Budget built MiniMax 1100 Ultralight

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Mar 10, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 5, 2018 #541

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That's interesting. I never thought of that before.

2. Jul 5, 2018 #542

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

On Airbum.com Budd Davisson has a pilot report on an Emeraude where he spends a paragraph talking about how smooth and quiet it is to fly. The plane had air conditioning too!

Pops and Little Scrapper like this.
  3. Jul 5, 2018 #543

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

While we are on the subject of aircraft wood work here are a few places to find more info. Elmer Bruhn's books from prior to the 1950's had a chapter on wood. Drake's Aircraft Mechanic series had a volume on aircraft wood working. You can find this on Amazon. The Experimental Soaring Assoc. (ESA) has pdf's of old issues with a lot of wood info from such people as Don Mitchell of Mitchell Wing fame as well as others. Tony Bingelis has a number of Sportplane Builder columns about wood and glues. Sport Aviation has numerous articles in their archives on line. Info on how to build an airplane without expensive spruce is out there. When you are done Scrapper you and Pops can tell us how $5000 is too much to pay to build an airplane!

4. Jul 5, 2018 #544

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I have no idea what this will cost. It's my first experience with wood.

5. Jul 5, 2018 #545

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

+1 on that! My cousin bought a Challenger and the thing actually resonated in the cockpit. OTOH, my Max just, well it was just solid. I miss it. It's always good to find other wood addicts. I suspect some of us actually get a high from the smell of freshly sawn wood :)

Twodeaddogs likes this.
  6. Jul 5, 2018 #546

Pops

Pops

Pops

Loved my all wood Falconar F-12. I found large sheets of a sound deadener about 3/8" thick at OSH flea market that I used to lined the cockpit under the upholstery. Very warn in the winter with the cabin heat, very quiet and smooth, more like flying a light twin, but almost handled as good as a RV-4 after I put gap seals on all the control surfaces. Big mistake in selling it and it got ground looped and destroyed by a new owner.
    One problem with being quiet and smooth, easy to let the speed get close to red line without knowing. I had air tight seals on the gull wing doors, made like I always use on my RC airplanes between the fuselage and wings, made from silicon rubber. Covered one surface with wax paper, put a spacer of a very small pieces of wood the thickness you want the seal and cover with caulking gun of silicon rubber and close door and let dry. Open door and use a sharp blade and trim the sides of the silicon straight. Use wax paper and a little silicon to fill the gap from removing the wood spacers. Air tight door seals for a wood airplane.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    mcrae0104 likes this.
  7. Jul 5, 2018 #547

narfi

narfi

narfi

I downloaded the himax plans last week before they stopped supplying them free. The total spruce and plywood if purchased from aircraft spruce is less than $3k.

I never got around to finishing pricing out the aluminum, steel, hardware, wheels and brakes, windshields, fabric system, etc......
    Said and done I dont think the total would be much cheaper than buying the kit. However, the wood portion is not that expensive even when buying all directly to size from aircraft spruce.

8. Jul 5, 2018 #548

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

I have been to the MiniMax factory twice in the last month or so (and have been going there on and off for 4 years) - once to conduct a business discussion for a friend and most recently for the local EAA Chapter pancake breakfast. It's a fun jaunt in the Zenith Cruzer. Dave Cooper, who is Minimax USA, is an incredibly nice guy and has single handedly kept that business alive in recent years and he is doing it for the love of the game, NOT money. He also does everything himself with the exception of a part time secretary to help with paperwork. He is almost done with a wood two seat that is really quite something and will be for sale soon. That is Scrap's second build thread!

I don't want to derail Scrap's thread but if you consider the $99 plans as free tech support for life (which is what you are getting in reality, plus the plans) it's a heck of a deal plus you get to build and fly a really inexpensive and good little airplane! I don't have any insight into Dave's decision on removing the free plan downloads but I would think the time sink of providing free support is a huge burden and he needs to make money to keep the doors open and himself whole. I have no idea how he funded the development and build of the two seater - the man is amazing. I can't wait to see a MiniMax with an 0100 Pegasus on it. Dave knows about the engine and is waiting for it to pop up.

Topaz likes this.
  9. Jul 5, 2018 #549

JIC

JIC

JIC

10. Jul 5, 2018 #550

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Wow that is a bargain!!!!

11. Jul 5, 2018 #551

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

That's a very good deal. This thread has become quite interesting.

12. Jul 5, 2018 #552

Pops

Pops

Pops

Friend of mine has built 4 Mini-Max's. I think this was #3. Legal weight, flew for a long time with a 1/2 VW, now a Cont Teledyne GPU. Showing the Hummbel Bird canopy on a MM. Cruises about 5 mph faster. IF I was building a MM I would use this canopy. Kevin put a thousand hours on a 1/2 VW in a MM. Kevin and an old friend of mine that was a WW-2 fighter pilot flew their MM's in a formation routine at local airshows for several years. I live about 50 miles north of this field and Kevin always gets a free fill-up on his 5 gal fuel tank when he flying up , usually takes about 1.6/1.7 gals, I'm a big spender :)
    Sorry to say, they lost this field a while back when the owner died.
    Was a newspaper article about Kevin flying the MM with a 1/2 VW around the border of WV, in 2 days. Some rough country to fly over .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0hdymXfOg

Little Scrapper and Streffpilot like this.
  13. Jul 5, 2018 #553

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Nice mm and nice video!! Thanks

14. Jul 5, 2018 #554

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I sent a check and this letter to Team Mini Max today.

I started the tread to prove aviation was still affordable for average people with a small space and basic affordable tools. Now that the plans are no longer free I felt I needed to adjust accordingly. $99 is still cheap and this airplane is still the best option regardless.

IMG_20180705_100936470~3.jpg

IMG_20180705_120413172~2.jpg

15. Jul 5, 2018 #555

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Since you are uncomfortable with compliments I will withhold comments...LOL

akwrencher and BJC like this.
  16. Jul 5, 2018 #556

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Think how awkward it is to have a thread on affordable building when I didn't pay for plans. I need to look long term, big picture.

This is now part of my true cost and I'm now up to date.

akwrencher likes this.
  17. Jul 5, 2018 #557

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

Classy move Scrapper. Very classy. I just texted Coop and his is very grateful for your support. I emailed him the build link and I'm sure he will enjoy reading it. I'm not sure that he'll join in mind you - he is literally up to his ears with the two place. On that note he said I could post pictures of it.

** I don't want to spoil Scrap's thread so if you have questions about the below please PM me, or I'll start a separate thread if I get too many PM's **

It's called the Epic and will weigh in at 1,250 gross and he's hoping it will be 650 empty, with an 85 HP VW engine - so around 600 pounds of useful load if people don't over-do it. It is 605 pounds as it sits in these pictures. It's designed to the "Pop's" paradigm of light weight and flown true VFR just like it's smaller brethren. Right now the entire kit is priced at $18,500 and you get EVERYTHING you need to finish it except paint. So that includes the 85 HP engine, instruments, fabric, wood, fittings, wheels, tanks - everything. Now you know why people love Team MiniMax.

** Now back to the real thread **

IMG_0503.jpg IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0504.jpg

fly2kads, flyinut, Pops and 2 others like this.
  18. Jul 5, 2018 #558

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I have no problem with anyone posting here as long as it is MiniMax airplanes and MiniMax building.

Or.........other wood airplanes as long as it's related to wood construction and adds to the discussion value. Example, Pops wood airplane and how he built it can definitely be discussed here. That would add value.

Streffpilot likes this.
  19. Jul 5, 2018 #559

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Please start a new thread when/if you're allowed to post more information. If it's possible to have the owner join and fill us in himself, that would be awesome. He may not be ready to reveal more, and that's totally okay, but this is an exciting development in the lower-end of the price spectrum. If he can run a positive margin on that kit price, I suspect he's going to garner a lot of interest. I know my ears pricked up the moment I saw your post, and I'm sure I won't be alone.

Wayne and rbrochey like this.
  20. Jul 5, 2018 #560

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

The builder is David Cooper, owner of TEAM. He has posted some threads on the Lonesome Buzzards site: http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1523413659/

Topaz likes this.