Quantcast

Building a VW Aero-Engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

scramjetter

I forgot to mention this but wow, you got some great deals on those cases! $50 - $100!? Fantastic!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, re: video #1: Do you do your own welding on the case?
No not now, my old airplane building Dallas is a better welder than I am now, I can't see the fine detail of the puddle like I used to and my hand shakes if not in a good position. Dallas is about 1 1/2 years younger than I am and so far not having problems like I am having.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Pops, one interesting topic would be your thoughts on differences in the setup of a flywheel drive vs. pulley-end drive configurations. We've discussed it little bit on this forum, but it would be interesting to see you talking through the considerations with, say, a crank laid into a case half. For example, one question before was placement of the end play shims. You get the idea....

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, one interesting topic would be your thoughts on differences in the setup of a flywheel drive vs. pulley-end drive configurations. We've discussed it little bit on this forum, but it would be interesting to see you talking through the considerations with, say, a crank laid into a case half. For example, one question before was placement of the end play shims. You get the idea....
Good idea. So much material to go over.

Turd Ferguson

No not now, my old airplane building Dallas is a better welder than I am now, I can't see the fine detail of the puddle like I used to and my hand shakes if not in a good position. Dallas is about 1 1/2 years younger than I am and so far not having problems like I am having.
Any specifics on welding magnesium? I'm collecting some parts for a 1/2 VW. I think I'll follow this series before I start.

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
Here is the Link Pops is referring to. Bob left all of us a gift his widow keeps the blog live. We are all tankfull. HVX MODS
I have also directed the Wayback Machine to take a snapshot of the blog as well. Hopefully its useable

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Any specifics on welding magnesium? I'm collecting some parts for a 1/2 VW. I think I'll follow this series before I start.
Have a big pile of sand handy to put out fires, and no, I'm not kidding. If it gets truly going they will see your shop from the International Space Station.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It appears your going to get a few hundred likes over this thread Dan and that number may be rather low. Looking forward to intake and carb also ignition.

hohocc

Part #1 in Building a VW Aero- Engine. Not a good speaker, but its just me. No editing.

Dan R.
If that's without editing then I think you are a good speaker!
Anyway very interesting and please keep it up as and when it suits you.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
No editing yet. No, not a good speaker, have had to work on my speaking all of my life. English is a hard language.

n45bm

No editing yet. No, not a good speaker, have had to work on my speaking all of my life. English is a hard language.
English is indeed a difficult language to learn, but I've managed. Spanish is my native language. Thank you for your videos. I'd like to see some from you on your take of intake systems, carburetion, maybe details of your oil cooling setup, baffling etc. I know it's a lot to ask, but it would sure make you a hero in the eyes of us bug engine flyers. Thanks.
Bernardo

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
On balancing the rod ends, use a small ball bearing instead of hanging on a nail or screw. The rod will tend to center itself .

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Next video will be about moving the dip-stick to the flywheel end.

I accidentally turned over my main 500 watt light and broke the bulb. Bought the wrong one today. I sure need more lighting.

Attachments