Budget built MiniMax 1100 Ultralight

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Mar 10, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 12, 2018 #581

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Tool handle, about 1-18" ?

Just make sure the wood isn't tapered. It need to be a straight shaft.

2. Jul 12, 2018 #582

JIC

JIC

JIC

Thanks Scapper, I make some up from a wooden dowel, they worked great.

3. Jul 20, 2018 #583

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Scraps. I'd be interested in knowing the weight of various sub assemblies. Tail, fuse, wings. Have a cheap luggage scale?

4. Jul 31, 2018 #584

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'm really upset with the lack of progress I've made on this project. I really believed I would have the fuselage together by the end of this month. I'm re-evaluating my plan of attack and today penciling out how I can get this flying and to Airventure 2019. At 300 hours that's 6 hours a week. I'm considering a few options such as taking a few days off each month or eliminating other things in my life that's preventing progress.

This is home building, this is the challenge. It's not ability, money, or anything other excuse, it's a matter of focus.

This will be covered in the next video.

Streffpilot likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2018 #585

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

If you want inspiration, I recommend the series Mike Patey put up on YouTube reconfiguring his Wilga into Draco. Sure he's working a much larger budget but the shear amount of work that he did largely alone is very impressive. And he did it while being responsible to his businesses. The man is a machine, long hours, late nights, early mornings.

Bill

6. Jul 31, 2018 #586

TFF

TFF

TFF

Everybody had ups and downs getting big projects done. It is when the downs turn into quits, that is the problem. When the thoughts about the whole project take over instead of tasks at hand, it starts feeling like a race. The people who finish planes don't race; they trod steadily. Energized and having fun is completely different feelings; don't confuse them. Completing, tasks until there are no tasks, is how you finish, not building wings, tail or fuselage.

cdlwingnut and Pops like this.
  7. Jul 31, 2018 #587

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Scrapper. Slow times happen. Mine will get no progress for a week or more then life slows down and bang the plane has a huge growth spurt. Other times you work for hours on small stuff like brackets and such. You made progress but it isnt as visible as say a fuselage side coming out of a jig. Like i said keep plugging away and soon you will think this could look like an airplane. Little longer and hey it does look like an airplane. Some more and holy crap i might have to actually fly this thing.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2018 #588

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'm not emotionally upset, I'm just not happy with how I've used my time. More about numbers than anything else. It's true that I'm a very busy person but I still haven't made this a priority like I could have.

I'm gonna change that though. Things are looking good going forward.

cdlwingnut and Topaz like this.
  9. Aug 1, 2018 #589

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

"I'm just not happy with how I've used my time"

Then how you used your time, and whatever clever tricks or techniques you create to make better use of that time, ALSO belong in the video series and blog, because they will provide every bit as much benefit to the audience you are inspiring.

By figuring out how to build more efficiently, and sharing that with others, you are improving and empowering their "budget" just as much as saving hard dollars. Most of the people who will be following in your footsteps are also average working guys, and time is money to them just like it is to you.

So if your experience and guidance saves someone a couple of hours of wasted time, that is equivalent to their being able to work a couple of extra paid hours... and perhaps afford more spruce and plywood. Or use real AN airplane bolts instead of Home Creep-O bolts to hold their wing struts in place.

Point being, your ability to help them save time or prevent waste is as important as helping them save money.

10. Oct 14, 2018 #590

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Hey LS, how is it going? I'm just starting to get back to my project after a few months of being crazy busy.

11. Oct 14, 2018 #591

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think he stated in another thread, he us not back till Christmas. Turning waited time in the internet into building time.

12. Oct 15, 2018 #592

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Yes, I believe Little Scrapper took a "time out".

I truly do hope that he continues with his Mini-Max build and his video blog about building a low-cost flying machine. As has been discussed on this thread by me and many others, it will serve as a tremendous service to the homebuilt community and potential "Wannabee" homebuilders.

13. Oct 17, 2018 #593

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Ahhhhh.....I must have missed that post......I wish him the best!

14. Jan 13, 2019 #594

trifoils

trifoils

trifoils

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I don't think multitasking works well with physical tasks.

What you finish is far more important than what you start.

If you choose small milestones to reach before starting something else, the completion of them will add wind to your sails.

Nothing kills motivation faster than having to redo something or having worked for years with little to show for it.

So if it's time to finish the minimax wing fuselage interface then your oddz of success are higher if everything else is cleared out of the way, until you're finished.

I see this all the time in aerospace manufacturing and my own (far too numerous) projects. Give yourself credit for your effort, and focus on finishing something.