Buy this crew a beer...!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Did you catch what the wind was, Bill? The `coupe is supposedly good up to 25 MPH (21 kts) direct cross wind.
I had a total of 13 hrs of flying time and landed my Ercoupe in a 50 degree crosswind @35 gusting to 45, as reported by the tower. Took me 3 tries, but I got in down and stuck and got it to a tiedown spot and held it there with engine and brakes while a couple of guys tied it down.
Got the weather before the flight and was to be 10 or under.

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
I had a total of 13 hrs of flying time and landed my Ercoupe in a 50 degree crosswind @35 gusting to 45, as reported by the tower. Took me 3 tries, but I got in down and stuck and got it to a tiedown spot and held it there with engine and brakes while a couple of guys tied it down.
Got the weather before the flight and was to be 10 or under.
Sounds like your guardian angel was helping on that one Pops ;)

xwing

in the crab, had a nice steady extended flare just above the runway going there, to then fully settle on once,

lots more force on this plopper

Last edited:

D Hillberg

Think of the whip lash & side loads on the guys sitting in the tail?

Blue water splash in the heads.....

Galley items and food stuff on the walls and bulkheads

Faces mashed against the windows

Mr. Toads wild ride

Mcmark

My father retired from United and only flew Boeing jets. His first ride was engineer seat on DC 6&7.
The Airbus is computer controlled and WILL not allow cross controlled conditions. "So you get what had here today! That's the way he wants it, he gets it."

Tiger Tim

I was talking about side loads, for which there are no shock absorbers.
That’s not entirely true. The tires can scrub across pavement to soak up lateral shocks, especially at the moment of touchdown when the full weight of the airplane isn’t on them yet. Still a wild ride for the folks in that 380.

Victor Bravo

I stand corrected, yes I forgot to think about tire deformation. But I don't think there is any sideways "compliance" movement or absorption built into the trunions and gear legs and/or structures. That's an awful lot of mass and inertia to be straightened out that quickly. The front and rear ends of the fuselage may not really want to accelerate (yaw axis) as fast as the landing gear is trying to straighten it out... skin buckling at the sides of the fuselage just fore and aft of the wing root???

Why would the computer programmers at Scare-bus not allow a "normal" crosswind landing to be made by the pilots?

With all the thousands of control laws and programming scenarios they have to put into that kind of system, why the heck is there not a crosswind landing mode that allows and even assists in making the least damaging and "most correct" wing-low touchdown with the aircraft traveling parallel to the runway?

They have autopilot coupled approaches, and a coupled crosswind landing would be a safety and "wear & tear" damage prevention benefit. Blowing out a few tires by landing sideways puts their huge money-making machine out of commission for a few hours at least. Certainly that's worth writing the software to allow a cross-controlled landing when necessary.

Tiger Tim

Why would the computer programmers at Scare-bus not allow a "normal" crosswind landing to be made by the pilots?
The software on the A320 series will let you cross it up as much as you want. On the 380, if true, it could be to keep you from banging one of the outboard nacelles off the runway. IIRC one of the early 707 operators had that problem and solved it with a fleet of Ercoupes to get their pilots comfortable with landing crabbed.

Group Builder