Build of Inexpensive Ultralight Trailer

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Fred in Wisc, Dec 15, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2016 #41

Fred in Wisc

Fred in Wisc

Fred in Wisc

Great score there, CG! I'm a huge fan of recycling free stuff on CL or Freecycle.

I'll put up some more detailed trailer pics, I learned a few things on my build that might help you out. I have a pretty slick way to put a longer plane in a shorter trailer, I think.

If that old Evinrude runs, you should be able to make it into enough $ for a rebuild kit for your Cuyuna. I agree that it's worth more without the boat. You'll want to be able to demo it running in a tub of water to get a decent price for it. Around here, that motor is probably worth $50-100 for parts or $2-400 running and with controls. I'm sure that varies a lot regionally. Don't start it out of water or you'll burn up the water pump impeller.

2. Mar 16, 2017 #42

Fred in Wisc

Fred in Wisc

Fred in Wisc

Updates after (almost) 2 winters.

The shrink wrap tightness varies with temperature. When it gets hot out the wrap is looser, colder out it's tighter. last summer I reshrunk some areas that were a bit loose and now in the cold those areas have pulled VERY tight and in some places pulled the tape loose. I'll fix that when it warms up a bit.

After 2 winters some of the tape not under extreme tension is also coming loose. If the edges aren't really stuck down water starts to work its way in and the tape gradually loses adhesion. The adhesive on it turns to some sort or kind of crystalline substance which wipes off pretty easily with a solvent, then new tape can be applied.

I've had a few punctures from falling tree limbs and carelessness with long pointy things, but it's quite durable in that regard. Just wait for a sunny day and stick a piece of tape on those.

So I'm perfectly comfortable using it for a trailer, but I don't think I'd use it on wings unless for a very low speed low load application (Bloop?) where it gets inspected regularly and replaced pretty often.

Had a foot of snow and 2 days of high wind advisories this week, with lots of big trees down (in fact my neighbor had a 60' pine fall only 20' from this trailer) and had only minor damage(lost a little tape that was loose already)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    cluttonfred likes this.