Budget built MiniMax 1100 Ultralight

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Mar 10, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 17, 2018 #321

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I don't have a fence, or an indoor space, or an indoor wall. I could take some vinyl siding off and use the side of the house, but the whole thing would be outside until I have, well, inside. Ultralight pieces take quite a bit of space.
    This is why I'm playing with spreadsheets and the odd political sign is destroyed in interesting ways in the kitchen.

2. Apr 17, 2018 #322

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Hey, Scrapper, Do you plan on making pt 103 wt? I'm just curious. Mine most def will not be pt 103 with a full vw.....

3. Apr 17, 2018 #323

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Yes! The goal is to show people affordability so that means everything from airplane to training to flying to maintenance etc.

Streffpilot likes this.
  4. Apr 17, 2018 #324

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Sounds good! was just curious.

Headed down to Wag Aero on Friday to get some supplies for mine. You'll beat me to completion I'm sure.....

5. Apr 18, 2018 #325

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Don't fall into the trap of labeling everyone on that list by the actions of one individual.

6. Apr 18, 2018 #326

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

While this is true.....it really can be a pain in the back side to get a strait answer over there......Here too on occasion.

However, I have found that BOTH sites contain those builders with EXTREMELY valuable information. I even had one gracious builder here mail me a package at his own expense of some AN hardware, as soon as I started my build.

Like one of my teachers in school told us, when requesting outside opinions, learn to eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  7. Apr 18, 2018 #327

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I was not labeling everyone from one guy's post... but I was saying that everyone over there (as a group) may be missing something important. They may need to self-police over there like we do over here. At the very least they should stop for a minute and realize that their preferred type of aircraft will be getting a lot of positive publicity out of the video and blog, and perhaps thay should address that as a group.

If someone makes a post or series of posts on HBA that genuinely represented a risk to the credibility of the entire group, or cast the homebuilt aircraft movement in a really bad light, there would be consequences here. First, several HBA participants would make polite or perhaps strong comments and chastise the OP to some level. Other HBA'ers would chime in and remind the world (and the victim of the offensive post) that the OP does not represent the opinions of the group at large, or that they personally do not agree with the OP, etc. Then, the forum moderators would make a decision on whether the OP's post or the OP personally is being offensive to the level of requiring a warning, or suspension, or permanent ban.

The point is that I believe the HBA community would make it crystal clear that it does not endorse or agree with (offending post or participant) even though that person has every right to express their opinion, etc. I've been banned or asked to leave one or two aviation related forums, and I didn't agree with the most of the reasons behind those rejections, so I can see this from both sides.

8. Apr 18, 2018 #328

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

At the end of the day most things are pretty simple I suppose.

One guy, George, who was banned from here, decided to go on a rant about "other people" then put himself on a pedestal by comparing "himself" to the others. Nobody ask him to do this yet he cleverly turned it in to a situation where "others" are crap and "I am" better. This is a illness.

I'm not a psychologist but holy smokes do you have to have a corrupt soul to do this. We should probably pray for him I guess. This is something a juvenile with extremely low self esteem would do. Bully.

I did get a little upset because he fired a rocket right at me and tore me apart by the only thing he could come up with, post count vs airplane ratio. That's rather psychotic considering he doesn't know me at all. So why? Why would someone do this? There's always a reason and it has nothing to do with that forum. The fact is simple, this George guy has personal issues. A normal person with his soul in tact would simply take the videos and say "hey, here's a guy trying to help others and have a fun family project". Instead he turned it in to a bizarre situation of hate and then ends it with "look at me, look at me".

In the time of all my posts here I've dealt with deaths, cancer, heart issues, child issues, growing a business at the same time and literally doubling sales making me the number 1 service plumber in my market by working hard, being nice, and helping everyone I can. So yeah, I was a little upset until I realized his soul is rotten. I do not care what a individual has built in his garage if that person is rotten.

This George fella does not represent that forum. While he certainly is a member he does not represent the forum. If you take George out of the picture the rest of the posts over at LB are very positive, fun, encouraging and supportive. I have read through a ton of posts here and there and he is a sick individual. My opinion, I don't care what others think, it's just obvious. He lives in his own little man made version of hell.

I read a post where he was naming and picking on Topaz and Dana, literally tried to rip them apart. Keep in mind he was banned here......so look at the obvious. Once again, hatred. Hatred for others. Good Lord, pray for that guy because he is sick.

I stick up for Dana and Topaz for the simple reason that they are decent individuals. If George wants to desperately be a moderator the first qualification is to eliminate hatred from within.

I'm sure there's gonna be backlash from this post, whatever, George went out of his way to trash people then go on to tell everyone what he's accomplished. Seriously, that's a mental disorder because we are all on the seat side.

Let's drop this now. We have work to do. My project will be epic and I plan on helping a lot of people. He can't stop that from happening. Sick people have very very bad endings. Pray he gets help. That's all I have to say on this matter.

Let's build this ultralight now!

Scrap

9. Apr 18, 2018 #329

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

So, let's see how that vertical work surface is going to function. Curious minds want to know!

10. Apr 18, 2018 #330

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I looked in my crystal ball and it said the last of snow and cold is in sight. I see a cool video happening this week.
    Screenshot_20180418-113248.jpg

11. Apr 18, 2018 #331

Pops

Pops

Pops

Also wondering how you are going to handle the problem of room to put the fuselage sides together. Fold down table hinged off the wall and after epoxy is setup, fold table against the wall and hang the fuselage against the ceiling ? Outside on saw horses covered with a tarp ? Where there is a will, there is a way. I'm sure you will work it out. I understand the problems, when my wife and I were first married we lived in a very small apartment where you had to close the refrigerator door to walk past it. I built model airplanes on a piece of plywood on the floor at the foot of the bed and slid it under the bed when not in use. Looking forward to all of the future post.

12. Apr 18, 2018 #332

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

That's a good question. These are not "how to" videos because I've never built a wood airplane so the focus of these videos will be on my trials and struggles of doing exactly the questions you asked. So, everyone gets to see me struggle with figuring it out. It's gonna be a very very different series of videos.

Side note: My brain tells me to take it over to my shop where the Cassutt is and just pound this out. Lol. That would completely ruin the purpose of these videos (get new people in to aviation) if they saw my shop. Haha.

Streffpilot likes this.
  13. Apr 18, 2018 #333

TFF

TFF

TFF

Sitting on the floor is how:). It's the no NASA build.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  14. Apr 18, 2018 #334

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I have one chance at this, so I want it filmed. What I mean is, because I've never built a wood airplane of any sort I can literally take the listener down this path of learning from doing. After this airplane the fact that I have already done it is forever over. I find myself I'm a unique position here and I'd just like to share doing something new.

There's people on YouTube doing "how to" videos buy they are often times pretending they know. Then there's the guys who actually do know, they've done it multiple times. So there's full representation in the "how to" department.

But what about that guy that has other questions like.......

1.) I'd love to do this but I have no room.
    2.) I'd love to do this but my finances are tight.
    3.) I'd love to do this but I'm so busy.
    4.) I'd love to do this but it takes so long.

I get to talk about how I learn, how I manage time, how I deal with life, home, career and how this all fits together. All the things nobody else is talking about. The emotional side, the real truth about doing this. Nothing superficial. Just honesty.

This is where voiceovers are an asset. Visually the listener will see various clips of it going together while I'm building however the audio won't cover build details, it will simply be me narrating about life. So I guess they could learn a little by watching silently, but I hope to help a few people who just need a few other questions asked.

And my kids benefit because they get to see how a man solves life's real problems, not fake ones.

Topaz, Twodeaddogs and cdlwingnut like this.
  15. Apr 18, 2018 #335

Pops

Pops

Pops

I love that you have your kids helping in the build. My kids started helping me build a KR-2 when they were about the same age. Made a difference in their lives in many ways. Now they are 57, 56 and 53 and they still talk about when they were helping build the KR. Building good memories.

16. Apr 18, 2018 #336

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

FWIW: I agree with the notion of sawhorses and another cheap door or two as the fuselage building board.

Going through the design and effort of a hinged board that comes down off the existing wall board is time and energy taken away from primary construction. Sawhorses are relatively inexpensive, and you can make your own out of cull wood or reclaimed wood if the cost is a factor. You can teach Henry (and the rest of us) how to make sawhorses out of garbage heap pallet wood, or throw-away lawn furniture at a grage sale.

As much as I want to think of myself as the Thurston Howell III of homebuilt enthusiasts, the sad truth is that for cheapskate homebuilders like myself, "dumpster diving" has been a real-world resource more than once. This is something that may be an unusual but 100% valid subject of a budget homebuilder video. One good trip to the town dump (or garage sales, scarp bin at the lumberyard, scrap bins behind Wal-Mart. etc.) may yield a bunch of useful stuff for sawhorses, building boards, etc. Wo oden crates that were used to ship a lathe or CNC machine, 2x4 materials that were a frame for a plastic wrapped "palletized" item, etc.

If you have already demonstrated that you can get a scrap door for a dollar or two (I believe this was in one of your videos) then get another one or two, and set them up on home-made or surplus sawhorses for the fuselage table. Since you already have woodworking tools you can make a bunch of tapered shims out of zero-cost scrap wood to level the tabletop - without designing a jackscrew mechanism or anything time-consuming.

17. Apr 18, 2018 #337

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

In my last video, video #4, I show a scan of the two foldable sawhorses in front of my $1 damaged door. Some good options here. TFF may be on to something with the floor as well.

All good stuff, not sure yet how I'll address that. Maybe I'll have my two boys Duke it out on camera?

18. Apr 18, 2018 #338

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Here's a story on Sawhorses from last week, ironically. I mean serious, only I would have a story on Sawhorses.

A couple sold a house and on moving day, the closing day as well, the water heater starts to leak. So in a panic she called me begging for a new water heater in the next 3 hours because she's moving from Wisconsin to Florida.

Of course I did it.

She paid me ahead and everthing was packed up and she left me with a key. So with a empty house I installed this heater. I was locking up and looked up in the ceiling to notice they forgot two unusual sawhorses.
    IMG_20180409_124304435~2.jpg

IMG_20180409_124310970~3.jpg

I was like, dang, these things are kinda cool. I didn't bother calling her or the agent or the new owners so I took two photos and went about my day thinking these would be fun to build.

cluttonfred likes this.
  19. Apr 18, 2018 #339

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

I like your approach because sometimes, the skilled guys on YooToob can do a job so fast and so well that they are not teaching, just demonstrating, which are not the same and they know the handy shortcuts that a first timer won't. A lot of the car servicing videos are like that; they assume a bit of skill or advanced knowledge. As an old teacher of mine said, the best way to learn a topic is to teach someone else how to do it, by breaking the topic down into basic pieces/parts/sections, that, if you are familiar with a subject, you mentally skip over. Looking forward to seeing the videos!!

20. Apr 19, 2018 #340

Gyrojeffro

Gyrojeffro

Gyrojeffro

Welcome to the team scrapper! George may come across as harsh with his texts but I guarantee if you sat down with him and shared a beer y'all would become friends. Building a himax to 103 weight. :)