• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Build of Inexpensive Ultralight Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred in Wisc

I lost the storage where I had been storing and tinkering with my old Rans S-4 ultralight. I temporarily had it in a carport tent on my driveway, but with winter coming I needed a better solution. The dang squirrels were storing walnuts in it.

Mission parameters for the build: big enough for my little plane, light enough to tow with my minivan, cheap (money for trailer comes out of plane budget), relatively weatherproof, life span at least a few years with easy repairs if needed.

I broke this out of another thread (Shrink Wrap Wings), didn't want to interfere with that one.

I started with a boat trailer. I found one that had 2 frame rails all the way to the front, was heavy duty (for stiffness more than weight capacity),and most important had the frame tops all in the same flat plane. Paid a whole $120 off a Craigslist ad. And it's even got decent tires and bearing buddies.

If you want to build a trailer like this,I'd look for this type of trailer. It's an Evinrude Fathom Master from the 70s. They seem pretty common, usually found with a nasty old fiberglass trihull boat on them, which gets cut up and dumped.

Attachments

• Phone pics 11-4-15 1422.jpg
    Phone pics 11-4-15 1422.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Phone pics 11-4-15 1423.jpg
    Phone pics 11-4-15 1423.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Back