Buying airplane with no regisitation?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

don january

Log Member
When I found my 1939 Stinson HW 75 all it had was the ID number on the air frame and I contacted the FAA with that number and a short note on how I acquired the aircraft and asked for owner ship and N number. It took a little over 8 months of waiting and required fee I then received the original N-number and complete ownership. It can be done but very time consuming. This was done about 19 years ago

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
But that's a side by side fuselage frame. Can L-3 gear be bolted on a Chief fuselage?
I really have no idea what the plane is - other than it isn't a Chief (65 thru 11). The Chiefs are derived from the C-3 and have the same triangular aft fuselage with wood formers.

djmcfall

Not sure if this will help answer your registration questions but I purchased a Hiller Helicopter UH-12C in Canada a couple years ago. Back in 2002 a guy in Canada bought it out of Texas and it was deregistered in the US by the previous owner (N133TA). The guy parked it, covered, without doing anything with it, then several years later the guy I bought it from bought it from the then current owner. It never was registered in Canada. Only thing Customs wanted to see as I crossed the border is the data plate showing it was originally manufactured in California (USA). Also we could not locate the US Airworthiness certificate. This is what was required to register it. Keep in mind the old registration (as searched by make, model and SN), was still in the FAA database.; 1. I needed a bill of sale from who I purchased it from.; 2. Since I purchased it in Canada I needed a letter from Transport Canada stating it had never been registered and/or currently is deregistered in Canada.; 3. Complete a US FAA registration form 8050-1.; 4. Include a check in the amount of $5.00 made out to the FAA. That would get me a current registration in my name. Now the AW certificate was another matter. I was instructed to contact my FSDO office. I talked to the FSDO and they said when I got it registered the inspector would come out and inspect the helicopter after the annual inspection was complete, then if all was OK he would issue me the new AW certificate. I sold it before I got that far. The new owner is about to start flying it.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Another recent example.

The Bellanca that I parted with about 3 months ago. I purchased the project around 15 years ago, got a signed bill of sale (FAA form) from the owner, but never sent it in to the FAA.

A notarized bill of sale from me a summery of how/why I never got it in my name (also notarized) and the new owner now has a clean title. Took about 2 months start to finish.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
This plane has numbers, serial numbers i suppose from 1941? Can these numbers bring up a history report? I did quick check
What papers do you have? To restore and fly you will need proof of ownership for registration transfer and an Airworthiness Certificate, a list of AD compliance, weight and balance, major repairs, logbook records and maybe more