Quantcast

Budget built MiniMax 1100 Ultralight

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Classy move Scrapper. Very classy. I just texted Coop and his is very grateful for your support. I emailed him the build link and I'm sure he will enjoy reading it. I'm not sure that he'll join in mind you - he is literally up to his ears with the two place. On that note he said I could post pictures of it.

** I don't want to spoil Scrap's thread so if you have questions about the below please PM me, or I'll start a separate thread if I get too many PM's **

It's called the Epic and will weigh in at 1,250 gross and he's hoping it will be 650 empty, with an 85 HP VW engine - so around 600 pounds of useful load if people don't over-do it. It is 605 pounds as it sits in these pictures. It's designed to the "Pop's" paradigm of light weight and flown true VFR just like it's smaller brethren. Right now the entire kit is priced at $18,500 and you get EVERYTHING you need to finish it except paint. So that includes the 85 HP engine, instruments, fabric, wood, fittings, wheels, tanks - everything. Now you know why people love Team MiniMax.

** Now back to the real thread **

View attachment 72603View attachment 72604 View attachment 72605
I like it. Saying 85 HP, the only ready built 85 HP VW engine that I know of is the Revmaster and if I was going to buy a ready built VW type engine, it would be the Revmaster.

I went to the web site and there is a good picture of it and it looks like a little wide Cessna L-19 to me. Looks good.

narfi

Log Member
I like it. Saying 85 HP, the only ready built 85 HP VW engine that I know of is the Revmaster
On the web page for the Epic Sport they list it as a 85hp Hummel engine.

Kit includes all material to build the EpicSport:

Fuselage (Raw Stock build) Expected availability May 2015,
Wings (Laser Cut Plywood)
Empennage (Laser Cut plywood)
Machined Hardware,
Landing Gear (nose Wheel or Tail Wheel options)
Full instruments panel, hydraulic disk brakes,
85 HP Hummel Engine with Electric start, Dual Ignition.
Propeller

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
On the web page for the Epic Sport they list it as a 85hp Hummel engine.
Scott also makes a good engine. I used to go to all the Hummel Bird fly-ins when he was located in Ohio. Haven't looked at his site for a long time, didn't know he had a 85 HP engine.

billyvray

No kidding. I have said it before and I'll say it again - I wish Pops would do his own log of his many projects - hanger, solar system, VW's, airplanes (Jodel, SSSC, etc) - the man is a do-er! Thanks, Pops!

Bill

Is there ever anything Pops adds that does not add value to these discussions?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don't watch TV. Work on your project 6 days a week even if just for 15 minutes instead of watching TV, instead watch one of Scrapper's videos, better than waiting all week to do something and the time you had planned just got taken up by something else.
Everyone here that would like to build a Mini-Max, hold your hands up. (If you don't you are missing a fun build and a great fun airplane, why do you think they are so popular ?)

Everyone with your hands up just follow Scrapper along on his build by the videos and do the same thing and get it done before the next video. You will have fun and before long you will have a fun little airplane to fly and will look back and be glad you did it.
Wish I could have had that kind of help on my first build. Just jump in and do it.

Waiting for the next video.
Dan

Streffpilot

Everyone here that would like to build a Mini-Max, hold your hands up. (If you don't you are missing a fun build and a great fun airplane, why do you think they are so popular ?) Just jump in and do it.

Dan
Glad to say that I am.

I need to better heed the advice of doing a little bit every day. I know that that is the reason I am taking longer than I would like on my project.

TFF

The biggest takeaway of these videos is enjoy the building. Scrapper is enjoying the fitting of the joints. Thats important. It is not about flying the airplane at this stage. Its such a killer of projects to try and force it being done. Get it over. syndrome. There is a goal to fly the airplane, that is way out there. The focus is on the now, and having fun now. That is why all the joints looks so good. Same with his other projects.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The biggest takeaway of these videos is enjoy the building. Scrapper is enjoying the fitting of the joints. Thats important. It is not about flying the airplane at this stage. Its such a killer of projects to try and force it being done. Get it over. syndrome. There is a goal to fly the airplane, that is way out there. The focus is on the now, and having fun now. That is why all the joints looks so good. Same with his other projects.
Very true. When building stops being fun and more like a chore, stop, your workmanship just hit the bottom.

don january

Log Member
Very true. When building stops being fun and more like a chore, stop, your workmanship just hit the bottom.
Dan I want to take your comment a little further. You say like a chore,stop, getting to hit bottom. I think the builder who is following Scrapper's build and "Doing" a build should analyze what is it that's putting the brake's on. Is it a metal fitting ? is it weight and balance ? Is it a self confidence issue ? Witch many times it is. I can just about guaranty that Scrapper and any builder such as myself hit's a wall and that's the point where a deep breath and a good old spin around the airport at altitude will help in motivation or even a good movie about flying can get your head back on track. How many of you fella's have worked on something and ran into a snag and walked away later to come back and have it fall together licked y split ? Self confidence is so important. IMO Don J

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dan I want to take your comment a little further. You say like a chore,stop, getting to hit bottom. I think the builder who is following Scrapper's build and "Doing" a build should analyze what is it that's putting the brake's on. Is it a metal fitting ? is it weight and balance ? Is it a self confidence issue ? Witch many times it is. I can just about guaranty that Scrapper and any builder such as myself hit's a wall and that's the point where a deep breath and a good old spin around the airport at altitude will help in motivation or even a good movie about flying can get your head back on track. How many of you fella's have worked on something and ran into a snag and walked away later to come back and have it fall together licked y split ? Self confidence is so important. IMO Don J
Very true. So many times I have ran into something that was giving me problems and just walked away from it and latter came back and everything fell into place, and many times I have woke up in the middle of the night with the answer I was looking for.

don january

Log Member
Little Scrapper. I was thinking on your glue period and was hoping you are going to put some type of saran wrap or clear plastic like window shrink film in the areas you are gluing behind the wood. I can see the Fuselage side's and ribs getting stuck to the vertical table. I'm sure your way ahead of me on this but had to say something.;)

Aerowerx

...put some type of saran wrap or clear plastic like window shrink film in the areas you are gluing behind the wood. I can see the Fuselage side's and ribs getting stuck to the vertical table....
Go to an office supply store and get a pack of 3 or 4 inch wide clear plastic packaging tape. Epoxy wont stick to it at all. And you can run it out in strips where you want it instead of everywhere.

"Everyone" says to use wax paper but what i have found is that epoxy will stick to it but not bond. It can also move on you. The advantage of the tape is that it will stay where you put it.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The reason there's no tape behind the joints is because the individual pieces need to come off so I can use them as templates for side 2 to mark the rough material stock.

I think I'll use packing tape just because I have in on hand.

HJC.Pepper

Pure inspiration little scrapper. Read the whole thread this morning. Best read ever...

Aitch :ban:

Fred in Wisc

Cheap duct tape with the kinda glossy backing works well as a release also. I often end up using that just because I've got it on hand.