• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

bush plane landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reubenT

I've done a bunch of watching off airport landings of small planes on u-tube and been thinkin. Has anyone invented a way to have both big wheel landing gear and floats? The only wheels I see combined with floats are little bitty things only good for paved runways. (and an occasional pilot forgetting to retract them and flipping the plane on water.) I know there would be extra drag and extra weight to deal with. I've been dreaming of possible ways to put both on and have one or both systems retractable with air pressure/vacuum cylinders which would also serve as air suspension shock adsorption. Something like wheels that would fold back and fit into aerodynamic boxes, or floats that are inflatable with a partial aluminum housing that would flatten and fold up against the fuselage. Might help with drag but not weight. Although the air cylinders would replace steel spring suspension. With someone doing a lot of back country flying it would be very handy to have a choice of either kind of landing gear.

Last edited:
Back