Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 31, 2019 #401

robertl

robertl

robertl

It takes leg work, or well, you know, actually looking. I have always liked the VP I and II and I look on several sites waiting to find one that someone wants to get rid of. I'm selling all the CH 701 parts that I've built because I want to fly, not build anymore but, If there was a VP project that didn't need too much work, I'd be on it like stink on a monkey !

2. Aug 3, 2019 #402

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

3. Aug 4, 2019 #403

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Are you inferring that stinks monkey?

4. Aug 5, 2019 #404

robertl

robertl

robertl

Back in the day, (a long, long time ago, on a planet way down south) when the "Fair" came to town, there were always some strange animals in cages in some old painted up tent. And for a quarter, you could walk through and look at these poor, mistreated creatures, and the monkeys, having a little more brain power, than say, some large, strange rodent, just might fling some of his dung at you. Just saying!

5. Aug 5, 2019 #405

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

We had one of those weird homebrew road side zoos too.

Been closed for decades, I'm guessing 50 years, but the sign has been up for as long as I can remember.

[​IMG]

The rusty sign in the front has pictures of the animals on it, if you can make them out.

[​IMG]

Too busy working a minimum wage job to do any engineering.

[​IMG]

That doesn't mean I didn't spend the weekend searching Google Earth for an airstrip location, printing out the sign above for joggers and laminating it and thumb tacking it out on my driveway, ordering a 5'x3' custom cloth flag from China for the shop wall, emailing Norfolk Southern about some abandoned railway spur I really want as an airstrip, and doing other sundry things.

[​IMG]
    If the printed flag comes out pretty, I'm kicking around the idea of giving one away free for "getting your wings" to hang up in your hanger / workshop as hanger art, to anyone who completes a plane and actually flies it for the first time and uploads a video of it. Now that I have a crappy job, I could do stuff like that. This place badly needs me to start a "Free Stuff" thread.

I ran my hand across Dorothy Fuselage tube today for about half a foot and got a palm full of black dust. I was like dang, did building my trailer take that long and all that metal cutting and smoke from the wood stove create that much dust?

Home Depot and Lowes are now carrying some Rustoleum spray can florescent colors... in Pink, Orange, Yellow, and Green. All that is missing is Purple, but they have a 2x brand version in Purple. I'm wondering how well spray on florescents would work on dacron.

Do you sing to your plane project and dance in your shop? I do... I'm probably the oddball around here.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    litespeed and Dennis DeFrange like this.
  6. Aug 5, 2019 #406

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Woops, wrong thread! Supposed to be in the plastic fuel tank thread. CG, try paintball guns for the VJ when you get it flying. Be careful what you use as a target, we don't want to be reading about you in the local papers. Cop cars are NOT acceptable targets. A couple of kids north of Charlotte, NC found out the hard way a few years back. Tho maybe a couple of water balloons......!

"Well, my fuel container will NOT be a wally world one. I do lots of business with companies which provide products for WallyWorld and their QC is basically, "Is it the right color? If so, it's ok, then." I have a tank with API approvals which I used back when I worked in the petroleum industry. About 4 times heavier than your typical lawnmower fuel container. All my other fuel cans stay in the back of the pickup. Flying a 150 with auto-gas STC at the moment. Hey, it flies and my friend is trying to pay off an engine overhaul, so cash gets me flight time with an instructor at half the local flight school! Lugging high-test non-alcohol gives me a good workout to boot.
    When I get the Hawk recovered, I will have a decision to make, as it has two wing tanks, which pushes me out of Pt 103 as they are 5 gal or so each, plus an in-fuselage tank."

Derswede

7. Aug 5, 2019 #407

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

A bundle of roman candles duct taped together would be fun... in Georgia fireworks are illegal, but right across the state line is South Carolina are boodles of firework stands, so you can imagine... how enforcable that is. I don't even have to go anywhere to watch fireworks, I can sit on my front porch and see them in my neighborhood... someone around here spends some serious $$$ on them and is a big fan of them, the big explody sparkly starburst kind. And they don't shoot them off just on holidays, sometimes quite randomly at night. About a week ago, in fact

8. Aug 5, 2019 #408

robertl

robertl

robertl

Love the Polka Band !

9. Aug 5, 2019 #409

robertl

robertl

robertl

If someone shoots at me with Roman Candles, I'm firing back with my 9mm. Just sayin" !

Derswede likes this.
  10. Aug 12, 2019 #410

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

The requests keep trickling in for my free plane, some of them heart wrenching, so I'm thinking maybe I switch up the deal and instead of creating 1 winner and 250 losers... I instead give everybody who wrote 1 share ownership certificate in the plane, and create 250 guaranteed winners instead and start a flying club, and create 250 new airplane owners. Catapult them out of the dreamer category into the owner category.

I think I'll start off by creating a subscribe/unsubscribe mailing list to keep them all connected with updates and I have to brainstorm some public place where they can all visit it, meet it, look at it, work on it, contribute to it, etc. My shop is kind of way out in the sticks, so maybe the first time will in a Harbor Freight parking lot on my trailer on a weekend. Eventually, of course I want to buy an old farmer's field and set up a glider park.

Anyway, at some point I'm going to need to setup a class and a flight simulator and teach 250 people how to fly. Because what the F is the point of owning a share in a plane, if you're not going to get a chance at flying it, at least once in ground effect, as a stepping stone to even higher. Maybe a series of Youtube videos, if such a course does not already exist.

Choppergirl's second cannon shot fired across the bow of the local EAA...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. Aug 12, 2019 #411

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Oh, thats going to work for sure. After all the Soviet Union was a huge success....oh....wait....

mcrae0104 and BJC like this.
  12. Aug 12, 2019 #412

robertl

robertl

robertl

Don't be going all soft with, "everybody deserves a trophy" ! If you want to give it away, just have one winner and be done with it and carry on with what other projects you may have, don't make it more complicated than it has to be. KISS !
    Bob

13. Aug 12, 2019 #413

narfi

narfi

narfi

Personally, I am not a fan of changing deals mid stream.

Perhaps a better approach would to be keep your current plan/rules the same, then start a new project for your large club with a different airframe or group of airframes.

14. Aug 21, 2019 #414

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

My airfield windsock came today. Now I just need the airfield...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm going to be offering this flag, or rather, a special version of it with wings, *FREE* as a trophy of war to hang in your man cave or on your hanger wall, to anyone who COMPLETES their first airplane or airplane restoration project AND flies it for the first time.

All you have to do is send me a link to a video of your plane (or flying machine) finished and you flying it as pilot (in it, obviously - RC or quadcopter toy don't count)). One flag per person, subject to my discretion and ability to afford it at the moment. I may slacken the rules or tighten them up on a per case basis, depending on your scenario. The point being, I'm giving them away to encourage people to finish building their very first flying machine, finishing it, and taking their first flight in it as the pilot. if it's your FIRST airplane, or FIRST of something major aviation related accomplishment, well then it's probably a yes.

If you have 5 airplanes in the hanger already, and a private pilots license, and buy a Cessna from your buddy Hal 5 years ago, get the motor running after it sat that long, and taxi it around the airport and take it up in the air and shoot a video, then um, probably no. However, if you've never flown an airplane before with you as pilot, or refurbed an airplane engine all by yourself down to the ground and back up again, well... that might be another thing...

When you get the flag, keep it plain, or stretch it over something so it's tight and flat, and take a Sharpie and sign it with your pilot nickname / callsign / handle, date of first flight, and the name and/or model/type of your airplane, and hang it up high in your shop if you like. Boom. You made it all the way. You climbed that effing hill. Congratulations. You at least got one of Choppergirl's coveted First Flight flags for your effort. You only get that by finishing a plane and flying it for the first time.

My email is choppergirl @ air-war.org without the spaces - so shoot me your FIRST FLIGHT VIDEOS in YOUR FIRST FIXED UP or FINISH BUILD (homebuilt?) AIRPLANE... and of course mailing address. It takes about a month to arrive to your mailbox (if in the continental US) from my supplier; if I think yes, or other criteria, I'll let you know. May also give them away for MAJOR achievements in aviation. At any rate, it's at my discretion 100%, until I can bother formulating some yardstick in words you have to make it across).

Aside note - I don't care if you've been a douche bag to me in the past, and ohmigod quite a lot of you here have been - I'm rather egalitarian about it. If you finish building a plane and fly it, and you made it, you get a flag with wings on it. What you do with it is up to you. If you hate it, give it to your teenage daughter who might love horses. If you don't want it or think this is a stupid idea, then all you got to do is don't ask me for it, spare me the vitriol, and /ignore this thread : - P I'm just trying to do something fun, and as far as I know nobody else awards anything for finishing your first home built plane and flying it. So. There. Now there is.

~

In other news...

I can get clippings of just about anything from the garden center where I work, and a little TakeRoot rooting compound and some SOLO Cups and Potting Soil and some time.... makes hundreds of new flowering cloned baby trees and shrubs. Which I already have started on my front porch with a whole lot of Crepe Mrytle clippings and 100 solo cups.

So, I'm thinking something like a miniture manicured WW1 Aerodrome Alice in Wonderland type Ultralight and Glider Park inspired by Triple Tree which itself is inspired by Master's Golf Course...

"I would while away the hours
    Conversing with the flowers
    Admiring what I build.."

"I would laugh and be merry
    Life would be a bowl of cherries
    If I had a green air-field..."

Who said cult? Flying Circus, not cult! =(^v^)= I prefer to think of it as upstart alternative to EAA.

My airplanes have to wait until I pay off my CC's which are still at 0% balance transfer rate.... so, airplanes on hold while I do that. Gives me something fun to do in the mean time. About to pay off #2 of 3 this week, big one for last.

I did this week though buy someones old gamer rig guts off of ebay.. an AMD AM3+ FX motherboard this week with 32 gigbabytes of RAM and an FX 6300... for $100 total including shipping... I had to jump on it for the 32gb of RAM that came with it.

I'm going to put an old FX 8350 in it and Nvidia 1060 or something, so I can run Drone Racing League and Liftoff quadcopter simulators in addition to my MS flight sims I already have and use the RC faux handheld transmitter usb controller, flight stick, and pedals David donated.

I want to get into FPV Quadcopters because that's where all the hot innovation is happening by millenials... nothing is happening in aviation... and if I pick up a racing quadcopter and pair of goggles, I can at least get a view up in the air and fly around before my planes are finished and fly as effing dangerous as I want around the farm.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  15. Aug 21, 2019 #415

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Looks more like a flag than a sock.
    Would showing up in person at an airfield of your choosing substitute for YouPuke? Don't worry, It won't be tomorrow...

16. Sep 2, 2019 #416

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

The Romance of Flight...

[​IMG]

Taking off your wings in the dark, all by yourself, at night, in advance of Hurricane Dorian, using towers of stinky garbage cans to hold up both wings.

You would think wings would be light, but they are not, and finding the center of gravity of them, to balance them on your head, as you are walking around and moving them around, is beyond tricky.

I'm thinking this whole idea of foldable wings is unpractical and untenable, and it's so much trouble to take off an put on these strut thingees, I'm just going to have to build my own airport and hanger first, if I want to fly. And maybe my own country, to build my own airport and hanger in. This is getting ludicrous. I'm putting aviation in the top 10 worst hobbies... EVER.

~

So, screw building an airplane, my advice, don't get into this, and if you do, you should build an airstrip and a hanger first... that way at least you can host fly in's, and other events, others can fly in and visit you, and give you an airplane rides until you finish your own airplane and leave the wings on all the time in your hanger.

Onward and upward!
    Back to the Salt Mines tomorrow...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  17. Sep 2, 2019 #417

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

18. Oct 14, 2019 #418

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    delta likes this.
  19. Oct 15, 2019 #419

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

20. Oct 15, 2019 #420

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

The trailer has become functional! It makes all the work worthwhile!