Build supplies under the clouds

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Just ordered some plywood. Shipping cost would buy a lot more plywood. Will not be long at this rate where the shipping cost will equal the cost of the item.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I could be wrong...but I've always been under the impression that the ply used in musical instruments was the same ply that is used in aircraft construction.
I don't know about that; it could be. Maybe someone will volunteer a Stradivarius for a boiling water test so we can find out.

Pilot-34

There is a reason that wicks started out in the organ business before becoming a aircraft supply.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
"We also offer a 3 ply plywood using melamine glue for laser cutting. A one sheet minimum purchase is required and can be cut to 24" x 48" for UPS shipping."

That indicates to me that they are willing to do very small production runs.
Replacing Spruce spars with composite can be done, but replacing a ply D-tube with composite, at the same weight, is much harder.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Try paying shipping to locations half-way around the world. :confused: Shipping can be nearly equal to item value for rolls of glass. Then there's import taxes at the border...
it’s always amazed me how to get something from China to the middle of the United States can be done overnight and for a few cents but if I want it to stop in Alaska ,about halfway through that trip it’s gonna cost me 100 times as much!

TFF

It’s called path of least resistance. A hard turn north, splitting off early or stop and turn, costs more than spilling it all in the center. What is more funny is that I bet 20% of the FedEx and UPS pilots live in Alaska. If there wasn’t a country in between to skip customs, it wouldn’t be bad as it is for trucking. A friend who lives on a small island in Hawaii says if it shows up, you better buy it. Even in good times it might be months for the same thing to even show up.