°/90°, Biaxial, Roll" 160 yards for $3.64/yard (has no csm in it)

For resin, they list 5 Gallons, Hydrex 100 Vinyl Ester Laminating Resin (H-B) for $300 (price changes when added to cart) with lowest shipping being $78 through fedex assuming part of that is hazmat fees.
West System by comparison is West System Epoxy 5.29 Gallon Kit C-6, with Slow 206C Hardener $518 with another $78 in shipping

If I could find resin at a more competitive price locally that would help a lot. One doesn't want more resin on hand than needed due to cost and limited shelf life, but if you run out you want to be able to re-supply quickly too. Amazon and Jamestown Distributors have Totalboat Marine 5:1 epoxy resin for $124/gal (kit) for $124 free shipping.

Any good options I have missed ? Recommendations ?

Back