• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Burrs on wing spar rivet holes....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickathome

Today while working on my wing spar, I noticed a few (maybe 10) of the last holes to be riveted, had some metal burrs between the spar cap angle and the .032 spar material.

I clamp all pieces and drill about every third hole to a #30 drill bit size, then cleco the parts together. 1/8th inch clecos are the biggest I have. I then drill the remaining holes to their required size of #21, I then take everything apart, deburr, and place everything back together again with the clecos in the #30 sized holes as before. I then rivet the #21 holes, remove the clecos, then go back an enlarge the small holes to their final size. Some of these holes I noticed had some small burrs that raised the .032 sheet up slightly. Enough to see light through. I hit these again with a #20 bit and made sure to drill them with a support piece of wood underneath so the metal would not lift any more, hoping this would remove the burrs. This worked somewhat, but I did still notice a little bit of burring still present. I could do nothing more to this, as the panels are already set, so riveted the remaining holes. At this point, the panels are laying flat and look fine. I guess my question is: Will this be a problem if there is some burring between the panels at these holes?

Back