Budget built MiniMax 1100 Ultralight

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Mar 10, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 19, 2018 #341

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Good morning, Gyrojeffro. Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. The guys here are great.

I'm familiar with your project, looks like you're having a blast. I frequent the site as well as my 13 year old son, Henry and my youngest son Oliver. He's 7. They really enjoy the build photos.

The Lonsome Buzzards forum looks like fun and we've pretty much read through all the cool build threads and looking forward to watching your project come together. Ironically, my favorite HiMax has always been George's blue and white one. It's perfect to me, it's absolutely a beautiful version of the breed and rather inspiring. You can imagine why I was so let down by his comments because let's face it, they were completely ridiculous.

Prior to George stabbing myself and my friends in the back for doing nothing but trying to enjoy aviation I mentioned a few times on this thread that I'm sort of a 1 forum kind a guy as far as participation. I read the EAA forum but don't participate. I read the Lonesome Buzzard forum but don't participate. Both are great forums full of great people. I just don't participate.

I know you're trying to do the right thing by saying George would be a great guy to have a beer with, you're very respectful on that forum so the only issue was George and his multiple comments that never seem to end.

While I can deal with people cutting me down I have a hard time when I see friends get cut down. Topaz and Dana I consider friends and they didn't deserve the thrashing like that. That was over the top but again, I get the anger part, after all, George was banned from this forum because he couldn't conduct himself properly. The only way to really get banned here is if you are personally attacking people and they give you multiple warnings and even reach out and try to solve this before banning. It's really hard to get banned here, it's rare it even happens so when it does you really must have misbehaved multiple times and rather viscously.

Besides Dana and Topaz I'm friends with a lot of others here who for many reasons can't build quite yet. Life is Life. I hugged a 7 year old girl a few months ago because she was dying of cancer. I said goodbye to her, a customers daughter. This stuff exists everywhere including here so calling out people for not building is absolutely horrible knowing that many of my friends are dealing with very serious life altering problems with issues like cancer no different than that 7 year old girl. These are good quality people, the kind I'd like to have a beer with. They don't hurt others, instead they come here to be part of aviation any way they can even if it's only to talk about.

So hopefully you understand that I'd rather skip the beer with George and focus on people who contribute positively. We are all on the same team, this isn't a competition. We need everyone on the same page so we can grow aviation together and bring in new people.

I'm sure George can be nice, most people can. It sucks my son Henry had to read those hateful comments knowing what my son and family have been through. He made a smart azz comment about me welding a few tubes together knowing full well I have a complete Cassutt fuselage in my shop. And a obvious build thread to see it. He knew that and decided to twist the conversation in his favor. I have over a hundred YouTube videos showing people things like building a Legal Eagle fuselage from start to finish for no other reason than to just get people in to aviation. I'm currently finish welding a friend's Hatz who's 82 years old, cancer survivor, and a ailing wife. George wouldn't know that because he didn't ask.

Then he starts in to cutting my friends down. Then he said he was concerned about people reading this thread and getting confused as if he actually cares about other people? That's a cop out. I have a build thread with videos in step by step order just for this MiniMax airplane not to mention we are all here having fun and George knows that. So we go from bashing me for trying to help people afford aviation, to bashing friends for trying to help aviation, to bashing this thread for trying to help aviation. See the trend? The continual hatred is unreal. And for what? What good could possibly come from this? You are a good man, I can see it in your writing on the other forum but I cannot excuse George. If I did that it would be like slapping my friends in the face.

What he should do is apologize to my son for trying to tear his dad apart........who George doesn't know from Adam. But it's ok, I explained to my son why people do this. He gets it.

George has motivated me to make the greatest video series on building a affordable ultralight ever put on YouTube and my family gets to enjoy the fun as well. Unfortunately for George I have banned/blocked him from participating in any of my videos. Which is sad, imagine how much he could contribute if he wanted to do the right thing for the right reasons.

Hopefully you understand my position. With that said let's move forward and have fun.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Apr 19, 2018 #342

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

This forum, homebuiltairplanes.com, is for people who are interested in homebuilt airplanes, whether they are building one or not. I owned at least one HBA long before I actually started doing any building (or re-building in my case).

If some guy who was interested in, or thinking about building a MiniMax went over to the ETLB forum and started discussing his interest in a MiniMax... would they run him out of town or disrespect him half to death because he wasn't building one yet?

In the movie and TV business, the actors are the ones on stage or on camera. The directors and producers and writers and accountants and everyone else are behind the scenes. There would be no films or TV without these people,a nd that's why they get the same on-screen credits as the actors do.

So if Dana or Topaz or Jake or Midniteoyl or Autoreply are not actually building an airplane at any given moment, they are every bit as important here as the directors and producers on a TV show. HBA would not exist without them.

You know, one of the worst days in my life was the day I realized that aviation has the same kind of idiots, criminals, drug addicts, hate-mongers, and intellectually challenged folks as the rest of the world. I had thought we were all way above that, but unfortunately it's not the case. We have less of it for sure, but it's still there to one degree or another. We're all the idiot of the day in aviation sooner or later. I've done it and every other experiencved pilot I know has done it. This is George's day.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  3. Apr 19, 2018 #343

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

VB. I could not be a forum mod, I'm thankful people are willing to do it so I don't have to.

I requested a sign up to the ETLB forum. Somehow someone seems to think I said or implied this was easy? I've said multiple times it is not only easy but so difficult I may not be able to do it. I'm not sure how people come up with this. So I'll go and set the record straight on my intentions then get back to work I guess.

4. Apr 21, 2018 #344

Gyrojeffro

Gyrojeffro

Gyrojeffro

I am not a religious person even thought I was raised by a religious family. If it was meant to happen it will happen. Full set of max ribs and I got a lead on a used rotax 277.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 21, 2018 #345

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Not sure I understand the religious comment but I like your ribs. Hopefully you can get that 277 for a good deal. They must have really made a lot of those 277's based on what I'm reading.

6. Apr 26, 2018 #346

CameronB

CameronB

CameronB

I posted for the first time on the ETLB forum today, it took a while for them to get me signed up. Hoping they can help with a few questions that I have that are TEAM specific .

I really need to get busy on my wings soon, looking forward to you documenting the build!

bmcj and Streffpilot like this.
  7. Apr 27, 2018 #347

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Working on video 5 right this moment.

8. Apr 27, 2018 #348

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

What wheels does a 103 minimax use, and what do they weigh? The plans tell me "#18011" but google is failing me.

9. Apr 27, 2018 #349

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

I used 6" Azusalite reinforced "plastic" wheels, as have many others.

Lynn

10. Apr 27, 2018 #350

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'd like to use 4.00/4.80-8 wheelbarrow size on my 103, but having trouble finding plastic wheels here. Weight would be around 5lb per wheel/tyre/tube.

11. Apr 27, 2018 #351

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

12. Apr 27, 2018 #352

TFF

TFF

TFF

Those small wheels will be ok off pavement, but even a grass airport will probably put the thing on its nose if you find a divot.

13. Apr 27, 2018 #353

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Azusa plastic only go up to 6". Wheelbarrow wheels and tires are 2 inches bigger, but 8" plastic wheels don't seem to be available in the US. Maybe this is my chance to make a few pennies? I've used plastic 8" wheels in the UK, they're light and will be fine with ball bearings. The plastic bearing ones may or may not. Over wheelbarrow size, tyres get heavy fast unless you go to 20" BMX, which are skinny by comparison and would likely need sprung gear.

CobraCar11 likes this.
  14. Apr 27, 2018 #354

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

What does a Quicksilver MX use? They pretty much are always in the grass although a nose wheeler.

I think those are Azuza

15. Apr 27, 2018 #355

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

There's gotta be a good fat wheel that's light and wide and can handle the weight.
    View attachment 71017

16. Apr 27, 2018 #356

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Link not working to that attachment 71017, Scrapper

Little Scrapper likes this.
  17. Apr 27, 2018 #357

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Try this again.
    Screenshot_20180427-115751~2.jpg

Twodeaddogs likes this.
  18. Apr 27, 2018 #358

CameronB

CameronB

CameronB

I mentioned to our eaa group it was time for me to source some wheels and brakes for my project and someone gave me a worn out set of 600-6 on go cart wheels for free, I just bought a set of go cart front hubs. 2061DDBD-44FA-41BF-8E66-ED0B392D517F.jpg

CobraCar11 likes this.
  19. Apr 28, 2018 #359

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Hmmm, goodyear catalogue has several options for those, 9lb or a little under, new, for just the tyres. Should be a few lb lighter now and probably still have a thousand ultralight landings left in them.

After looking through some tyre catalogues, I still like the 4.00/4.80-8 wheelbarrow tyre option. Around 5lb with tube and plastic wheel. The 6" version is easy to find plastic wheels for, but smaller and not much lighter.

carlisle

SIZE PRODUCT CODE PLY DIAMETER† WIDTH† RIM WIDTH MAX LOAD @ 10 MPH MAX PSI TIRE WEIGHT
    4.00-6 5134371 2 13.7 4.0 2.50 330 30 2.3
    4.80-8 5134511 2 15.8 3.8 2.50 550 30 2.8
    4.80-8 5130511 4 16.5 4.6 3.75 765 70 4.1

20. Apr 28, 2018 #360

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

Had lunch with Dave Cooper from TEAM Minimax yesterday at the "Home Plate" in Niles, MI. Such a nice guy and he has really done a great job re-energizing the company and product line. He has expanded his operation and is really close to completion on his two seat plane. It looks like a large Hi-Max with gull doors and is really roomy. Nice and simple, and extremely cost effective.

Scrappy - I told him about your project and he was impressed and chuckled, then he tells me a story of some guy who built a Minimax and it cost him nothing - he scrounged and what stuff he did have to buy he paid for with Aluminum cans that he had collected and turned in for the deposit !!

I saw a post or two with tech support questions from other builders - I'd encourage you to call Dave even if you downloaded the free plans. He is more than happy to help and if you do end up needing a part you can't make then please feel free to buy it from him to keep the operation flourishing.