Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 11, 2018 #141

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Bought the lumber and plyboard sheet for my 15 ft x 80 inch Victoria airplane trailer project floor today.

30 gallons of exterior discontinued (it got bad reviews and for good reason, only lasted a few years before it'd flake off) "Olympic Rescue-It!" paint and various stain in back was free from friend, in addition to the huge collection I already have, to go into my hanger raw materials hope chest.

[​IMG]

80" 2x4s cross ways at front,middle, and back, with 9-" 2x2s between them every 12 or so inches apart or support, and 3/8th yellow pine plyboard on top ($17/ea Lowes).

Olympic Elite Advanced "Solid" Grey urethane paint(called a stain though) and DeckPlus weatherproof Lifetime guarantee 1 1/4" and 3 1/2" deck screws.

How I'm going to do the outside edge, in like a T sandwich (you know, like half an I beam), with 3 1/2" screws and 2x2's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of extra plyboard I'm going to trim off, so I can add it to the side as facia and more surface area to go upward with it later, like I did with these scrap boards:

[​IMG]

Even we who are destined to dwell in the mud can still long for the sky.

Photoshopped color scheme, you typically see these type hazard stripes across the back of big semi truck trailers, so... anyway, I like them.

[​IMG]

I'm going to try to make some kind of way where I can unbolt the wood floor, raise the trailer u, and support the corners of the floor on concrete blocks, then lower the frame part and pull it out from underneath, for when I want to weld on it and extend it by 4 feet in the future, we'll see how that goes.

I'd also like it so the whole enclosed part could be unbolted and lifted off, so if I ever had to quest far away again to pick up another plane project, I could just take the trailer as a flat bed only. Again, maybe some semi quick disconnect thick bolts at a few critical points. Somewhat modularly configurable, with some work and effort.

Enclosed Trailer build using party tent frame

Inexpensive Trailer Build Thread

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Speedboat100 likes this.
  2. Jun 11, 2018 #142

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

You should think about moving those wheels forward. It's going to be awfully nose heavy when loaded.

3. Jun 11, 2018 #143

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Actually, I'm going to weld 4 ft to it on the back eventually, which will place the wheels closer to the middle.

I'm more worried though about them THEN being too far forward, because I was warned by my dad they have to be back from the middle quite a bit, because if they are to close to the middle your trailer can start a wobble oscilation side to side on the highway.

Tandem axle is not very good in turns, but I'm probably not going to bother chaning it on this trailer. If I build a second one, I think its better to weld up your frame from scratch to match your floor base exactly, and use a single axle with bigger tires.

Just as soon as I got all this unloaded, it rained cats and dogs and I had to cover with tarps, so... I'm done for the day.

4. Jun 12, 2018 #144

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Choppergirl... you are an inspiration! Nice work

5. Jun 12, 2018 #145

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

The loaded trailer determines how it will tow. You need ~15% of the trailer GVW on the tongue or it will sway and wobble. The axle spread will actually work in your favor.

6. Jun 12, 2018 #146

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Thanks for the likes. Sorry I don't answer questions much because I never even read after my own posts hardly anymore.

I don't hang around or read around here anymore, it's too much of a time sink and distraction, I just post once in a blue moon just to show I'm still in the game. Plus my absense makes Topaz's life easier. :)

Building an airplane lost its fun and luster long ago. I just keep plugging and plucking away at it on autopilot, long after I ran out of fumes.

Maybe before I go totally blind, I'll finally get to dub some music over my own flying footage... instead of recycling other peoples footage... until then...

[video=youtube;3Yp4AsG69lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yp4AsG69lI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I just make videos now for myself to keep trudging onward and upward... you guys probably don't like my taste in music anyway. Stay to myself, do my own thing.

If I fly it will be in an airplane built made of ghost parts, snatched on the twilight of their return to mother nature, that music kept me moving along, running that angle grinder, drilling those holes, turning that rachet. Get this trailer finished first. Can't get an airplane to the airport without one, kind of essential kit and prerequisite required piece of the puzzle. If Volmer has one in his pictures, then I need one too.

A lot of time I'm in so much pain, I'm dragging myself around on my butt on my front porch like Christina.
    If I wasn't in so much pain and cursing so much, it might be almost comical.

One foot in front of the other... two steps forward, three steps back, fail upwards... just **** dogged clawing determination.

How are you going to get brutal on reality today and overthrow it to your will to the way you want it to be from the default it is now?

I don't know how to do this ****. You just got to be brutal. Turtle wins the race.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Speedboat100 likes this.
  7. Jun 12, 2018 #147

don january

don january

don january

CG I'm pulling for Dorthy and you. Your too young and full of life to hear your setting the build aside. Frustration is part of the game in a build. No matter there will always be a 440 Cow for Dorthy at my hanger. Don.

8. Jun 12, 2018 #148

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

CG in front of the wheels is the rule.
    I've towed some rather well balanced trailers on occasion. As long as they have a little tongue weight, they've been fine. Too much tongue weight upsets the tow vehicle, especially light ones with the hitch well back from the wheels. One of my favourite small tow vehicles was a BL mini. I was always careful to have a little tongue weight and it worked great. Hitch was pretty close to rear axle and the short wheelbase made reversing so easy. When I've built utility trailers, I put the wheels just behind the centre of the box. Then you just need to load them sensibly. If you can do it, a little toe-in helps with stability, too. UK trailers usually use rubber torsion independent units, which makes setting toe easy. Solid axles are trickier, but if your axle is pre-bent, fit it so the wheels toe in.

If you keep doing stuff, it will eventually be done! We might sound like we're picking holes in your work at times, but we're mostly just trying to stop you repeating mistakes that others have made.

9. Jun 13, 2018 #149

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Airplanes are so light compared to their bulk that a heavy trailer can actually be better. A typical trailer large enough for a plane is sprung for a much heavier load than a plane, meaning it'll be sprung way too stiff for the weight of just the plane and bounce a lot. Some extra weight would smooth the ride and be easier on the plane.

10. Jun 13, 2018 #150

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

There is that. But CG wants to haul other stuff too. Weight is very easy to add, hard to take away. I've ballasted empty trailers a few times. 5 gallon drums are great, you can empty them when you add a real load and recycle.

11. Jun 13, 2018 #151

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

A heavy trailer and light car isn't good. Going down hill is when the heavy trailer starts to push the car and fishtail. I would prefer a trailer about 1/3 of weight of vehicle or the trailer needs brakes.

12. Jun 13, 2018 #152

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Safe towing gets complicated. But I did once bolt a A frame on the front of a Mini, and towed it 90 miles with another mini without any fishy drama...
    I do try not to tow more than I need to, hence not putting the towed mini on a trailer. That would have been heavier and less stable. With CG wanting to use a 2WD S10, a heavy trailer seems unwise.

13. Jun 14, 2018 #153

TFF

TFF

TFF

My wife caught this the other day. Who needs a trailer. I was with a friend who use to tow computer scrap to the junk yard. He had a used computer business. He towed with a Mercedes 240 D and a 5x8 single axel trailer. Best I remember he had 6000 lbs on it one time.

Attached Files:

14. Jun 14, 2018 #154

BJC

BJC

BJC

A 240D is solid on the highway at 80 MPH, but it takes lots of patience to get there.

BJC

15. Jun 14, 2018 #155

TFF

TFF

TFF

Old Mercedes diesels will roam the earth with the cockroaches long after humanity is gone.

Twodeaddogs, pictsidhe and BJC like this.
  16. Jun 14, 2018 #156

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

If you can get them.....Ireland has been stripped of them by citizens of other countries who, appreciating the stock of older cars here, bought and shipped them out as fast as they could, because the downside of modern compulsory car testing is that a lot of very usable but old cars get chopped out of the automobile foodchain, despite the fact that modern car engines will easily top a quarter of a million miles before overhaul. Overhaul!!? Who does that any more, unless it's an old Beetle...

17. Jun 14, 2018 #157

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I've just been to the Shuttleworth collection and saw something that made me think of CG.

20180614_161901.jpg

BJC likes this.
  18. Jun 15, 2018 #158

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Has there even been an ultralight FAR 103 powered autogyro?

19. Jun 15, 2018 #159

BJC

BJC

BJC

Yes, the Air Command.

BJC

20. Jun 15, 2018 #160

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Gyrobee, too