• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Buying bulk fiberglass cloth and epoxy ? Any tips on cheapest suppliers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithO

So I'm located in Michigan. We don't seem to have any serious composite suppliers in the state that I am aware of or perhaps they don't advertise....

I would like to buy a roll of 7781 (satin weave bid) and a roll of UNI, something in the 50-125 yard per roll range. I would also like to get about 5 gal of structural epoxy, probably with slow hardener, given our typical hot midwestern summers.

The supplier I am most familiar with is http://www.fiberglasssupply.com
They are located in Burlington, WA so a very long way away and freight can be considerable and problematic with hazmat fees on epoxy.

They list 7781 satin weave bid 50" wide x 125 yard roll for $7.58/yard Fedex ground shipping $90/roll
The have a UNI listed as "10.35 oz x 50” E-glass, 0 degree unidirectional,Roll" for $3.28/yd 100 yard roll
Thy have knitted biaxial "10 oz. x 50", 0°/90°, Biaxial, Roll" 160 yards for $3.64/yard (has no csm in it)

For resin, they list 5 Gallons, Hydrex 100 Vinyl Ester Laminating Resin (H-B) for $300 (price changes when added to cart) with lowest shipping being $78 through fedex assuming part of that is hazmat fees.
West System by comparison is West System Epoxy 5.29 Gallon Kit C-6, with Slow 206C Hardener $518 with another $78 in shipping

If I could find resin at a more competitive price locally that would help a lot. One doesn't want more resin on hand than needed due to cost and limited shelf life, but if you run out you want to be able to re-supply quickly too. Amazon and Jamestown Distributors have Totalboat Marine 5:1 epoxy resin for $124/gal (kit) for $124 free shipping.

Any good options I have missed ? Recommendations ?

Back