Buying a salvage aircraft and crossing the border with it.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

way_up_noth

Hi everyone

I`m in Canada and I want to buy a salvaged aircraft from the USA or a large amount of parts from that aircraft...that has been storm damaged(flipped by the wind from a tie down) but many parts are still viable...welded rudder pedals...ect..

If an aircraft is scrapped...is it still an aircraft?...when I hit the border is the pile of metal going to need a pile of paper work...or do I just call it a pile of scrap pay my duties and drive on through...

it will be registered under my build number

thanks

TFF

If it looks like parts, I bet they are going to hit you with something. You will want some sort of bill of sale. If it looks like rubble, you might get away with less. If it looks like an airplane, they are going to call it an airplane, de registration papers, scrap title, all that good stuff. It probably depends a lot on what it is too.

way_up_noth

If it looks like parts, I bet they are going to hit you with something. You will want some sort of bill of sale. If it looks like rubble, you might get away with less. If it looks like an airplane, they are going to call it an airplane, de registration papers, scrap title, all that good stuff. It probably depends a lot on what it is too.
It will be fiberglass cowl and parts... rudder pedals... control links.... yoke/stick...I’m just curious if anyone else has had to cross the border with parts ... some looking plane like... the rudder might be salvageable ...ect

The plane was badly rolled and all surfaces are dented up

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I crossed the border with a disassembled airplane on my truck. No questions about the airplane. (1993)

Victor Bravo

FIRST... what type of aircraft is this? I have a verrry important reason for asking :)

Second, get a bill of sale from the seller, specifying that you purchased un-airworthy salvage parts from a junkyard. Put a low but reasonable dollar value on that bill of sale that would be appropriate for junk parts, and just pay the fee or tax on the junk parts at the border.

When you get to the USA, if your pile of parts happens to have an airworthiness certificate and a data plate with it, and it is not something I need (see above), then before you leave the US, simply send that paperwork and data plate to your address in Canada by mail.

I also believe that the intense sunlight and environmental damage from Global Warming, Climate Change, and the hole in the Ozone Layer might have somehow removed the painted registration number off of the parts that you are purchasing here. Without that N number visible on your parts, it will be very difficult for even the most annoying customs and import personnel to establish any other basis for taxation than your bill of sale.

If anyone at the border stops you and wants to argue that you have an airplane instead of parts, ask them what airplane they think it is and how they can identify it as an airworthy or repairable airplane.

Did I mention to ask what type of airplane this is????????

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
All of the above assumes that the duty on parts is less than the duty on aircraft. I am quite sure that applies to parts coming into the the US but do not know about the reverse.

Any confirmation?

way_up_noth

FIRST... what type of aircraft is this? I have a verrry important reason for asking :)

Second, get a bill of sale from the seller, specifying that you purchased un-airworthy salvage parts from a junkyard. Put a low but reasonable dollar value on that bill of sale that would be appropriate for junk parts, and just pay the fee or tax on the junk parts at the border.

When you get to the USA, if your pile of parts happens to have an airworthiness certificate and a data plate with it, and it is not something I need (see above), then before you leave the US, simply send that paperwork and data plate to your address in Canada by mail.

I also believe that the intense sunlight and environmental damage from Global Warming, Climate Change, and the hole in the Ozone Layer might have somehow removed the painted registration number off of the parts that you are purchasing here. Without that N number visible on your parts, it will be very difficult for even the most annoying customs and import personnel to establish any other basis for taxation than your bill of sale.

If anyone at the border stops you and wants to argue that you have an airplane instead of parts, ask them what airplane they think it is and how they can identify it as an airworthy or repairable airplane.

Did I mention to ask what type of airplane this is????????
Thanks everyone for the responses.... much appreciated.

TFF

Not the same story, but I have a friend with a plane that was US, went to Canada as parts, came back to the US as parts and ended up with the same N number. One FSDO signed it off as ok with holes unfilled. The local FSDO here got involved updating the operating instructions. All is legal now but essentially they put a 40 hour phase flight requirement to cover not scrapping the plane because of bad paperwork.

Parts are going to be looked at as condition. Shiny in wrapping are going to get hit. Rusty dirty scrap is going to get passed. They are looking for value. If it looks like it’s worth something, you will have to defend it. Probably depends on where you cross too.

way_up_noth

What type of aircraft are you considering buying here in the US? There may be some part of it that you don't need and I do need.
It’s a CH-640/Alarus

Someone else bought the plane... but just for the engine since the plane was in rough shape....about 6 months back...

I’m trying to track down this owner to make an offer on the air frame only.... hoping he hasn’t already scrapped it

I’ll know in the next few days the fate of the airframe..

The USA/CAN border might open in 2 weeks ... so I wanted to be ready to go if it’s opening

..thanks for all the info...

Last edited:

frankpack

I bought a part plane in Canada late 2019. Had no trouble bring across border into US. Just showed bill of sale and came on through.

dog

lots of planes and parts in Canada
Kijiji of all places