Building with minimal tools

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Little Scrapper, Aug 25, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 18, 2017 #81

TFF

TFF

TFF

Y'all are dangerous playing with sharp tools. I necked down a punch for knocking the centers out. I'm too cheap to do that with a Craftsman; has to be one that can't be returned for replacement. :)

2. Oct 18, 2017 #82

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

aw naw. I didn't think about that.

3. Oct 18, 2017 #83

BJC

BJC

BJC

Those Craftsman screwdrivers are such low quality that I quit replacing them. They are better chisels and pry bars than screwdrivers.

BJC

4. Oct 19, 2017 #84

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

A 'worn out' screwdriver is a quick grind from being a fresh screwdriver for me. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate?
    Once I have a screwdriver made from decent steel, I'll keep it going. Crap ones get abused and repurposed. Granted, philips screwdrivers aren't really worth redoing with my current tools, unless I'm in a pinch. Then I swear a lot till I get it right.

5. Oct 19, 2017 #85

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

I once removed damaged skins by using a grinder to take the rivet heads off (AN470), after I had peeled back the skins I found the fastest way to get the rivets out was a pair of vice grips with a thick washer taped to one side (as the stem was sitting .032"prod of the skin). Centre the tail in the washer & squeeze after which you could pull the tail out by hand if it didn't fall out.

6. Oct 20, 2017 #86

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Well I don't qualify for minimal tools now. However,back in my College days I made an instrument panel with altimeter and stop watch that mounted on my reserve parachute. Vice grip, hand drill and a round file. Some one else saw my design and produced 5 of them in an after noon using the college metal shop. I now have a CNC Plasma cutter cut several instrument panels for Helicycle helicopter in a couple of hours. TIG welder..fabricated 4-14 gal aluminum fuel tanks, MIG welder useful on trailer mods, OA outfit to include jewelers torch small art projects, 300A Miller stick welder that I use to pile stuff on, 16X40 Victor lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, 19" 3 wheel band saw with blade welder, 50" finger brake, 50" shear, press brake, and roller, two roll around tool boxes with numerous air tools. I did forget my Jet 13x40 lathe set up with collet closer. All lathes and Bridgeport are digital. Oh yes belt disc sander and a small variable speed drill press. and associated grinders. Built three helicopters (if you include the complete rebuild of a crash) part way thru a 20% Long Eze and a 85% Hellicycle, presently modifying an Allison powered Rotorway. I also built my hangar/shop/house 4,600 sq. ft with 960sq ft basement. Side projects cutting series of numbers from ⅜" steel for gun range, Bldg. label involving special font letters. I do still kind'a lust for an English Wheel and Planishing hammer. I would really like to become proficient with all these tools. They sure come in handy at times. Being 81yrs old, I don't enjoy anymore making things with minimum tools.

akwrencher and Pops like this.