Buying bulk fiberglass cloth and epoxy ? Any tips on cheapest suppliers ?

Discussion in 'Composites' started by KeithO, May 31, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 4, 2019 #21

wizzardworks

wizzardworks

wizzardworks

I have been dealing with Steve Thayer for 34 years. Not a nicer or more honest guy on the planet. He is building a Cozy and has been ....for a while.
    He flies a Cessna 182. His prices are very good with widths up to 72 inches. I buy whole rolls of S2 glass bi-directional but don't keep track of the
    price. I do know a roll weighs 430 pounds in 72 inch width. Shipping is free but I usually visit since we are in the same state and we wander thru his
    two city block sized 5 story warehouses. Lots of interesting stuff and specialty rolls of glass. He has some mill run ends of production also from the
    major brands in woven fabric. Some we run thru the measuring line, some we just pick a price. Always a fun day in High Point NC.
    I use west system epoxy for the range of hardeners prefering the ProSet product for airframes. They have 5, 20, and 55 gal drums in stock and
    smaller drums of the catalist. The only place I get resin is Eastern Burlap. They are in Norfolk Virginia about 70 miles from me. They keep their stock
    of catalist low for shelf life reasons but usually a week if they are out. The resin will darken with age and sunlight, and thicken if stored in a cold
    place. Wrap the drum with clear polyethalene out in the sun or heat it in a cabinet to 160 degrees for 24 hours and it is back ready to use. Contact West System
    actually Gugeon Brothers if you have a question about their products . It is best to keep the drum warm 24/7 and at $946 a drum that is my plan. Also
    get some new 5 gallon paint thinner pails and put the 55 gallons in them. Much easier to handle and you can heat a pail for better wetout without
    heating a whole drum. The 5 gal pails can be stored in the house, but 55 gallon drums....not.

wizzardworks - still breathing

2. Jul 5, 2019 #22

Vector

Vector

Vector

I have been meaning to share this with the group but I keep forgetting. I use this company that ships from Michigan so the original poster could pick up directly. They ship to Texas no problem. I buy their Boeing spec'd Epoxy for structural work and their cheaper stuff for finishing/boy work. The stuff is cheaper and on par with anything else aviation I have tested.

http://decomp.com/

3. Jul 6, 2019 #23

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

I used fiberglass coatings and fiberglass supply. Fiberglass Costings is on the west coast of Florida I think.

4. Jul 6, 2019 #24

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Yes, they are in St. Petersburg, FL. They primarily cater to the boat building business. I’ve used then for consumables such as brushes, sand paper, mixing tubs, peel ply, etc., but not for resin, which they re-lable as their own, or cloth.

BJC