• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

"Bubba" PSRU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imamac96

Before I drop about $500 to manufacture a prototype for something to do, has anyone tried making a PSRU out of quick-change gear covers and gears?
Something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wpp-3736

Disclaimer:
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I just finished reading Finch's book on auto conversions and reflecting.
I don't plan to fly behind this thing any time in the near future. I was just interested in something to do and a quick project for CAD and machining.

The quick change gears are typically made out of 8620, and it's somewhat comparable (not quite as durable as 4140).
The housing is a fairly expensive piece to machine. Using two as a front and rear with two gaskets separating them from a 3D-milled centerpiece seems like it would bring down cost quite a bit.
The main part I would be concerned about is the bearing surface, but the helical gears are not as plentiful as the spurs, and the spur-type would not produce the axial load like the helicals would.
The big drawback would obviously be weight. These were not necessarily designed to be light.

Thanks,
Connor

Back