Build supplies under the clouds

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Might as well plant Allominium Invisabilitum. Takes a little longer to grow to harvest-able size but they are a little less dense. Weight matters........

I've even heard that if you plant them with a roll of copper pennies, not zinc, that you can get 2024.

rv7charlie

Back to shipping...With ACS, USPS Priority is almost always cheaper than UPS Ground, and even with that criminal Lois DeJoy running USPS, it's faster. Once DeJoy is sacked, it will be a *lot* faster, as it was before he took over in June 2020.

Doran Jaffas

I have heard that the online shipping charges come out high. You will get lower shipping charges if you call the order in and talk to a human. I don't remember if I ever tested that since my last couple orders were will call.
I haven't ordered a lot of stuff from them but when I do I get it shipped promptly and very little shipping costs from my point of view anyway. I always thought their customer service was excellent and they're shipping fees reasonable but then again I've never ordered any kind of hazardous chemical.

BJC

HBA Supporter
A neighbor is finishing the interior of a new hangar. The cost of the plywood that he is using has increased by a factor of five over the past 9 months.

BJC

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
But a lot of that is supply driven rather than shipping costs. The new housing boom due to the recent trend of exodus from the cities is a huge driver of building material costs. I haven't kept records but it looks like wood in general has doubled in cost in the same period at our hardware stores.
Your hurricanes do the same to the price of our drywall, way up here in the Rockies, on a seasonal cycle.

gtae07

But a lot of that is supply driven rather than shipping costs. The new housing boom due to the recent trend of exodus from the cities is a huge driver of building material costs. I haven't kept records but it looks like wood in general has doubled in cost in the same period at our hardware stores.
Your hurricanes do the same to the price of our drywall, way up here in the Rockies, on a seasonal cycle.
I've also heard a persistent rumor that the sawmills expected a contraction in demand this time last year and spooled down production; meanwhile, everyone and their brother decided it was time to build something...

don january

Log Member
stocked up on rib lace and cost was 49.85 for 400 yds shipping 27.14 and with tax 82.38 total bill. That one kinda hurt.:(

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I always hate seeing trees junked. Things like urban trees are usually thrown away because through the years spikes, nails, and target practice can be imbedded. Saw mills usually don’t want them unless they are something special. I will say there is a stretch if I-55 Between Memphis,TN and Jackson, MS where the roadside trees are very intriguing. They are very straight pine trees that somehow only have limbs at the top so no knots. Airplane wood. Of course it’s very illegal to cut them down.

I have been saving trees like that for years. Rarely a tree that comes down in my neighborhood that I don't take to get sawn into dimensional lumber. My sawyer charges me 35 cents per board foot. Cant beat it.

rv7charlie

there is a stretch if I-55 Between Memphis,TN and Jackson, MS where the roadside trees are very intriguing. They are very straight pine trees that somehow only have limbs at the top so no knots. Airplane wood. Of course it’s very illegal to cut them down.
A lot of those trees are now gone. They were in medians all over the state, but someone started clear-cutting long stretches several years ago. Would be nice if the state got the revenue from the sale of the lumber, but given the widespread cronyism...

rv7charlie

Good to hear. I55 south of Jackson & I20 east of Jackson has had hundreds of acres of median clearcut.

TFF

I end up going to Hattiesburg or Vicksburg when heading to the other side of Jackson. Whoever started that mess going to Hattiesburg needs a working over.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some years ago, there was a person who had a trailer and truck who delivered Vans kits for considerably less than the cost of commercial shipping.
Yeah, Chopperg*rl has been tough to get a hold of lately.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm going to beat a dead horse with 2 examples here.....

1. When I placed my order for plywood with Wicks....I was quoted around $450 - $500 shipping for a 4 hour trip.
To their credit,the shipping only came out to around $350.....so I will give credit where it is due in this case.
But Wicks & ACS can't be the only suppliers of aircraft grade plywood......somebody is manufacturing and supplying to them.
Sometimes cutting out the middle man and going straight to the manufacturer can save $$$.....if you can find that manufacturer.

2. Our cabinet shop at work uses a lot of custom wood & fittings for their designs.
We were getting skinned alive with the shipping costs on every order that we placed.
With a little research and stubbornness on my part I found out that the supplier is only 45 minutes from our shop and that their trucks make several trips past us through the week.
So now,instead of our orders coming in from all parts of the country.....we just have them deliver to us on their way through from 45 minutes down the road.
We buy the driver lunch and give him some beer money and they are always happy to pull into our shop.
So going straight to the manufacturer has saved our company literally $ tens of thousands of dollars $ in shipping that we don't have to pass onto our clients.

Kevin

TFF

Google will tell you where it’s made in the US. I have found it before. The issue is volume. ACS and Wicks have to have a volume discount. At best to not piss off the best customers, the manufacturer is not going to undercut them. You could buy volume and be one of them. If you are close you would be lucky. I’m sure the rest goes overseas.

I can make a family trip out of 4-5 hours. At least I can spend that money for me if I have to spend it. More of us would have stash, if shipping wasn’t such a bear. It definitely helps the ones who have the wherewithal to buy full projects of materials.

Home - Aircraft Plywood Mfg. here you go.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That is where Wicks is located. Is it a new knock-off business for Wicks? I started buying from Wicks when it was Wick Organ back in the early 1970's.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
TFF......I found that information before I placed the order for my plywood from Wicks.
Nice website and nice products that they offer.....BUT YOU CAN'T BUY FROM THEM.....you have to go through one of their distributors which happen to be Wicks & ACS.
They would not give me any info as to who else they supply.....maybe they only manufacture for ACS & Wicks,but I highly doubt that.
It would be foolish for a company to solely depend on 2 distributors to keep them in business.
They are selling their product world wide....they just won't say who they are supplying.
For all I know,they could possibly be supplying someone local to me..........

Kevin

TFF

Might be under the umbrella. I had a non aviation friend who rebuilt and played organs. He bought stuff from Wicks. It’s pretty cool crawling around in walls working on a big organ. I think the Organ stuff moved across the street. Race car stuff is another outlet.

Aircraft ply is rare. Stand alone. Thin veneer is not rare. They probably only make airplane stuff in batches a couple of times a year. The rest of the year, they are making lesser grade with the same machine. How much airplane ply do you think is sold a year? I bet all of it would fit in one shipping container probably a small one. That includes the stuff going overseas. My model airplanes don’t require exactly aircraft ply. Would I use it to build a real plane? Don’t know. I’m bet they make hobby ply for all those outlets.
Yes they probably only have a couple of outlets for aviation. The old aircraft parts houses have long ago taken it off their catalogs. if you were willing to buy 1000 sheets; they probably would talk. 3 is not worth the time when there are already outlets. They also probably don’t have stock but ship out runs with preorders only.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I could be wrong...but I've always been under the impression that the ply used in musical instruments was the same ply that is used in aircraft construction.
Particularly that a lot of it is shipped overseas.

Kevin