building durand MK V

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

greentowtruck

Hi all I am starting a Durand MK V it is a 2 place all metal cabin biplane with a reverse (negative) stagger to the wings, full span flaps on both wings with spoilers for roll control on the lower wing. Also has a stabilator horizontal with full width trim tabs. I bought this project from a local EAA member who could not finish it. He already had all the wing ribs cut and flanges formed, most of the vertical stab and rudder parts formed and some of the rear fuselage/ horizontal/ vertical stab mounting parts formed. Also have most of the wing main spars. I will have alot of questions but will be posting more in the sheet metal forum

biplaneowner

I've recently purchased the Durand Mark V biplane, serial # 1....Built by William Durand...the plane was moved to Minneapolis Mn and in the process of moving it one of the elevators was lost....also the nose wheel leg was cut off...I've located the manufacturer and have sent the blueprint for them to make it....I have an A&E guy that is going to assemble it and test fly it for me....my email is [email protected]

1Bad88

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Minnesnowtan! I drooled over that plane many times when it was on CL; definitely in a class of its own. I hope that you can make a successful go of it.

biplaneowner

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Minnesnowtan! I drooled over that plane many times when it was on CL; definitely in a class of its own. I hope that you can make a successful go of it.
So far so good....We have the Durand Mark V flying, well my mechanic has logged 10 flawless hours and we were 30 miles short of Oshkosh 2016 and got weathered out...I am looking to take my training in the Mark V as soon as I can find a CFI in the New Richmond Wi area...we are at NRAA if you know of anyone

Joe Fisher

That is so cool. I new Bill Durand and I was there off and on when he was building that airplane. If he were alive today I expect he would be on this board just like Orion was. It was so fun to land there and Burt's Very Vigin would be parked it front of the hanger.