• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building vs buying - price

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wufnu

I've always wanted to build my own plane. I'm currently lusting over Airdrome Aeroplane's DVII. That would be, at least, my second aircraft. These days, I'm looking for a 4 seater for myself and my family so that we can visit my family or go on weekend trips.

I've been going through all of the kits out there, power options, etc. I noticed that on trade-a-plane, you can get an old Cessna (and others) with fresh annuals, 1500+ hours until MO on the engine, with avionics, etc. for a price comparable to what a homebuilt would cost. There are also RTF homebuilts for sale (I saw a nice Lancair 235, $33k).

I think it's reasonable to say that many homebuilt pilots chose to build their own because of cost. If that's the case, why not buy an old type certified plane that's flyable and current? I understand the cost to overhaul the engines is very high. Even so, most planes I've seen have less than 1500 hours on them after years of flying so you've got plenty of time to save for that overhaul. You open yourself up to ADs but I'm not worried that any 70 year old plane that's current is going to have many new ADs pop up in the future (unless you're using very new instrumentation, etc).

The only real advantages homebuilt offers, obvious to me, is: 1) you made it yourself which brings knowledge and pride, 2) you can do just about whatever you want with it, 3) no ADs. I didn't include price because I didn't think there is a real price advantage unless you're doing a single seat auto engine kit, ultralight, etc. Once you get into two seats, you're looking at kits that start around $10,000 and will cost you $20,000 from start to finish. That's solid 150/2 territory. 4 seats, $30,000-$40,000 just for the airframe/finishing kit and then you have to equip it with engine, avionics, etc. That's good 172 country. Both experimental and certified cost about the same to insure, hangar, operate, etc. The real difference will be in engine overhaul, IF you use an auto engine on a homebuilt, but averaged out over 1000-1500 hours it isn't too much extra. I would say autogas is cheaper but the kits I've looked at run on 93 octane which 1) I can't even find locally, and 2) costs about $5 a gallon (100LL at the airport here is $6 a gallon). Not much difference.

For me, it's not an urgent question. Realistically, I won't be able to afford one for quite some time. We're trying to save up at least 6 months worth of bills "just in case", have a carport put down, throw up a fence, and build a shed. After all that, probably looking at a baby. I may not own a plane until all my hair is grey. I'll keep looking, though.

I just thought I'd come ask the experts on homebuilt aircraft. When I see that I can get a flyable certified aircraft at roughly the same price as a home built experimental, I can't help but feel that I am missing something critical. I've been hoping to build my own plane for around 18 years now, since I was in my early teens, and frankly I was surprised at what older certified planes are going for.

I must be missing something. I'm hoping you, the experts, can help clarify what I may be missing. I'm not starting a homebuilt/certified is better discussion. I'm primarily fixated on price, at the moment, and I'm very confused as to why old certified and home built aircraft are coming in at roughly the same price.

Back