Building a twin mustang

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

F82man

Also, thanks for the info on the engines, I appreciate your insight into this area. Don

AVI

F82Man
What or which F-82 drawings/blueprints did you obtain and how did you go about finalizing your design? In other words, it's 85% scale but how close to scale is your airframe and wings?
For example, Tony's 82% F4U does not use faithful scale outlines/proportions.

F82man

Hi Iceman, I originally obtained drawings from the Smithsonian, but they were not accurate, (they actually looked very much like 2 p-51-Ds on the same wing). So it was necessary to re draw from pictures, and whatever actual measurements I could find. I realize this is the "hard way" of doing it. I have located many pictures of the A/C, and it has given me insight as to many of the curves, and shapes that need to be scaled down for the "look" to be right. This has turned out to be a nightmare and is very time consuming. And you know the routine, after a "piece" of the plug (puzzle) is constructed, the other "pieces" are fitted together to see how the shapes, and curves look, and to make sure the scale looks right. Then it gets foamed, and once again, the shapes are checked for accuracy, and then we go to the next part.... Currently there is no fiberglass or epoxy skin attached, so minor changes (read that MANY...), are made rather easily using a hot wire. Then all is covered with a thin coat of drywall mud for ease of shaping, and then with epoxy, or fiberglass for a hard outer shell for the molds. I have the rough drawings for the wings, but have not started on them yet, as I want to get the fuse completed. The size of the foamed Plug is rather large, and coming along nicely. My wife has given the project an appropriate name, it being: NIGHTMARE, so I guess that will be the name on the nose.

By the way, I was looking on Wikipedia, and found that Bill Koleno of Titan T-51 fame is working on an all aluminum 60% scale P-82. I don't know what power plants he will be using, but at that scale it will be very small, ( appx. 30 foot wingspan, and 23 foot fuselage lengths). I emailed him and he seemed surprised that I found out about his project online. He said he wants to have it flyable for Osh Kosh 2010, and make a grand entrance. Hopefully he can get it flying by then. Thanks Don

pepsi71ocean

I've been doing good, just idling away with some other projects, mostly money driven.

I picked up a nigh crew job at Target, while i figure out my latest project on the Open market. I plan to trade futures and options to try and build he capitol needed for the motor, and later on the P-51.

After G-dad(a major player in the project) died the whole project ground to a halt, and i lost my way but i needed to re focus and prioritize.

F82man

I think I understand your situation, My father passed away when I was in the Air Force working on C-141s, and he took a large part of me with him, and I think of him every day. I decided to go ahead with my project in his memory, as he served in Korea. It has been difficult, dealing with his loss, but when I get discouraged, I think of the good times I had with him, and it motivates me to continue on. It worked for me. Please don't give up, continue on in his memory, I'm sure he would be proud of your accomplishments....Don

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Huh, I thought I had already state this, but a search through this thread came up empty. Guess I'll say it here and now.

My dad was also in Korea (actually, on a remote fighter base in Japan most of the time). He worked on F-82's.

Bruce :)

F82man

Thanks bmcj, could your dad have possibly been in Itazuke Japan? A close friend that recently passed on, worked as a Radar Tech on the F-82s at Itazuke Japan for the 68th F(AW)S. Also, my friends grandfather, Bud Sherman was the pilot in the F-82 FQ-403 picture that is on my avatar. It is a small world out there. Thanks again for sharing, Don

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Thanks bmcj, could your dad have possibly been in Itazuke Japan? A close friend that recently passed on, worked as a Radar Tech on the F-82s at Itazuke Japan for the 68th F(AW)S. Also, my friends grandfather, Bud Sherman was the pilot in the F-82 FQ-403 picture that is on my avatar. It is a small world out there. Thanks again for sharing, Don
Sorry, I don't remember which base he was at. I'll try to find that out.

pepsi71ocean

Huh, I thought I had already state this, but a search through this thread came up empty. Guess I'll say it here and now.

My dad was also in Korea (actually, on a remote fighter base in Japan most of the time). He worked on F-82's.

Bruce :)
what do you mean by "worked" as in the engine half of the airplanes?

F82man

There's a Titan P-51 for sale on Ebay for about 34,000. Nice looking plane. Check it out. Don

F82man

Hi everyone, had a few setbacks, but we are trucking on. Sold the house and paid the Mayo Clinic a big chunk of money, so all is well. Hope to write soon. Don

Workhorse

Hi Don. If you say all is well, all is well. Hope to hear from you soon too, and that is a magnificent project we are interested in.

F82man

Hey everyone, hope all is well. Things are going well here too. I was in contact with Bill Koleno of Titan T-51 fame last thanksgiving, and he said he is building a 60% scale F-82, and should have it flying by Osh Kosh to do a "surprise" visit. He didn't elaborate on powerplants, but he did say it will be a 4 seater. If you look on Wikipedia, F-82 replica, the basic info is there. He updated his info to say the "First" flying replica. Wish him well in his endeavor, it will be great. Oh, by the way, it is a secret, and no one is to know. SShhhh, Don

pepsi71ocean

Hey everyone, hope all is well. Things are going well here too. I was in contact with Bill Koleno of Titan T-51 fame last thanksgiving, and he said he is building a 60% scale F-82, and should have it flying by Osh Kosh to do a "surprise" visit. He didn't elaborate on powerplants, but he did say it will be a 4 seater. If you look on Wikipedia, F-82 replica, the basic info is there. He updated his info to say the "First" flying replica. Wish him well in his endeavor, it will be great. Oh, by the way, it is a secret, and no one is to know. SShhhh, Don
so that is the end of your project?

i wish it was a 80% scale and not a 60%, imagine twin suzuki V6's or a power plant!

F82man

Hi Pepsi, Naw, that doesn't mean mine is over. I feel my larger scale will be that much better, and to see it flying will be great, since it will only be 5 feet 8 inches shorter than the original. I currently have the fuselage in a storage unit (35 ft), and the wife said we need to find a new house that has enough room to build the project. She is very supportive?? and has named it her "Nightmare". Still waiting for a house to come along, as there will be plenty coming soon in our area. I am just going to wait for a deal I can't refuse.
Oh, by the way, I found more info on a "stroked" Viper. Supercharged, the crankshaft horse power is about 1042 at 4000 RPM, and about 800 at 3200 RPM. This is at 522 cubic inches.
How are you, and how is the engine project coming along? Write when you can. Thanks, Don

pepsi71ocean

Hi Pepsi, Naw, that doesn't mean mine is over. I feel my larger scale will be that much better, and to see it flying will be great, since it will only be 5 feet 8 inches shorter than the original. I currently have the fuselage in a storage unit (35 ft), and the wife said we need to find a new house that has enough room to build the project. She is very supportive?? and has named it her "Nightmare". Still waiting for a house to come along, as there will be plenty coming soon in our area. I am just going to wait for a deal I can't refuse.
Oh, by the way, I found more info on a "stroked" Viper. Supercharged, the crankshaft horse power is about 1042 at 4000 RPM, and about 800 at 3200 RPM. This is at 522 cubic inches.
How are you, and how is the engine project coming along? Write when you can. Thanks, Don
i bet a tuned down supercharger version would be more then suffice for your F-82.

as for me, work as all abut stopped on everything, as ive in turned went out and got a trucking job, and im working on starting a hot shoting company with my 1 ton truck.

the plan is to put the engine and the P-51 on the back burner, as ive come to terms that i won't make enough money working back to back jobs wise, and that i need to work smarter at this point.

i ran into a chance happening and i now hang out with three futures traders, and the plan is to eventually trade futures and truck, this way i can live on the trucking income, and put away the futures income towards the engine and then an airplane for it.

the Merlin engines as it stands ive calculated will run about 2,200 Hp at 3,300rpm's and i want to drop them into a boat and see how it works.

but point it for now it is exactly that a pipe dream, that has been besiged by the realities that the set backs have gotten me to the point where ive realised that at 21 i can't make enough money working 3 jobs to get a down payment on that airplane let alone the motor which is the cheaper of the two.

F82man

Pepsi, I feel for you and hope things get better. Take some time to get things straight and hopefully it will work out. Try the idea of the futures traders, and it might surprise you what can happen. At your age you have a great future ahead of you, use it wisely.

I've finally bought a house that I can enlarge the shop to work on my project in. Work is slow here too, but starting to pick up. We've got an airshow to plan for in 2012, and that is taking alot of my time right now. I am working on having a non-flying static replica that will be on display at the air show. So I've got my work cut out in the near future. Email me at f82man@gmail.com, and I'll keep in touch. Thanks for all your motivation, and don't give up, you will make it!! Don

F82man

Have any of you seen the You Tube video where George Giboney crash lands his Thunder Mustang and lives to tell about it? Take a look and it shows how well the T M is built, Awesome that no one was hurt seriously. Don

Raptor

Have any of you seen the You Tube video where George Giboney crash lands his Thunder Mustang and lives to tell about it? Take a look and it shows how well the T M is built, Awesome that no one was hurt seriously. Don
Sure composites are great for dissipating energy, but I would have liked to have seen more cockpit structure around him at the end. Seeing how he was sitting on the wing when it was over. I would think Kevlar, would be part of the tub, as in race cars.

Paul

Group Builder