Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 17, 2018 #81

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'm a firm believer that these Atkins type diets propagate Cancer. Cancer has no cure, but research and data has confirmed a lot about the relationship of diet and cancer.

It's easy to say "our ancestors ate" but actual data and studies show the truth. For starters, our ancestors didn't live long. Period. They did not set the bar on diet by any stretch. It's a mistake to look in to the past for diet advice when we have answers and solutions readily available for anyone looking to find out the truth.

A pilot whith a reasonable I.Q. would not be bias. If his/her intent is to increase health span and fly as long as possible this person would look at all research you to date and would never ever trust a doctor. We all have access to the same information that doctors do.

A pilot interested in flying well in to his/her 80's and 90's may be interested in looking up something called "blue zones". We know who lives long and healthy lives, they eact starches, lots of starches..... carbohydrates.
    https://www.bluezones.com/2015/04/t...althiest-people-9-questions-for-dan-buettner/

A pilot interested in flying for decades may want to look up history like, smoking which doctors and government recommended. It literally took 70 years of fighting for doctors and government to tell people you will die from smoking. It took 50 years for doctors to tell people asbestos was deadly. You can not trust a doctor. Read. Study. Research.

A smart pilot interested in flying as a senior citizen may want to research how many classes on nutrition are taught at medical school. This same pilot may want to look up athletes and what they do. Look up vegan athletes, what do they do?

A pilot who is serious about life span or health span as it concerns cancer may want to read and understand the studies done on sugar feeding cancer. What does that actually mean? Who did the study? Was it accurate. And is sugar from Mt Dew really the same as converted sugar from natural foods like potatoes or strawberries?

I myself am very well read on this topic, extremely well read. I suggest anyone interested in flying long term do some research in to the truth and never ever under any circumstances take anyone's advise because your life actually does depend in the truth.

Good luck fellow pilots, I hope you all live a long and healthy life and are able to fly well in to your 90's because it's possible.

Brutality today.

2. May 17, 2018 #82

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Scrapper, if you haven't come across the 'Perfect health diet' book, I suggest you pick up a copy. It probably holds the record for citations in a diet book. I can't see you failing to learn something from it.
    One topic the authors looked at extensively was the diet of the longest lived people. That turns out to br pacific islanders before they discovered the delights of western food.

3. May 17, 2018 #83

Pops

Pops

Pops

Lots of family members lived to 100 to 106 years old. My father died young at 92 years old when his 2 sisters lived over 100. I went to my great aunt's 100 th birthday party and she just had a book published. She looked about 75 years old at the most. My mother's sister quit driving a car at about 95 years old when he spent her time driving all the old people to the doctors. She died at 103 years old. My grandfather's brother retired from working at about 95 years old and lived well over 100. When I was 16 years old my great uncle was in his mid 80's and could out run me and working in the hay fields in the summer, no one could keep up with him. I have been on the end of a 2 man cross-cut saw cutting timber with him when I was 15/16 years old and 6' tall x 195 lbs and have to stop and rest and he would tell me, " What's wrong youngen, can't you take it" .

Picture of my Grandfather at 80 years old. Tough old man. He could do more work in one hour at 80 than I can do all day at 78 years old, ( 1876-1959). Born the day George Custer died. Picture of me at 76 years old, the older I get the more I look like him.
    Grandfather 100% Chickasaw. Do I miss him. Picture Grandfather with a War Bonnet on and setting on a horse. He always had several horses and loved horses. My father grew up with horses and said that there wasn't a horse alive that he couldn't ride. But the 2 year old wild stallion that weighed 1700 lbs made a believer out of him.
    I have a picture of Grandfather's Mother, ( 1847-1925) but for some reason I can't get it on.

Attached Files:

4. May 17, 2018 #84

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'm not interested personally, I'm happy with my current lifestyle. I started Paleo and quit. I've done my reading and 2 years ago made changes in my life accordingly. Knowing what I know I would never trust anyone who recommends liver, eggs, red meat etc. It's basically a next level Paleo. Even low level doctors who are not vegan know the damage that animal products like red meat cause. The Paleo books are being rejected as time goes on, quality unbiased research does not support this lifestyle.

I am a vegan and the health changes I've personally delt with are nothing short of incredible and I still have a long way to go. My wife is a vegan as well and currently training for a Ironman in fact she just got home from a 60 mile bike ride. Vegan powered. Like I said, it took 70 years to determine smoking was bad all the while these so called expert doctors were smoking in hospitals and denying it. I trust research I read. These books are printed bto sell books. Authors manipulate data and conveniently leave information out.

I refuse to eat animal products of any sort. Never again.

And I have read about long living people. Again, blue zones. Carbohydrates, starches, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, mushrooms. Once I learned I put it in to practice. Once I put it in to practice it all became crystal clear.

Again, nobody should take my advice. If you want decent odds of living a full life and a high probability of flying airplanes in to your later years please do proper research using unbiased studies. A good place to start is Dr Gregers work at nutritionfacts.org and it's all ftee. All his videos are free on YouTube I believe. All the research bpapers he reads daily are also available.

Anyhow. I have nothing more to add. Hopefully people will eat well and fly for many decades to come.

5. May 17, 2018 #85

Pops

Pops

Pops

I love vegetables, fruits and eat very,very little red meat, I just don't like it. All of my life my blood sugar level is between 65-70. PSA is 1. I do not eat any white sugar, just a little honey sometimes. Eat as little process foods as I can.

6. May 17, 2018 #86

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Actually. I do have something to add and this is strictly my opinion but I do believe one day I will be proven correct.

Research on calories is just not available and what is available is not reliable but here goes.

Regardless of what you eat I'm a firm believer that total calories consumed per day is much more relevant than what we eat. I believe food has a compounding effect over time and our bodies just can't deal with the mass quantities we eat. I believe the daily recommended calories is false.

I believe we should eat within a short window (intermittent fasting) and water should be the foundation of our diet and the foods we eat should be absolutely minimal.

Studies on ultra skinny people (not many studies available) show some pretty interesting trends. Look at women who peck at foods and hardly eat much, they live long and are active late in life.

Everyone is unique. I mean, look at the size difference between people it's crazy. But we all have the same size heart, pancreas, kidney, spleen, liver etc. I truly believe that excess calories are very very bad. I believe the body has issues with this. So those calories had better be high quality like broccoli, berries, kale etc.

So yeah, my opinion only, on average people consume far too many calories and nobody is really studying it like they should. Of course, that's a darn hard study.

Skinny people, I mean skinny, tend to live long lives . Most 80+ year old pilots I know who are still flying are skinny as a fence post.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. May 17, 2018 #87

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

It's not a secret the Okinawans have some of the best longevity of human people and they accomplished that on a diet that consist mainly of sweet potatoes. The low carb crowd will have you believe sweet potatoes are unhealthy, which is nonsense.

8. May 17, 2018 #88

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Calorie restriction has been proven for life extension in every mammal tested, I think. Not conclusive for humans yet, for lack of tests. But could extend lifespan 30%. Requires little or no body fat. (which helps for flying light and small airplanes :))

9. May 17, 2018 #89

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

That's been proven to be fallacy many times over: https://www.cancercenter.com/discussions/blog/does-sugar-feed-cancer/

ibid, Your body is designed to run on glycogen one of the best sources of glycogen is starchy vegetables.

10. May 17, 2018 #90

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I think calorie restriction might prevent cancer. With limited fuel, growth (cancer growth) is stopped.
    Just my guess. I don't know if it has been studied.

My dad had cancer and the doctor ordered a high protein diet. I told my dad to go vegan and low protein. My dad outlived the doctor.

11. May 17, 2018 #91

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Scrapper, you can't pass judgement on a book without reading it first. I was veggie when I read it and although it didn't persuade me to eat meat again, I did modify my veggie diet. It actually suggests not eating too much meat and discusses, at length, various non-meats. Fats are a major theme.
    It seems that I have an inherited intolerance to many vegetables. Likely a major factor in my grandmother getting bowel cancer...
    That's why I personally took up meat again, I worked out that most of my veggie protein sources upset me in large doses. I eat more fish than meat, few eggs. I know I should cut down on milk, but like it too much...

Meanwhile, choppergirl is muttering "Brutes, now they're arguing about their pet diet fads in my thread!"

rbrochey likes this.
  12. May 17, 2018 #92

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Yeah, I'm in total agreement.

Protein is an interesting thing to study. Americans are obsessed with protein and it's all based on a ridiculous study that was done years ago. Then it got pushed. Now it's on menu boards at restaurants that say "pick your protein".

When I look at pilots like Steve Wittman, Bob Hoover etc they were thin. They had minimal muscle. It's one think to grow old and another to be old and still useful or healthy.

I think we live in a society where it's "cool" to have big muscles and workout like Arnold Schwartzenegger but my gut tells me this is not so healthy. I'm actually a bit concerned about my wife because she works out really really hard. I think too much of that is also bad.

Back to skinny old pilots like Steve Wittman. They ate minimally. They didn't hit the gym and squat #500 lbs 5 days a week and shovel down protein in droves. They just stayed active, socialized, consumed lots of water, ate minimally and let it digest over a very large window. I'm guessing, and it's "broscience" but I'd bet I'm right. I have about 5 pilot friends who are over 80 and that's exactly what they do. Anecdotal, I know, but I feel I'm right on this.

BBerson likes this.
  13. May 17, 2018 #93

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I did read most of it, I thought I mentioned that. I think the book is flat out wrong. I've been on my vegan lifestyle for almost 2 years, I'm done reading and questioning diets because I feel it's done wonders for me. I have zero reason to change. People can do what they want, I'm happy with my solution.

14. May 17, 2018 #94

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Chopper girl, sorry for the thread drift.

15. May 17, 2018 #95

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Not Scrapper but I'm familiar with it. It's just a repackaged low carb diet, period. The general argument made in the book uses the "blue sky theory" which I will try to explain in as few words as possible.

If one goes outside and takes a digital picture of the clear sky, it appears blue. However, if one zooms in to the point individual pixels are seen, in addition to blue pixels, there are yellow and black pixels (and other colors) as well. Overwhelming the majority are blue pixels but other colors are indeed present. Now someone comes along and tells you the sky is not really blue and they have evidence to support that claim by focusing only on those pixels that are other than blue. That obviously contradicts the big picture that the sky is blue. Using that "evidence" (and we can indeed show with science that those pixels are not blue - and use those citations in our argument) is the basis of the argument. However, at the end of the day, one can only buy into that argument (which is patently false) if they completely ignore the whole picture.

In diet terms, one has to ignore the enormous body of science (the collective blue sky) that shows human populations that consume mostly plant based meals are the healthiest and live the longest and instead focus on one macronutrient (individual pixel in isolation) to convince one they should be focused on consuming that macronutrient (the yellow or black pixel from the picture) because it's that part responsible for overall good health (blue sky).

If one likes a big plate of greasy bacon or bowl of ice cream with all he toppings, having someone come along and say those foods are healthy is music to one's ears! Can now eat away guilt free! Nothing like hearing good things about bad habits.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    BBerson and Little Scrapper like this.
  16. May 17, 2018 #96

Pops

Pops

Pops

I agree with LS on most of what he says. All of my family members that lived over 100 years old ate "light" with very little red meat and as my great uncle that could out run me when he was in his 80's and I was 16 years used to say, " If you like to eat a lot, eat less each day and you will live longer so in the end you get to eat more". I believe he was right.

Chopper girl, I believe I'm the worst at thread drift and I will try and do better. Thanks, everyone for putting up with me. CG I do enjoy your post , love to see people tell about their dreams. Keep on dreaming and working towards you dreams and they will come true.

flyinut, Little Scrapper and rbrochey like this.
  17. May 17, 2018 #97

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Funny how it's 2018 and as of May 27th 8:57 nobody can agree on the ideal diet. I certainly can't say I have the answer but boy would I love to be working on airplanes in my 90's.

Weird thing. Animals in the wild have highly predicable mortality rates and it doesn't change over time. They don't over eat and they don't under eat. They are always the
    absolute perfect weight. Then take domesticated animals like dogs or cats and they end up with cancer, bumps everywhere etc.

I think the answers we seek are closer than we think.

18. May 17, 2018 #98

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

lol, don't bet on it. It took 7000 studies for the medical community to reach consensus that smoking was indeed linked to lung cancer. Apparently some were not convinced by the first three, four or five thousand studies. The number of unbiased studies showing plant based nutrition is the best alternative for human beings is around 1/10th of the number, the beef, poultry and dairy industry are dug in like a tick on a hound dog's scruff. They ain't giving up that easy. They will be funding low carb studies till the end.

19. May 17, 2018 #99

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I also agree that overeating is unhealthy. That book resonated with me as it agreed with many of my long standing beliefs: sugars are not good in the quantity we eat them. I also believe highly processed factory food is not the best stuff to eat.
    My mother spent all my childhood and another 2 decades hopping from one low-fat 'weight loss' diet to another. They didn't work. Meanwhile, my dad and stepmother ate plenty of fatty foods and utterly failed to become overweight. I noticed. Looking at 'low fat' diet food, it is often laced with sugar. It is not filling. My mother would eat her low fat diet food, then be hungry again an hour later. Now we have finally convinced her to eat normal food like the rest of us, she has shrunk down... I have never avoided fat to moderate my weight and have also failed to ever be overweight.
    Claims and theories are one thing, but as they say, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'.
    If you are healthy too, keep doing what are doing.
    If you aren't, look at healthy people for inspiration.
    Vegetarianism turned out to be unsuitable for me, but maybe it is fine for others.
    Now, time for my blood pressure self-medication: a tin of oily fish. Doubles as lunch, too!

20. May 18, 2018 #100

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

A "tin of oily fish"! Absolutely, I've been eating three tins a week of wild caught (Wild Planet) sardines (in extra virgin olive oil) for years now... my last check up was to see if I was fit to fly an aircraft (see, aviation related) and as he looked at my current blood work said "your numbers are just incredible for your age... right down the line, perfect functions. What are you eating? " I told him sardines for my omegas and D vitamins... chaga mushrooms for DNA support (a thousands years old support) lots of cucumin with bioprine...and a soft ketogenic plate to keep my live burning fat instead of carbs.. (sugar). I also know that all nutrients are not created equal, in the case of iron, your cells need the type of iron found in meat, not vegies... the compound is NOT the same... basically an all vegetable diet is sure to create a nutritional deficiency of some type. I also told him that even with the health issues I've had (very serious) I keep in mind that we are (our species) omnivores... and we are designed to eat other animals and plants (but above the ground plants only. I don't like eating much meat but I eat enough to stay healthy. (A quarterpounder a day keeps the doctor away( with no bun)). Anyway I take zero medications and I know the things I'm doing has really made me healthy... I know everyone has an opinion, but I know what has worked!!!