Quantcast

Build area tips and advice

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
So my shop renter moved out and I am in the middle of re-insulating my entire shop due to a raccoon infestation last winter(man they are destructive). I am setting up my dedicated build area for my KR2S. I have 24x30 area set aside for the build and was wondering what you guys have found as a life saver or great ideas you could not live without while building. I have great lighting, plenty of bench space, heat and cooling, two 220v outlets and 10 or so 110v outlets beer fridge and great sound system. What have you found to be real handy or something maybe you would have done differently if you could have set up your area from scratch? I figure I have the chance before I really dig into this build so I might as well make any changes now. Let's hear those "man I wish I would have's" or the "I'm really glad I did's". Thanks in advance guys.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
So my shop renter moved out and I am in the middle of re-insulating my entire shop due to a raccoon infestation
Now that’s the sign of a really kind landlord. Most people would just let the raccoons suffer in the cold outside. A rare few individuals would let them come inside, but you are going beyond the call of duty insulating the place for them! 😂

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Unfortunately they were in my walls that were insulated, I started hearing scratching then one day came in to find it a little chilly in the shop and found the thermostat wires had been chewed through in my wall, out came the traps. Trapped 5 adults and 4 babies by spring and found their path in and out through the adjacent hay storage barn. Blocked it and waited 6 months with no more noise or signs before I started the renovation. Not a fun project. :mad:

TFF

I remember sitting in a friends house and one scratched through the sheet rock in the ceiling. Just stood there looking at us waiting for us to go away. Dang vaulted ceilings too.

No help on handy dandy stuff, you probably already have it. The only thing I can think of is if you got 24-30 you will want 30-40.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
I've allotted 24x30 but I'm willing to use more. The shop is 54x56 it should suffice for a small 2 seat plane. 😆

WonderousMountain

A drafting room, if I have to go back to a house, office, storage the whole things a wash. Also loft space, but I bike & have knees.

Chilton

Lots of shelf space for part storage, good storage for drawings / plans, something rodents cant get into. A toilet and sink close by, amazing how often being able to wash hands is important. Those would be my main want list items if there is space.

BJC

HBA Supporter
.... and great sound system.
My personal preference has changed over the years. I seldom listen to live radio or recorded music any more; rather, I listen to TV. If something catches my interest (such as something during a sporting event), I might pause and watch the inevitable replay.

Wooden walls absorb sound (noise) better than wallboard, which is better than concrete blocks, which is better than metal.

I encourage you to review the previous threads (links mcrae0104, above) on this subject.

BJC

n6233u

HBA Supporter
Air compressor and air lines? I have them all around my shop and there is never one where I am working at the time, I have added 1/2 as many outlets since originally building the shop and still could use more.

Bright LED lights everywhere, shadows when you are blocking the light is frustrating.

slevair

HBA Supporter
Outlet and drop light reels on the ceiling are great. Always out of the way, but within reach. Trolleys on the ceiling for loading/unloading parts
and tooling. Blueprint easel. Many roll around tool boxes that are task specific and fit under a counter top. Hard piped air and vacuum. White walls and ceiling to reflect light. Dust filtration system. Mini paint booth/hood.(also good for cleaner fumes) Overhead garage door for large
projects.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
I have the air plumbed overhead with drops. Have the garage door right beside the work area. I have a 16x30 loft storage area (where my wood is now). I have the sink about 30ft away. The outside bathroom is feet away. I have around 60ft of metal adjustable stock shelving that I bought from a Local Macys when it went out of business, they will be setup as needed for storage. Never thought about centralizing the vacuum and plumbing for that. Might look into that. May add a few more lights if anything (my eyes arent getting younger) Planning on hanging all the prints on the walls for easy reference. These are all good suggestions. I also read through the threads posted. Some good stuff in there too. Anyone build a warm box to keep epoxy resin in to help it flow better? I'm thinking maybe a deep freezer for prepreg carbon also. I just didn't want to miss an opportunity or overlook something simple that may really help before I start. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Shelves above head height all around for part and supplies storage. You won't need it at the beginning, but you will wish you had it at the end. Make them deep enough to take things like standard file boxes, all of your control surfaces, engine mount, etc.

You can not have too many power outlets, air lines, or outlets for lighting

Billski

gtae07

Akro-Mills organizers with the multiple drawers are great for hardware and fasteners (though I'm building a metal airplane so there are a lot of different kinds).

A lock on the door is useful if you have small children.

Above all else, fight the encroachment of unrelated storage, garden tools, etc.

I suggest not keeping beer in the shop.

pilot103

A clean clear wall. I liked to thumb tac my blueprints I was using in a nice neat row.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Gtae07, I work for a living in my shop everyday and have a beer fridge. I have no issue separating the two. No beers if I'm working on anything for a customer and no touching anything for a customer after I've opened a beer. Not saying a beer or two doesn't make cleaning up and organizing a little more tolerable after the works done though.

Iwerk

I make all of my work benches from used pallet racks.

- they can be setup or broken down in less than 5 minutes.
- they can carry lots of weight and are rock solid. (will not wobble)
- they all have a lower shelf for storage and are adjustable in height.
- I put a set of casters on one bench, so that it can be rolled around the shop.

If I need to move from one shop to another for any reason,
this system easily breaks down and fits in the back of a pickup truck or on to a roof rack of a car.

Here's a link to something similar to what I use in my shop.

Attachments

Last edited:

Iwerk

When it comes to tools, my favorite tool for dismantling things is the Ingersoll-Rand W7150.
It has amazing torque. Plus, the battery seems to last all day long and recharges very quickly.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Gtae07, I work for a living in my shop everyday and have a beer fridge. I have no issue separating the two. No beers if I'm working on anything for a customer and no touching anything for a customer after I've opened a beer. Not saying a beer or two doesn't make cleaning up and organizing a little more tolerable after the works done though.
If you keep good beer on hand, it may draw and retain distractors. Those are folks who come by, mooch a beer or two, and keep you from getting anything done... on the other hand if your buddies do not distract you, but helpout a bunch, well, lucky you. Keep all sorts of stuff on hand that they like.

Billski

Latest posts