Bush Style wheels On Hi-Max with 503 dcdi

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Tony, Nov 7, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1

Tony

Tony

Tony

Check out some mods I did to a Hi-Max I owned. This was built by Gail Bean from PA. This plane flew great after these mods. I installed a 503 DCDI in place of the 447 SCSI. I removed the 15x5x6 wheels and tires and installed 22x12x8 tires with 8 inch wheels.
    Ric Hi-Max 006 (640x480).jpg

Here is a short video of her flying
    Hi-Max with Rotax 503 DCDI - YouTube

Before the upgrades this bird had bad ground manors. After these upgrades she handles so much better. Not one ground loop after these upgrades. It helped AOA when taxiing and I believe this helped. It also IMHO put more wind over the Vetical stab. I believe this was another big help. Not to mention how much smother she taxied and landed.
    Tony
    P.S. If you need a good Rotax call Rotax Rick out of Florida. He is the best and stands behind his products. He is the best.

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Very nice and many happy landings.

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3

Tony

Tony

Tony

Thanks Joe for the comment. I sold this bird not to long ago. I had so many problems with 2 strokes I could not fly behind one with comfort. Rotax Rick was great and even told me if I had one engine out he would give me a new engine. This was after purchasing a new engine from him. That engine ran great, but I just stopped flying two strokes.
    I now fly behind a 1/2 vw. She runs great and burns less fuel, the only draw back is those V-Dubs are hard to stop every little oil leak, and a small leak gets oil all over your bird.
    [​IMG]

This is My Avenger V N8053H, I fly today. I am upgrading this bird this winter and will post a thread as to what I do.
    Tony

A short video of me flying this bird.

Fisher Avenger Experimental Airplane 1/2 vw engine - YouTube

Attached Files:

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

I don't have any actual experience with VW engines just a lot of observations of others. One of my friends built an N3 Pup with a half VW and he put a check valve in the crankcase breather so it could not suck in air only exhale. What this dose is make a vacuum inside the crank case and the oil doesn't want out.

5. Nov 8, 2011 #5

Tony

Tony

Tony

Joe, that is some very good info. Thank you so very much for this info. This engine does have what I call a puck can to catch the blow-by oil. I would take it this one way valve would go in to that line.
    Joe please see if you can get some info on the check valve for me. Where I can buy it and a part number would be great.
    Joe I noticed the number after your name, what is this number?
    Thanks again Joe for this info, I looked hard and long for a good site to start posting to and it looks as I found what I was looking for.
    Tony

6. Nov 8, 2011 #6

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Well I will tell you how this happened. 20 years ago we moved to Kansas and I tied my cub down next to my old house. Wilferd had just built his Pup his place was about 5 miles away and he saw my cub and landed. We got to be friends and he would stop in almost every time he would fly. Now Wilferd was a farmer and if you know about farmers they can fix or build any thing with Vicegrips and bailing wire. Well he had the same problem that you do and we talked about it several times. So what he did was take an old chainsaw apart he cut the saw crank case so he had the read valve and that part of the case. He made a hole in the top of the VW case and used JB Weld to attach the part to the VW case. From what I remember he said it helped. Wilferd passed away a few years ago at age 90. I don't know what number you are talking about.