Build supplies under the clouds

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

don january

Log Member
I want to drop in and give a little in site on ordering supplies from companies such as Aircraft Spruce and specialties and the like. I have placed an order to Aircraft Spruce and while filling out the on line order form the shipping was $171.00 and I realized prices are high these days but I did knock down the shipping cost down to $31.00 dollars. You probably say how the heck was this done? Well first thing I realized half the order was chemical and had Hazard fee's and was found that if a person can order smaller amount then a gallon as I ordered quart can fees were much less. Also if your ordering things such as pinked tape or place cards or anything none Hazard place that order into a separate order. Basically if you can have things sent the cheapest route and can stand for waiting a few days it helps 100 percent in cost. Wood is very pricey to ship and the bigger the ply or board length the higher the cost in shipping and cost of wood. So have any of you guys found ways to get cost down in shipping??

BJC

HBA Supporter
I cheat. My daughter and her family live in Peachtree City, GA, where ACS has a store. I order and stop by and pick up the order when I go to visit.

Lots of people complain about ACS, but I never have been forced to buy from them. When I have bought from them, they have been good to deal with.

BJC

Marc W

I have heard that the online shipping charges come out high. You will get lower shipping charges if you call the order in and talk to a human. I don't remember if I ever tested that since my last couple orders were will call.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
I just recently received some 5052 aluminum sheet for the new fuel tanks I'm building. Their automated system quoted shipping at $170 (by truck). I had the sheet cut up into pieces that fit in a 4' x 2' box and shipping ended up being about $50. Just make sure you fill out the special instructions. They called me to verify what I wanted and I received what I asked for.

don january

Log Member
My prior order before this last one had 6- 2ftx4ft ply sheets and was damaged by UPS and I took a couple pictures and emailed to ACS and within just a few days I had 6 new sheets without a dime out of pocket. I was very impressed with the supplier but disappointed with UPS. Would be very nice if supplier would refund or credit 50% of the shipping cost for the delay but that isn't going to happen in this day and age.

gtae07

I cheat. My daughter and her family live in Peachtree City, GA, where ACS has a store. I order and stop by and pick up the order when I go to visit.
We do the same; my parents and in laws live up there. Sometimes they even pick the orders up for me and bring them down 😁

don january

Log Member
Your right BJC damages had nothing to do with supplier. I have spoken to a fello log member about cost of shipping and he is unhappy with cost but as ACS told me on the phone UPS sets cost and it is out of their control. But it would be nice if supplier had something in contract to help ease the embarrassment of the supplier when things go south beyond their control. I guess my biggest gripe is we builders are not going to stop our build because of today's cost of shipping. We just need to find a way to even out the pinch. I think that is an area were a builder should consider shipping distance or self pick up should be part of getting set up for the build just like a good table and tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

TFF

Amazon has killed cheap shipping. If you are not associated, you are paying the real cost of not being in the club. I live in a shipping town with pretty white and purple airplanes. Lots of warehouses close by with stuff people want. If you are not in, you are out. Buy a MD11 full of space and they might listen. I think now days, the warehouse workers are carrying the company. They have to sell product at cost because it’s that competitive. All they got is labor of a few to carry the company by boxing stuff up.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Try paying shipping to locations half-way around the world. :confused: Shipping can be nearly equal to item value for rolls of glass. Then there's import taxes at the border...

cvairwerks

I bought a bunch of hardware from Skygeek recently. Shipping was going to be $100 for essentially two pounds of hardware that would fit in a 6 inch cube. It appears that programmers had a disconnect where items were priced per part, but sold in bagged quantities. The system thought I was buying 500 bags of washers rather than 500 washers....

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Shipping being a problem is nothing new. We just had a small blip in the last 100 years or so, due to the industrial revolution and cheap energy. It's going to get worse.....but the why gets into the political.

Between crating charges and shipping costs getting wood, of ANY species, that is good enough for aircraft to my location costs as much or more than the wood.
I've seriously considered putting in a standing order with the local tree trimmers to match their removal fee if they bring the log to me in 20 foot lengths. There are enough 100+ year old trees in front yards, of the correct species, to make the idea maybe practical.
A nice Spruce tree (I know it has been there since my parents were teenagers) just recently blew over in the park near me, due to the recent 70 MPH wind and water logged soil, that could have built a couple wood planes. "Too much liability to do that. We'll just grind it up for mulch at the land fill like we do all the rest."

Pilot-34

I just priced shipping a 4x4x8 foot 1800 pound crate from central IL to anchorage Ak
$6800
Or a entire 40 foot shipping container from Seattle to anchorage for the same

BJC

HBA Supporter
Some years ago, there was a person who had a trailer and truck who delivered Vans kits for considerably less than the cost of commercial shipping. I don’t know if he still is in business, but if he is not, there may be a decent job opportunity for a retiree.

BJC

TFF

I always hate seeing trees junked. Things like urban trees are usually thrown away because through the years spikes, nails, and target practice can be imbedded. Saw mills usually don’t want them unless they are something special. I will say there is a stretch if I-55 Between Memphis,TN and Jackson, MS where the roadside trees are very intriguing. They are very straight pine trees that somehow only have limbs at the top so no knots. Airplane wood. Of course it’s very illegal to cut them down.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My daughter bought some land on a mountain ridge on her private road behind a locked gate. Acres and acres of huge trees where the first limb is 30- 50' from the ground with a 3'+ dia. Maple, white oak, red oak, yellow poplar, some walnut. Last time it was logged was about 120 years ago. I've been cutting a few to clear some land to build a cabin. Have 3 more large ones to cut. We have a pile of very nice logs for the mill .