Building a VW Aero-Engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Vigilant1

The dog and cat bowl look just right. But, If I buy the other set of SS bowls , I can give my wife the ones I don't want and get some points. :)
WARNING, DANGER, Will Robinson!!

Pops, I would not presume to offer you relationship advice, but your present course risks violating two spousal gift rules I received from my FIL He was a wonderful man, a loving husband, and an engineer. He had no innate talent for choosing spousal gifts and learned many lessons the hard way.

"1) By-product gifts are not a good idea." If you buy a shotgun and Browning sends you a free field bag that would clearly make a great purse, do not give it to the spouse as a gift. It is essential that any gift be, or appear to be, the product of a focussed, long, diligent search with her preferences as the only consideration. By-product gifts fail this test.

"2 ) Eschew practical gifts. " My MIL was, for years, brokenhearted to receive well-meant practical gifts. The straw that broke the camel's back was a Valentine gift of two dozen vacuum cleaner bags-- the kids still talk about the tears that resulted and the heart-to-heart talk that the adolescents had to have with their dad.

Obviously, you know your bride well, so do what is best. I'd stash the extra bowls in the appropriate cabinet. If I felt compelled to gift them, I'd fill 'em with bath salts, candles, incense, or some other ridiculous junk that nobody needs and wrap it up.

(Gift wrapping: Another thing my FIL had to learn to appreciate.)

Mark

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Been married since July 29th, 1960 to the same woman. Since I am just like your FIL ,she has to be a strong one. What is wrong with a dog dish for a present?. Didn't know you are required to give Valentine gifts. Never did understand about bath salts, candles, incense etc.
A lot about this married stuff I don't understand. I know one thing, woman are not human. Don't know what, but NOT human.
Believe I'm not ready or educated enough for marriage .

I do tell my wife that when I get married again , I'm going to make sure that she is dumber than I am. She always says , "Good luck with that". Isn't that nice of her.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
The dog bowls shown above are just right for a batch of t'mater soup. Don't even have to remove the plastic when I use them on the induction plate.
Price has tripled since I bought the last one.:(

Pops

Log Member
I have a change of plans.
As I get older I get slower, since I have several VW engines, thinking about using the 1834 engine that was in the SSSC with a new German made crankshaft that I have since the one in it had a prop strike. ( checked the runout and it was .006") By going in this direction I can get the SSSC back in the air as soon as I get the covering and painting finished ( hoping for April when the winter is over). Then I have time to build the new engine mount and intake manifold for the Flywheel drive engine after the airplane is flying and just swap engines when I want.

blane.c

Been married since July 29th, 1960 to the same woman. Since I am just like your FIL ,she has to be a strong one. What is wrong with a dog dish for a present?. Didn't know you are required to give Valentine gifts. Never did understand about bath salts, candles, incense etc.
A lot about this married stuff I don't understand. I know one thing, woman are not human. Don't know what, but NOT human.
Believe I'm not ready or educated enough for marriage .

I do tell my wife that when I get married again , I'm going to make sure that she is dumber than I am. She always says , "Good luck with that". Isn't that nice of her.
We are all married to the same Woman, they just have different names.

Geraldc

I see Revmaster are fitting a cdi magneto unit for spark and charge.
Not for sale to retrofit.
Looks like unit off Johnson Evinrude outboard.Anyone fitted one?

ToddK

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
I have been using auto shock rubbers in my VW engine mounts for many years. They are 1 1/4" OD and 5/16" ID. Can buy at Advance Auto Parts Part # 98101 or Shock tower grommets at NAPA auto parts store, Part # 8015. I ordered some from ebay ( the orange colored ones) but the OD is smaller.

Attachments

I have been using auto shock rubbers in my VW engine mounts for many years. They are 1 1/4" OD and 5/16" ID. Can buy at Advance Auto Parts Part # 98101 or Shock tower grommets at NAPA auto parts store, Part # 8015. I ordered some from ebay ( the orange colored ones) but the OD is smaller.
Love the simple solution!

Pops

Log Member
Picture of the oil sump with a drain. An extension was welded to the oil pickup tube to within about 1/2" inside the bottom. No problem unporting the oil pickup in a hard slip. The box is from Zero and the part is # Z30-30A cut to 1.75" high. Also used one to make my air breather and a larger one for the airbox. ( # Z48-48A ) 3"x 4. 5" long.
Have a aluminum baffle under the engine to force air over the fins on the bottom of the case for cooling , opening in the nose bowl below the prop.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
is that oil being routed to give permanent carb heat before it gets to the cooler? Are the two SCAT hoses forcing air down through the oil cooler?
Yes, a small amount of carb heat, just like on a Lyc engine. Before the hot oil box the carb would ice up in a NY heartbeat. Also at times the mixture charge was condensing in the intake manifold before getting to the heads and the droplets of fuel would go into the cylinder at one time and made the engine run rough at times. Hot oil also stopped that and the engine became smoother and more powerful. A side benefit , it also cools the oil 20 degrees. I still use my exhaust carb heat as you would on a small cont engine but I have never got carb ice since I installed the hot oil box.

Yes, the two scat 2" hose forces the air down through the oil cooler. If the OAT's are below 70 degs, I have to unhook one of them to keep my oil temps up. Need to make a flapper valve in one of the hoses so I can adjust from the cockpit.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Rebuilt the air baffle that directs the air from a oval hole below the prop on the nosebowl over the fins on the bottom of the engine case to help with the oil temps. Mounted the fiberglass tube that connects the airbox to the carb. The aluminum vent tube runs to an alum tube in the side of the fiberglass tube to vent the engine case to the intake of the carb. At first I was always having a little oil mist around the crankshaft seal behind the prop hub. Tried several different locations for the end of the vent tube looking for a low pressure area. Finally decided to do what VW does to vent the engine in the VW Bug. They run it to the aircleaner of the carb on the engine. No more oil mist around the front oil seal. Stays dry.

Attachments