• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building a BMW 1150 engine (redrive?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusionfab

So after stewing over engines for what seemed like months and months I had decided to build a BMW 1150 Dual ignition engine for my Kitfox. My donor engine came from a 2005. I have rebuilt the entire engine including having the crank turned and heads done case journals measured. Replaced all bearings pistons rings, seals, timing parts etc etc.

Now that the engine itself is near completion I have been pondering redrive ideas. I've looked into the commonly used rotax c drives but have also looked into running a multiple vbelt system, cog belt, and even chain drive system. However my question is what about direct drive? Would it work/be a good setup?
My only concern with a direct drive is the length of prop shaft/hub because it would have to clear the starter. So perhaps an external bearing machined into a custom face plate? The engine is said to run 93hp, 73ftlbs and idles around 1100rpm. Any input or advice on these setups for this style engine. Ive read lots of threads regarding the different systems but typically for the use on other style engines. I will continue searching also. Thanks

Back