Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 18, 2018 #121

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

But you have to live in France to reap the benefit. That way when you die of clogged arteries at 65 they won't call it CHD.

FWIW, Ancel Keys followed his own advice and lived to be 100. Count me in.

2. May 18, 2018 #122

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

The average French life expectancy is 82.67, one of the highest in Europe. I seriously doubt that they are misattributing cause of death to score points.
    Overall, they are one of the healthier countries, whether they individually die of heart disease, cancer, or meteorites.

You can almost eliminate your risk of skin cancer by avoiding all sunlight. But by doing so, you will drastically increase your risk of bowel cancer and thereby reduce your life expectancy.

You can blame those Peking butterflies!

3. May 19, 2018 #123

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Well, my doctor friend is married to a Navajo woman who swears by keto and makes amazing nearly zero carb dinners... calories are not the enemy, carbs are and new studies are showing that to be true. So for cooking she told me the three preferable cooking oils... number one, lard, number two butter, number three extra virgin olive oil. This was explained to me by my Johns Hopkins friend (researches food ALL the time) and told me why his Navajo wife is correct, and explained in doctor language about the protein chains and how they relate to healthy cell growth and immune system functioning... be happy to send you his contact info... he WILL convince you. Drives my wife crazy, but she too (also a doctor) believes he is absolutely correct. Try ketogenic lifestyle for a month and tell me how you feel. Keto lasagna is excellent, made the normal way without pasta, substitute thin chicken slices for the pasta. Be sure to make your own tomato sauce with organic ingredients.

4. May 19, 2018 #124

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I won't touch factory chicken with a 20' pole, myself.
    When I can keep chickens again, they'll be free range and mainly for eggs.

rbrochey likes this.
  5. May 19, 2018 #125

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I've heard that the three secrets to french cuisine are:
    1. Butter
    2. Butter
    3. Butter

It somehow fails to kill them in droves.

Portions are smaller in France than the USA.

rbrochey likes this.
  6. May 19, 2018 #126

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I love having chickens!

7. May 19, 2018 #127

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

And use square plates...

8. May 19, 2018 #128

Pops

Pops

Pops

My daughter's chicks run loose all day, (Free range to all our city people):) When I lived with my Grandfather raising almost all of our food we usually raised 200-300 chickens. There were two apple orchards of about 30-40 trees each along with the Peach, cherry, plum, etc. In the fall when apples were starting to fall off the trees the chickens would be under the trees picking on the fermented apples and get very drunk. You have never seen anything as funny as hundreds of drunk chickens. They try to walk with their wings dragging the ground to standup but will start running sideways trying not to fall down or backwards and flop over on their backs with their feet in the air squawking. You could look at the apple orchards and see dozens of chickens under each tree on their backs squawking. We also had 2 or 3 free range hogs, ( I can talk city if I want). They would get in the fermented apples along with the chickens but they would just lay down and sleep it off.

Aerowerx and rbrochey like this.
  9. May 19, 2018 #129

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Last time I had chucks it was 140 along with 5 goats and 50 apple trees. We soon learned to fence the goats out of the trees... Chucks went where they liked. Never saw either get drunk. Maybe it was the uk climate.
    I've seen a nature film of very drunk African animals, so have an idea.

10. May 19, 2018 #130

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

View from atop the railroad berm... easy walking down there far from the river, it gets substantially worse...

[​IMG]

Today's Quest was a Brutal Expedition for a quarter mile hike into the marsh and back out of it again, in a long shot quest in search of 6 railroad plates...

[​IMG]

I found one immediately sticking up out of the ground along the top of the berm, then nothing but a big goose egg for the next 20 minutes of my search. I set my bag down, and decided to climb the rocks to see if any plates were there and found one stuck to the timbers with a railroad spike I was able to wiggle back and forth and out. So I was up to a grand total of 2 plates and things weren't looking too fortuitous. When I came back down, I realized one plate was right on the ground buried in the mud where I set my bag, so I started to look around that area and lucked out and found 3 more within feet of my bag. So I got lucky and had my 6, because these things weren't just laying around, it had already been picked over in the last 100 years.

[​IMG]

Orange indicates where I found the plates. Someone had abandoned digging a big hole up there and had left a bucket.

Trestles are from around 1893, some of the older narrow gauge trestle cut stumps are from 1885.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dug this long forgotten and abandoned stack of bricks out of some other woods, and brought them home by hand about a block on my welded up home made cart, in about 5 trips up a hill. Some I used to hold up the Bookends I made for the shelving, so I had more left for this project.

[​IMG]

Finished it in the pouring rain; you can see the rain dripping off the tin roof (maybe) or the falling raindrop speckles in the picture in the photo below...

Carrying 6 of these steel plates a quarter mile through the briars and swamp and jungle (which was dense near the river) was not easy :-/ Other than getting chewed up by briars, only one horsefly pestered me. No gnats or mosquitoes as we've had a dry spell for a month, which just ended a day or two ago, with the rains starting again. No chance yet for them to breed in 2 days. Wet enough though to make it sweltery for me. Not far from this trestle is a lost and overgrown and unmarked slave graveyard on the same unfarmable wetland, according to a dot on 1903 maps, but I have yet to try and locate it.

So anyway, this is why I needed the plates, as a new base atop bricks for my big outdoor box.

[​IMG]

Storing some of my 2 stroke engines in this thingee, which was a winter outdoor dog house someone gave me that I repurposed (removed the dog door at the end), then built a tin roof for and painted in beige latex.

Other plates I had brought out before had years imprinted on them (1903-1914ish - I barely recall), but I did not see any on these.

~ ~ ~ ~

In other news:

I found the brand name (Penco) and "wide span shelves" part number (#20003C) for the uprights for my industrial storage shelves that I want to turn into a temporary hanger, I need/want 3 more upright ends... and got a quote from the company of $67 FOB. I mailed them back and asked how much to ship from there to my location, and he said no more than $150. So $210 + $150 does not sound particularly equitable to me... so I think I'm going to try and weld up my own.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    pictsidhe likes this.
  11. May 19, 2018 #131

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

very interesting but what can you use railway plates for? noob question...how do you do the orange writing on the photo?

12. May 19, 2018 #132

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I can you a hundred of those things they're all over the place here...but what cool photos nicely done as usual CG, and how do you do that orange arrow thing?

13. May 19, 2018 #133

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

That may be the one I was thinking of, in post #112 above. He did a pick and choose to support his predecided theory.

14. May 19, 2018 #134

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Lets say I design a study to look at loss of control accidents during landing based on landing gear design.
    The groups of landing gear I want to look at are fixed tricycle gear, retractable tricycle gear, fixed conventional gear and retractable conventional gear. I collect data, catalog and publish my findings. Lets say retractable tricycle gear have the highest number of loss of control on landing accidents.
    Immediately folks associated with retractable tricycle gear planes (manufacturers, owners, operators) are appalled by such information so they try to discredit: "Pffft! The reason floatplanes were not included in the study is because they didn't provide data to support his predecided theory! Yup, this study is nothing but a hatchet job on retractable tricycle gear airplanes, he picked and chose to support his theory!" Magazine editors will agree or side with manufacturers and publish their opinion. Pilots will read the magazines, include their own anecdotal data and form opinions. Eventually, you'll end up with everyone divided over the issue of which landing gear is 'better' even though less than 1% will read the original study to see what it was all about.

15. May 19, 2018 #135

BJC

BJC

BJC

OK, but what does that have to do with overweight, unhealthy pilots flying tailwheel airplanes?

BJC

Pops likes this.
  16. May 21, 2018 #136

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

People don't like to sully a good argument with well researched facts!

17. May 21, 2018 #137

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Remember this Craigslist freebie?

[​IMG]

Back to scheming today:

[​IMG]

What would a red floor look like?

[​IMG]

Eye catching, but I think I like dark grey better, would hide dirt from my foot prints...

[​IMG]

After waffling for months on how I wanted to do my trailer floor between like 5 different ways, I finally settled today on a stone cold simple 80" wide x 14'6" long bed design that's got all my plyboard seams covered with something wooden underneath to screw into and is straight forward. It may not be the absolute lightest design, maybe 4 or 5 two by fours two heavy IHMO (I thought of ripping some of them down to 2x3 or 2x2's), but as my friend Wiebe says, just get it knocked out and done so you can go pick up your other plane. If I don't like it later when I want to go vertical with it, or extend it by 5 feet, I can tear it apart and rebuild it. So, onward and upward! :) Time to get even more brutal... and get it done and go pick up Unity. :-/ Got to bring her home before November, so, like, this summer asap.

The Current Planned Color Scheme for the Floor:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  18. May 21, 2018 #138

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

My trailer is decked only in three strips where the wheels roll. I bought a $100 (new) 4x8' X 1/8" steel sheet and had them shear it into 2"X 8’ strips. Then welded the strips in a lattice strips for the wheels. Looks the same after 30 years outside with no paint.

19. May 21, 2018 #139

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

The heavier the trailer, the less you can haul.

20. May 21, 2018 #140

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

BBerson is right, as is Pictsidhe; make channels for the wheels of the aircraft and cut off or leave off anything else that is not directly related to the carriage of the aircraft. All you need after that is hard points for tie-downs. make sure it is road legal, after that.