Bush plane, mabe?

Discussion in 'Bush / Float flying' started by justus, Oct 14, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1

justus

justus

justus

I would like to build an airplane. But i don't have much money so it has to be built from in expensive materials, and it would be nice if it had pontoons and wheels. are there any plane plans out there like that for free or very cheep? I have heard of a plane caled the Texas Parasol that might be the ticket, but i don't know anything about it.

2. Oct 14, 2015 #2

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

3. Oct 14, 2015 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

From a 2014 thread started by another 16 year old flying enthusiast:

Decide what you might become able to do, to earn a decent living.
    Plan how to get the formal education or learn the trade that you decide on.
    Immigrate to a place with more opportunity if necessary.
    Work your butt off to learn your chosen trade.
    Get a job. Work 3,400 hours per year.
    Avoid spending money on things that aren't necessities.
    Have only the number of children than you can afford both emotionally and financially.
    Save your money.
    Learn to fly only after you have provided for your family.
    Discover what type of flying that you really enjoy.
    Decide whether to buy or build.
    If you decide to design, study available educational materials.
    Then come back and let's talk.

As a 16 year old, you have many years of life ahead of you.

Best of luck.

BJC

4. Oct 15, 2015 #4

justus

justus

justus

I am saving my money which is why I have limited funds, but I get your point.

OnewingTwoWheels likes this.
  5. Oct 15, 2015 #5

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

+1 on the stay in school and do well there, that's a good start for life in general.

As for aviation, join the Experimental Aircraft Association. The national organization isn't much use anymore for ordinary folks like us but the local chapters are filled with great folks that are part of the community that makes aviation special. There are a several chapters in your area:

http://www.757.eaachapter.org
    EAA Chapter 79, Spokane WA
    http://www.1441.eaachapter.org

Learn to fly. A private pilots license will be something you really will want to have to enjoy aviation. You might as well do that first before worrying too much about building. Try to get as much different flying experience as possible, that will help you sort out what your main interests are. And through the EAA chapters or other parts of the aviation community you're likely to find opportunities to help out with some building or restoration projects which will help you decide what you want to to and what you can afford to do.

There are active aviation communities in your area at Sandpoint, Deer Park, and especially, Felts Field in Spokane. There is also a pretty active float plane community on Priest Lake.

Dave

6. Oct 15, 2015 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

With all humility and sincerity when talking about a delicate and personal topic such as helping a 16 year old decide "how to live one's life"....

BJC forgot one or two line items in the list he referenced, IMHO:

- Do not engage in recreational drug use of any kind, for any reason, because it has numerous destructive effects on your life.
    - Do not develop, or severely limit your personal relationships with any people who do use recreational drugs for any reason.

And from my own life experience I'd suggest a modification to one of the line items:

- Learn to fly early in your life and build your piloting skills while you are young and your brain is still in learning mode, so long as it does not prevent you from having good family relationships.

All that being said... Justus please provide some more information about how much money you do or don't have for this. Provide some information about what mechanical skills you do or don't have. What type of engine do you think you can afford... that will actually determine most of the rest of your choices and actions.

7. Oct 19, 2015 #7

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

I've been a drug addict (the flying drug/bug) since my 12th.

2nd that, start flying young, cheap and enjoy every bit of it. Stay in school, learn your ass off and don't spend money on stuff you don't need. (a 2nd hand iPhone 4 over a brand new iPhone 9xxs costs you hours of flying).

RUSTY likes this.