Bugatti Model 100 Flying Replica

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The fact is that we don't know anything at this point. From the description, it's as much stall-spiin as power failure. I know waiting is almost unbearable, but wait for the NTSB to publish at least a preliminary report before jumping to conclusions. Please.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Failure to maintain altitude. I doubt we'll learn anything from the FAA.

@Autoreply

Didn't he redesign the transmission unit because they found a fault with the original design? Transmission probably isn't the best word.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The fact is that we don't know anything at this point. From the description, it's as much stall-spiin as power failure. I know waiting is almost unbearable, but wait for the NTSB to publish at least a preliminary report before jumping to conclusions. Please.

Preliminary report here CEN16FA307

BJC

TFF

Looks like they recovered some Go Pros so probably sad to watch, but mechanical issues should be much easier to pin down. Sounds like the story of the the dreaded turn has a play in the wreckage and Im sure crashability has a role in the real sad part.

Turd Ferguson

I agree, the builder's decision to install cameras was likely influenced by the fact that if something did happen, it would be documented. Much better than leaving a lot of questions unanswered and having history incorrectly recorded. Who knows, someone else may take on a similar project one day.

ScaleBirdsScott

I would install cameras everywhere because even if nothing goes wrong, I'd still want to document every aspect of one of the only flights the thing would make, in as much detail as possible.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Not to analyze without all of the facts, but a drop of one wing followed by a drop of the other wing (into the final roll) is certainly consistent with tip stall with a secondary stall of the other tip following correction of the first one. Hopefully they will be able to find the cause, but this is certainly a possibility given the observed deviations. No telling what the tip stall tendency is with that highly tapered wing.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Not to analyze without all of the facts, but a drop of one wing followed by a drop of the other wing (into the final roll) is certainly consistent with tip stall with a secondary stall of the other tip following correction of the first one. Hopefully they will be able to find the cause, but this is certainly a possibility given the observed deviations. No telling what the tip stall tendency is with that highly tapered wing.
This. I'll note that they found no "pre-impact anomalies" anywhere in the driveline, according to the report. There's a lot of data on the stall behavior of highly-tapered wings. It's not pleasant. Depending on the airfoils and twist, they can be benign, but with most combinations they tend towards nasty tip-stall behavior.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it's starting to look like one of the better suspects. Only the final NTSB report, informed by whatever camera footage they can salvage, will tell for sure.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Did they have cameras on the upper surface of the wing near the tip as they did on the previous flight?

BJC

Last edited:

TFF

NTSB reports are interesting because they only can have one fault of a crash. They study the chain of events but the chain can't be the fault. Example which is hard to not make it related to the real accident. So the fuel system could get the blame when the real cause is turning back to the airport. Trying to save the plane instead of self never come out. If successful saving the plane saves self but you can save self and sacrifice the airplane.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I would investigate the listed gross weight (2900 pounds) and get the wing loading and power loading and calculate the climb rate.
It looked underpowered. The natural tendency is to pull into a stall. Happened to me. Very hard to force your hand to push the stick forward. A pilot with no experience in marginal powered aircraft has a problem. 11,000 hours in turbine military aircraft may not help in an underpowered aircraft.
It was reported to be the third and final flight before retirement. That implies a known problem. But I haven't read anything about the first two flights climb performance.

Turd Ferguson

It looked underpowered. The natural tendency is to pull into a stall. Happened to me. Very hard to force your hand to push the stick forward. A pilot with no experience in marginal powered aircraft has a problem. 11,000 hours in turbine military aircraft may not help in an underpowered aircraft.
It was reported to be the third and final flight before retirement. That implies a known problem. But I haven't read anything about the first two flights climb performance.
Wow - for a speculative summary, that's hauntingly close. Obviously it was not underpowered but (at least) on the accident flight had a moment where there was inadequate thrust required to overcome drag and maintain altitude. The human factor comment of being unable to recognize and/or react to decaying airspeed (within the given time frame) is spot on. Pushing the nose over and landing off airport at 75 knots would take a lot of discipline but could have made a huge difference in survivability.

RJW

The report is very subjective with a lot of speculation. The writer does not seem to be expert in many of the areas on which he comments. Don’t mean to be insensitive but it’s not a very useful document.

Rob

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

I didn't understand the tox report finding ethanol in the body and the short discussion on whether this occurred post-mortem or not. Anyone here with a medical background who could explain that?