Budget built MiniMax 1100 Ultralight

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

Scraps. I'd be interested in knowing the weight of various sub assemblies. Tail, fuse, wings. Have a cheap luggage scale?

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm really upset with the lack of progress I've made on this project. I really believed I would have the fuselage together by the end of this month. I'm re-evaluating my plan of attack and today penciling out how I can get this flying and to Airventure 2019. At 300 hours that's 6 hours a week. I'm considering a few options such as taking a few days off each month or eliminating other things in my life that's preventing progress.

This is home building, this is the challenge. It's not ability, money, or anything other excuse, it's a matter of focus.

This will be covered in the next video.

billyvray

If you want inspiration, I recommend the series Mike Patey put up on YouTube reconfiguring his Wilga into Draco. Sure he's working a much larger budget but the shear amount of work that he did largely alone is very impressive. And he did it while being responsible to his businesses. The man is a machine, long hours, late nights, early mornings.

Bill

TFF

Everybody had ups and downs getting big projects done. It is when the downs turn into quits, that is the problem. When the thoughts about the whole project take over instead of tasks at hand, it starts feeling like a race. The people who finish planes don't race; they trod steadily. Energized and having fun is completely different feelings; don't confuse them. Completing, tasks until there are no tasks, is how you finish, not building wings, tail or fuselage.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper. Slow times happen. Mine will get no progress for a week or more then life slows down and bang the plane has a huge growth spurt. Other times you work for hours on small stuff like brackets and such. You made progress but it isnt as visible as say a fuselage side coming out of a jig. Like i said keep plugging away and soon you will think this could look like an airplane. Little longer and hey it does look like an airplane. Some more and holy crap i might have to actually fly this thing.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm not emotionally upset, I'm just not happy with how I've used my time. More about numbers than anything else. It's true that I'm a very busy person but I still haven't made this a priority like I could have.

I'm gonna change that though. Things are looking good going forward.

Victor Bravo

"I'm just not happy with how I've used my time"

Then how you used your time, and whatever clever tricks or techniques you create to make better use of that time, ALSO belong in the video series and blog, because they will provide every bit as much benefit to the audience you are inspiring.

By figuring out how to build more efficiently, and sharing that with others, you are improving and empowering their "budget" just as much as saving hard dollars. Most of the people who will be following in your footsteps are also average working guys, and time is money to them just like it is to you.

So if your experience and guidance saves someone a couple of hours of wasted time, that is equivalent to their being able to work a couple of extra paid hours... and perhaps afford more spruce and plywood. Or use real AN airplane bolts instead of Home Creep-O bolts to hold their wing struts in place.

Point being, your ability to help them save time or prevent waste is as important as helping them save money.

TFF

I think he stated in another thread, he us not back till Christmas. Turning waited time in the internet into building time.

Victor Bravo

Yes, I believe Little Scrapper took a "time out".

I truly do hope that he continues with his Mini-Max build and his video blog about building a low-cost flying machine. As has been discussed on this thread by me and many others, it will serve as a tremendous service to the homebuilt community and potential "Wannabee" homebuilders.

trifoils

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I don't think multitasking works well with physical tasks.

What you finish is far more important than what you start.

If you choose small milestones to reach before starting something else, the completion of them will add wind to your sails.

Nothing kills motivation faster than having to redo something or having worked for years with little to show for it.

So if it's time to finish the minimax wing fuselage interface then your oddz of success are higher if everything else is cleared out of the way, until you're finished.

I see this all the time in aerospace manufacturing and my own (far too numerous) projects. Give yourself credit for your effort, and focus on finishing something.

toliver66

I can't get your video links to work. The link in the post is dead and a search on youtube return "Ariana Grande??" video.

Jeff Higgins

There any updates on this build, as I'm going to get started on my probably tomorrow. I was able to pick up the majority of the pine I need for the fuselage today. Menards actually has a good supply of it. I was able to pick through and get what met the standards for AC wood. I spent $80 and already have my engine ($200). I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible like the ultralight community originally intended.

Victor Bravo

Go get 'em Jeff ! Maybe read up on Scrapper's blog or contact him directly, he's a great guy. He also probably has very good information on certain aspects of his project, and his stuff will give you a good start.

lake_harley

Good luck with the scratch build Jeff! I did the same a few years ago sourcing the Northern White pine from a local lumber yard, rebuilding the 277 Rotax myself, etc.. The satisfaction was well worth the time it took to complete the plane when it was all done. When it actually flew was kinda cool too!

If you aren't already signed up on the East Tennessee Lonesome Buzzard website that is all about MiniMAX planes, I'd suggest you check it out in addition to this website. There are MANY experienced MiniMAX builders and owners on the ETLB ready to help out if you get stuck on something or just need a bit of encouragement.

Happy building!

Lynn

rotax618

I have built a dozen flying machines, and have always thought that the closest analogy is eating an elephant, if you are ever to finish, you must take at least one bite every day.