Quantcast

Buttercup info?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

berniematic

Hello -
I'm a new member, good to be here. I'm helping a friend with a Wittman Buttercup that he and someone else got about 60% done. I realize this is a fairly obscure plane. The plans we have do not include a cowl. Can anyone give me suggestions about a scratch built cowl or does anyone know of perhaps kit cowls that would be close to what we need? Also, can anyone send photos of a Buttercup panel? Thanks much!

TFF

I would think Wisconsin would be a great place to know about Buttercups. The old way to build cowls was to find a nose bowl you like or make, and then make the sheetmetal match. I hope you are on the two yahoo BC and Tailwind groups as that is where most of the builders are.

berniematic

The original is at the EAA museum, so thats good. I have quite a few contacts but few have ever seen a buttercup besides that one. We do have a nose bowl but its pretty round and the plane is pretty square. Its a start. Have found the Yahoo sites and have just joined. Thanks!

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Earl Luce at luceair.com is the source for plans and information on the Buttercup. It looks to be a GREAT plane.

dcstrng

Look over Mike's build sites (one on Yaho, the other listed there), he captured his cowl construction with multiple photos...

Turd Ferguson

Steve used a nose bowl from an Ercoupe on his buttercup final version cowl. Not very streamline in appearance but I think it fits the design well and I'm sure it worked. Mikes cowl looks really sleek.